Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PC boot-up problem

WIN-10

PC is taking around 10 minutes to boot up. Appears to hang on the gigabytes motherboard screen for around 10 minutes-then windows eventually starts.
Only have wireless keyboard so unable to F6 into boot options etc at that point as keyboard not detected at that point.

Have tried system restore but it fails saying something along lines of 'unable to extract Onedrive file...'

ANy suggestions what the problem could be ?

Have not installed any new hardware recently.

Hmmm, it sounds like the fücking thing is fücking fücked. Have you tried unfücking it?

hope this helps.

kalliste

Clanker
A faulty component, most likely the storage device. If you have backed up everything you can download and (re)install Windows. If that works OK then you'll probaby be alright, if not start replacing bits. Before you do any of that open it up and check nothing is loose and clean the dust out.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Go to Amazon (tablet, phone). Order £10 or whatever USB keyboard. Connect. Press F6.

I am not a Windows engineer.

WIN-10

PC is taking around 10 minutes to boot up. Appears to hang on the gigabytes motherboard screen for around 10 minutes-then windows eventually starts.
Only have wireless keyboard so unable to F6 into boot options etc at that point as keyboard not detected at that point.

Have tried system restore but it fails saying something along lines of 'unable to extract Onedrive file...'

Prepare:

WIN-10

You ran through all of this stuff?

Might want to try a chkdsk from the command prompt - #chkdsk c: /f /r

When it tells you disk is in use and asks if you want to do next reboot say yes.

My laptop which is about 4 years old installed a massive W10 update and now refuses to do anything. I’m cutting my losses and looking at Amazon refurbished Macbooks

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
if it's hanging at the gigabytes screen, checked you don't need any updates for the motherboard?

Turn if off and on aga............. oh.
Remove the power cable and the battery.
Then press the power button five or six times.
Replace all and turn back on.
May work, does for me with my old Win 7 train wreck.

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
Warnings in the press this week about the latest W10 update being generally c@@p, including evidence that it carried some malware with it. We have done full s+ans on all three of out PC/laptops. Funnily enough, 2 of 3 did have 2 malware issues.

anglo

LE
WIN-10

Are the batteries low in the wireless keyboard

WIN-10

Have not installed any new hardware recently

Could be a lot of crap in the start up process - could be youre short on memmory

Could also be the hard drive is on the way out - does it get stuck / hang whilst in use?

In task manager - see whats starts when booting up the boot up and disk usage

kalliste

Clanker
I've got an ancient HP Core 2 Duo from about 2008 that has a bluetooth keyboard and I can get into the BIOS with the wireless keyboard. Anyway, you can probably get a keyboard for a pound from Poundsavers or a Charity Shop.
According to the intarW3bz you get into the BIOS by hitting the <DEL> key on startup for Gigabyte. The boot menu key may or may not be enabled you need to look in the BIOS.

Not sure if you have completed System Restore yet, but I'd do that first.
If it works......then this:
Pays to clear out piles of accumulated crap ( which can be as much as a couple or 3 hundreds of megabytes ( or a lot more) daily using free stuff eg Advanced System Care and/ or CrapCleaner, plus the Advanced SystemCare Defragger, all of which I do on a 3 day basis. It's astonishing what an HD harbours if you do not.....gigs of history, old files, duplicates, you name it. It just gets tired & burdened with skiploads of rubbish. Advanced System also gets you to update Driver software.
Consequently ( smug button on) my Windows 10 install is now around 5 years old, and boots up as new...around 1 minute 30 odd seconds. It always has. And this is with a weak specced ten years old Desktop PC
Similar service mindset to not loading up my car boot with heavy shyte and expecting it to work as designed.....each their own. I've done this for nigh on 20 years with all the Windows releases and never had a serious issue bar the old & infamous Blue Screens of Death!
Either that or back up all your stuff you need like photos & apps eg Office, and get the HD formatted re-installed......with all the updates. In my view, you need a minimum of 8mb memory with 10.

Last edited:
Hmmmm...

*sucks teeth*

It's going to require a very large hammer.

Slight thread drift...but might be useful for OP to know anyhow.
Anyone any experience with Windows 11 which was supposedly released in August?
I've not had any nudges from Microsoft.
One wonders if " If it aint broke...ferkin' leave it"
Must avoid Dingerr's YoorWellFuckityFukked list.:(

Last edited:

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Not sure if you have completed System Restore yet, but I'd do that first.
If it works......then this:
Pays to clear out piles of accumulated crap ( which can be as much as a couple or 3 hundreds of megabytes ( or a lot more) daily using free stuff eg Advanced System Care and/ or CrapCleaner, plus the Advanced SystemCare Defragger, all of which I do on a 3 day basis. It's astonishing what an HD harbours if you do not.....gigs of history, old files, duplicates, you name it. It just gets tired & burdened with skiploads of rubbish. Advanced System also gets you to update Driver software.
Consequently ( smug button on) my Windows 10 install is now around 5 years old, and boots up as new...around 1 minute 30 odd seconds. It always has. And this is with a weak specced ten years old Desktop PC
Similar service mindset to not loading up my car boot with heavy shyte and expecting it to work as designed.....each their own. I've done this for nigh on 20 years with all the Windows releases and never had a serious issue bar the old & infamous Blue Screens of Death!
Either that or back up all your stuff you need like photos & apps eg Office, and get the HD formatted re-installed......with all the updates. In my view, you need a minimum of 8mb memory with 10.

3 days?? once a week at most. if that.

one thing I have noticed is that Spotify fills up your hard drive with crap if you'll let it, and you have no way of getting it to save it's temp files to anywhere other than your c drive it seems. however, the latest version of CrapCleaner gets rid of them for you. it was driving me bonkers wondering why my c drive spare room was down into single figures...

Latest Threads