PC David Rathband found dead

Shame that, I always felt he or his wife never got adequate support.

What an absolute bloody shame.

He always seemed to come across as very self depreciating and honourable.

RIP

I don't normally do the RIP threads, but this saddens me.

I cannot begin to understand what grief and anguish Dave Rathband had to endure. For some it's just too much.

My sympathies to his family and friends.

Poor bugger. RIP

Very sad news, but unsurprising, as there was a certain amount of inevitability about it. Another fatality of Moat's rampage. I wonder if that grief whore who attended Moat's funeral with her sprog will bother her arse to show some empathy to this death?
RIP PC Rathband.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Perhaps slightly inappropriate but my first reaction was anger - at the trash who see Moat as some kind of 'hero'. He's taken that man's life. After the event, perhaps, but I still see this as murder, not suicide.

I'm desperately sorry that PC Rathband was unable to come to terms with things or gain the support he needed. RIP.

Perhaps slightly inappropriate but my first reaction was anger - at the trash who see Moat as some kind of 'hero'. He's taken that man's life. After the event, perhaps, but I still see this as murder, not suicide.

I'm desperately sorry that PC Rathband was unable to come to terms with things or gain the support he needed. RIP.
Probably the same sentiments as the majority of law abiding people.

RIP PC Rathband

Sadly, I think you are correct. Most Public Servants who suffer injury or trauma in the line of duty do not get adequate support, I am afraid.
Hence why he felt the need to need to create his own charity to help those in the Emergency services in need.

An absolute shame and a sad loss

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Shame that, I always felt he or his wife never got adequate support.
This is maybe not the place for a debate, but I cant agree. David was regarded as a hero in the north east and became mates with the high and the low. Northumbria Constabulary were as supportive as they could be - he was still a serving officer yesterday and Chief Constable Sue Sim was exemplary in her support both on a personal and a professional level. Anybody who heard the (I think) Jeremy Vine interview with David and his wife Kath on BBC Radio 2 a while back will know why.

R.I.P.

This is maybe not the place for a debate, but I cant agree. David was regarded as a hero in the north east and became mates with the high and the low. Northumbria Constabulary were as supportive as they could be - he was still a serving officer yesterday and Chief Constable Sue Sim was exemplary in her support both on a personal and a professional level. Anybody who heard the (I think) Jeremy Vine interview with David and his wife Kath on BBC Radio 2 a while back will know why.

R.I.P.
Probably spot on that. Police ,Fire or Armed services and the like are almost 'too big' to keep that special eye on victims all the time and are taken to task the moment caring 'slips' Hard to bear sometimes but life must go on. He was a man who appeared on the outside to have found ultimate 'failure' in coping with the loss of his sight and other related complications. Was sitting in the car this morning listening to the radio and a recording of David himself saying that he had heard that it takes around 10 yrs to come to terms with the loss of your sight and that he couldn't 'see' past the next twelve months.
What a tragic waste.
R.I.P.

Sorry to hear the news, in an interview shortly after the event he said that he'd been told it takes ten years to get to grips with blindness. His comment that he 'couldn't even see the end of ten days', was either unintentional, or one of the bravest pieces of self-deprecating humour I have ever heard, I like to think the latter.

I wonder how many bunches of flowers will be left outside his house?