Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

PC Andrew Harper.

Agreed, but I don't think you've been following my point. I'm saying that the sentence should have been harsher - similar to a murder sentence - not that they should have been found guilty of murder.
The judge did what he could, but he is constrained by the rule of law.

He is effectively forced to use the Nuremberg defence.

I'm unclear about these 'guidelines' - are they rules that can't be broken, or are they just recomendations which can be adjusted according to the circumstances?

He is effectively forced to use the Nuremberg defence.
Sorry to quote myself, but that does form an interesting conundrum if it could be shown that the majority of the populace were in favour of more severe sentences.

If laws are a set of rules agreed by members of society so that they may live together, then those laws imposed on them by politicians and with which the majority do not agree are by definition wrong, and as such blindly following them because, "befehl ist befehl" is therefore illegal.
Just a thought.

Public Order Act 1936 :

Fair enough. I wonder if that legislation was what Ex Colonial was talking about.

I guess this is where the policing by consent idea comes in.

The 1936 POA was a response to Mosley's crew.

And a more wishy washy offence is hard to find. it's about the wearing of uniform in support of a political organisation and the Chief Officer of Police (presumably the Chief Constable) together with the Secretary of State, can provide a defence. by allowing it, if it wont provoke public disorder.

I'm unclear about these 'guidelines' - are they rules that can't be broken, or are they just recomendations which can be adjusted according to the circumstances?
The 'guidline' sentencing is variable from a set stating point up to a maximum and down to a minimum. The whole idea is to ensure a consistency of sentencing for any given offence regardless of in which court and before whom the case is tried.

The point is that they do adjust according to the circumstances, with what is as far as possible an exhaustive list.

You may remember from the Alexander Blackman case though that judges must still use discretion, as for example carrying a weapon would lead to a much stiffer sentence under the guidelines.

"125 Sentencing guidelines: duty of court
(1)Every court—
(a)must, in sentencing an offender, follow any sentencing guidelines which are relevant to the offender's case, and
(b)must, in exercising any other function relating to the sentencing of offenders, follow any sentencing guidelines which are relevant to the exercise of the function,unless the court is satisfied that it would be contrary to the interests of justice to do so."

The guidelines themselves to provide a lot of adjustments for the circumstances

With a single victim, a begrudging maybe but with his list of victims, you‘d like to think he will always be considered to a danger to the public by the parole board and thus be kept in prison until his dick falls off.

We can but hope.

Normally I’d like vermin like him to swing. But we don’t do that anymore here and also we need to keep our prison officers in a job.
So I’ll settle with his sentence. He’s got best part of 30 years. His family will probably all
be mostly dead by then and atleast he can’t pro create whilst he’s inside.
Just to add prisoners cannot currently have visits due to Covid and we’re having a heat wave here here.Let’s hope the air con isn’t working either. I also believe prisoners are on 23 hour lock up too.
Let this scum bag enjoy his sentence.

Normally I’d like vermin like him to swing. But we don’t do that anymore here and also we need to keep our prison officers in a job.
So I’ll settle with his sentence. He’s got best part of 30 years. His family will probably all
be mostly dead by then and atleast he can’t pro create whilst he’s inside.
Just to add prisoners cannot currently have visits due to Covid and we’re having a heat wave here here.Let’s hope the air con isn’t working either. I also believe prisoners are on 23 hour lock up too.
Let this scum bag enjoy his sentence.
Visits are happening in some jails at Governing Governors discretion providing that safety measures can be maintained. But obviously with greatly reduced numbers.
Skype visits are being rolled out across the estate. They've also got the "emailaprisoner" system.
And twenty three hour lock up could go on until early next year.

What fun.

Visits are happening in some jails at Governing Governors discretion providing that safety measures can be maintained. But obviously with greatly reduced numbers.
Skype visits are being rolled out across the estate. They've also got the "emailaprisoner" system.

What fun.

The "emailaprisoner" system is not a raving success unfortunately but, one can still write letters (which is a good idea because a letter can be written like a diary) for those with close relatives.

What fun.

Good God 23 hours a day? It's almost like we're curtailing their freedom of movement as a punishment!