Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PC boot-up problem

It sounds like a graphic driver issue - try to disable ULPS, you can do that by editing the registry - google fu this "Disable ULPS".

Also you can start the pc in safe mode (press f8 during boot), and start windows without drivers - if the pc boots normaly and fast, you can disable each driver individually from the control panel until you find what's causing the issue.

On my Laptop - editing these registry values disables ULPS:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000]
"EnableUlps_NA"="0"
"EnableUlps"=dword:00000000
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\amdkmdag]
"EnableUlps_NA"="0"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000]
"EnableUlps_NA"="0"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\amdkmdag]
"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

Last edited:

JCC

War Hero
My laptop which is about 4 years old installed a massive W10 update and now refuses to do anything. I’m cutting my losses and looking at Amazon refurbished Macbooks
Before you do that maybe install something like Ubuntu? It's very similar (but much better) to Windows and totally free so if it works and is suitable then no harm done.

Before you do that maybe install something like Ubuntu? It's very similar (but much better) to Windows and totally free so if it works and is suitable then no harm done.
I don’t think I can get far enough to install anything. Dunno about ubuntu, I think it’s Umbongoed!

XPara Mugg

War Hero
Hmmm, it sounds like the fücking thing is fücking fücked. Have you tried unfücking it?

hope this helps.

Anthony Burgess Walt;)

Link: Review

Burgess’s interest in slang as a political discourse perhaps comes from his time during the 1939-45 war, when he was stationed in Gibraltar in the Army Education Corps. In the chapter he remembers how a certain word popular among his fellow soldiers was used to denote frustration:

Why the most pleasurable activity known to mankind, and the organs by which it is procured, should be debased through the use of the basic, or quadrilateral, terms as expressions of opprobrium has never been adequately explained. ‘*******’, it is true, can be used as a neutral intensifier in ‘******* good’ and ‘******* stupid’, but to be ‘fucked’ or participate in a state of ‘fuckup’ is to be in a state of distress. I once heard an army motor mechanic complain of his recalcitrant engine by crying ‘**** it, the ******* ******’s ******* fucked. There you have the word used as five distinct parts of speech. To be called ‘a prick’ (though never ‘a penis’), ‘a ****’ or ‘a twat’ is not pleasant. There is perhaps a fundamental puritanism in such usages, a denial of the holiness of sexual pleasure, which, of course, explains the taboo.

“**** it — the ******* ******’s ******* fucked the ******.”

Interjection. Adjective. Subject noun. Adverb. Past participle. Object noun.

Something is lost by the ******* 'Bowdlerising' function.

Interesting read here: Link

Last edited:
WIN-10

PC is taking around 10 minutes to boot up. Appears to hang on the gigabytes motherboard screen for around 10 minutes-then windows eventually starts.
Only have wireless keyboard so unable to F6 into boot options etc at that point as keyboard not detected at that point.

Have tried system restore but it fails saying something along lines of 'unable to extract Onedrive file...'

ANy suggestions what the problem could be ?

Have not installed any new hardware recently.
It sounds as though you have 'fastboot' enabled. next time you get in, enter BIOS and turn Fastboot off. Might work.

It sounds as though you have 'fastboot' enabled. next time you get in, enter BIOS and turn Fastboot off. Might work.
It only started doing it a few days ago. I have not changed any of the bios settings myself.

Are the batteries low in the wireless keyboard
Battery was low, yes. Have just changed it after having tested it. How could this affect boot time?

anglo

LE
Battery was low, yes. Have just changed it after having tested it. How could this affect boot time?
The computer checks if the keyboard is there, as soon as it starts to engage, the battery power drops and
it disengages, the computer waits and tries again, eventually it will connect,
remember the battery has to run the Wi-Fi connection

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Slight thread drift...but might be useful for OP to know anyhow.
Anyone any experience with Windows 11 which was supposedly released in August?
I've not had any nudges from Microsoft.
One wonders if " If it aint broke...ferkin' leave it"
Must avoid Dingerr's YoorWellFuckityFukked list.:(
Well Google suggests this turns out to have been a load of bolleaux when it was announced.

Well Google suggests this turns out to have been a load of bolleaux when it was announced.

Thanks guys.
Exactly why I found it odd.
I reckon I'd best start saving for a decent Apple summat.

It only started doing it a few days ago. I have not changed any of the bios settings myself.
Widows does silent updates, It's changed my settings a few times already - so just because you never changed anything yourself doesn't mean windows will change anything. It doesn't change bios settings - however it can change settings in the registry.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
It sounds like a graphic driver issue - try to disable ULPS, you can do that by editing the registry - google fu this "Disable ULPS".

Also you can start the pc in safe mode (press f8 during boot), and start windows without drivers - if the pc boots normaly and fast, you can disable each driver individually from the control panel until you find what's causing the issue.

On my Laptop - editing these registry values disables ULPS:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000]
"EnableUlps_NA"="0"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\amdkmdag]
"EnableUlps_NA"="0"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000]
"EnableUlps_NA"="0"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\amdkmdag]
"EnableUlps_NA"="0"

I would be very leery about digging around in the bios unless I was **very** confident in both my abilities and that it would actually resolve the issue. as a wise man once said, 'tread lightly, lest ye step in shit'.

I have both Windows 8.1 and windows 10 on this PC. I installed windows 10 because windows 8.1 was no longer supported by a few companies who's products I used.

I've heard a lot of people say windows 8 sucked but to be honest I've never had a problem with it. Windows 10 on the other hand has been nothing but problems for me.

I would be very leery about digging around in the bios unless I was **very** confident in both my abilities and that it would actually resolve the issue. as a wise man once said, 'tread lightly, lest ye step in shit'.
The registry and Bios are not the same thing dude, I never said to mess with the Bios - I said to check the ULPS settings in the registry - which is a windows thing.
ULPS - Ultra low power settings....

Some times the GPU will go into a sleep state (black screen) for a long time during windows boot up if this is set on - turning this off, results in a far faster bootup on certain computers.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I have both Windows 8.1 and windows 10 on this PC. I installed windows 10 because windows 8.1 was no longer supported by a few companies who's products I used.

I've heard a lot of people say windows 8 sucked but to be honest I've never had a problem with it. Windows 10 on the other hand has been nothing but problems for me.
Throughout the history of Windows (I'm going from memory from a decade or more back, so don't quote me) there have been two code streams, originally one for x86 and one for New Technology (RISC processors, NT). Originally it was impossible to upgrade from one stream to the other, not just because they wouldn't run on the other chipset, but also because the two were something like (I don't know) 18 months out of phase.

At some point (no doubt someone will tell us which version) both streams could run on either chipset. But. It was still wise to skip a release to avoid the change of chipset on which they'd originally been written.

But again. MS chose not to release a version 9 (in the same way WebSphere MQ for z/OS jumped from 2.1 to 5.2 ten days before release to align with distributed versions of MQ. Luckily for us, a week earlier we'd finished automating Copyright. Change a value, re-copyright it, job's a good un). So Win10 is a derivative of 7. Changing from 8 to 10 has always been a fustercluck.

Tyk

LE
@AlienFTM Just to confirm NT3.51 (the first release of NT) would run happily on an x86 platform, either that or the many thousands of servers and workstations I built back then were very odd.
Earlier NT versions weren't able to be applied as an upgrade to the Win95/98 etc platforms prior to XP which was in essence NT4 back end and tweaks with a 98 style UI.
More like 2 and a bit decades back, just to depress you.

Throughout the history of Windows (I'm going from memory from a decade or more back, so don't quote me) there have been two code streams, originally one for x86 and one for New Technology (RISC processors, NT). Originally it was impossible to upgrade from one stream to the other, not just because they wouldn't run on the other chipset, but also because the two were something like (I don't know) 18 months out of phase.

At some point (no doubt someone will tell us which version) both streams could run on either chipset. But. It was still wise to skip a release to avoid the change of chipset on which they'd originally been written.

But again. MS chose not to release a version 9 (in the same way WebSphere MQ for z/OS jumped from 2.1 to 5.2 ten days before release to align with distributed versions of MQ. Luckily for us, a week earlier we'd finished automating Copyright. Change a value, re-copyright it, job's a good un). So Win10 is a derivative of 7. Changing from 8 to 10 has always been a fustercluck.

Thank you for the explanation Alien, I'll get my 6 year old granddaughter to break it down for me in simple terms (really simple terms) when she is here for Halloween. Other than that mate as I said I've never had any problems.

endure

GCM
All the non NT versions of Windows up to ME were 16/32 bit hybrids running on top of DOS underpinnings.

Windows NT was 32 bits from the beginning and its chief architect was Dave Cutler of DEC VMS fame.

The two streams were finally merged into a proper 32 bit operating system in Windows 2000 which was a rock solid bit of software.

After that came XP etc.

E2A Windows NT up until version 4 was able to run on Intel, Alpha, MIPS and PowerPC platforms. It did this by using a hardware abstraction layer.

I knew my MCSE on NT4 would come in handy one day... ;-)

Last edited:
@supermatelot

Don't switch your machine off.

Put it to sleep instead.

It will wake up with all the previous apps in place where you left them.

It will wake up a lot quicker than it will boot up.

Last edited:

Latest Threads