PC Andrew Harper.

That’s essentially what manslaughter is.
The argument by the guilty is "I didn't mean for the person to die, it wasn't my intention" or "I didn't know the PC was roped on the back of my vehicle".
My argument for the new offence would be "Had you not set out to commit the crime nobody would have died therefore you are guilty and go down for life irrespective of you age"

The argument by the guilty is "I didn't mean for the person to die, it wasn't my intention" or "I didn't know the PC was roped on the back of my vehicle".
My argument for the new offence would be "Had you not set out to commit the crime nobody would have died therefore you are guilty and go down for life irrespective of you age"
That would apply to a driver who hits a person who stepped out in front of the vehicle?

Law isn’t black and white.

elovabloke

ADC
This thread is very close to being pulled. I’m not going to spend my time deleting posts that are clearly against the site rules. Keep the racist remarks to your bedroom wall or don’t post.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I expect many people will have made the same point I’m about to make. I was disappointed that these people were not convicted of murder. So bit it. Having been convicted of manslaughter I would have liked to have seen all them given life sentences, which are available for manslaughter with very hefty tariffs.

6 and 6 years in spent in prison is basically letting them off given the crime they committed and its consequences - not to mention their continued behaviour.

There is also the wider problem. These young men come from a community with a culture where violence amd crime are celebrated. How does society address that? How does society deal with other communities where violence and criminality are endemic?

There are issues of poverty and prejudice which many challenging communities complain of.

There have been attempts to reach out and help but it seems that the communities resist these efforts and revel in their as criminality.

I expect many people will have made the same point I’m about to make. I was disappointed that these people were not convicted of murder. So bit it. Having been convicted of manslaughter I would have liked to have seen all them given life sentences, which are available for manslaughter with very hefty tariffs.

6 and 6 years in spent in prison is basically letting them off given the crime they committed and its consequences - not to mention their continued behaviour.

There is also the wider problem. These young men come from a community with a culture where violence amd crime are celebrated. How does society address that? How does society deal with other communities where violence and criminality are endemic?

There are issues of poverty and prejudice which many challenging communities complain of.

There have been attempts to reach out and help but it seems that the communities resist these efforts and revel in their as criminality.
Read the sentencing as it will help your anger, there sentencing was discounted due to there age.

The offence already exists - 'Unlawful Act Manslaughter’.

Crown Prosecution Service refers (quite a way down the document)
The CPS said:
Unlawful Act Manslaughter
The offence is made out if it is proved that the accused intentionally did an unlawful and dangerous act from which death inadvertently resulted

6 and 6 years in spent in prison is basically letting them off given the crime they committed
What is this 6+6 years spent in prison to which you refer?
  • Henry Long will be eligible for parole after serving 10 years and 8 months and entitled to release at the 16 year point. The time on licence following will be the balance of the sentence (16 years less time served) plus three years.

• Jessie Cole and Albert Bowers will both be eligible for parole after serving 8 years and 8 months and entitled to release at the 13year point. The time on licence following release will be the balance of the sentence (13 years less time served)

Sentencing remarks of The Honourable Mr Justice Edis

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Woke? Me not likely, why didn’t you quote my call Sign?

What history am I trying to rewrite? All I’ve said and will continue saying is that capital punishment doesn’t work as a deterrent, it also costs more in total than 20+ years in jail. If it works as you claim, why are people still killing each other in countries that have it? Forgetting the issue that it becomes a political football.

Then we have @Gout Man wanting to go back to the Tudor times, burnt at the stake, hung drawn and quartered! Yet when I suggested he could move and live in a failed stat such as Syria, which isis More than likely are using those forms of executions he remains silent. No doubt you’d be happy pushing homosexuals of the roof of multi storey building?
And I wasn’t been serious, as the next paragraph started...”But Seriously”.
You really should learn to differentiate between the serious and the shall we say not so serious.
A bit like your cancer thread, saying you have cancer is serious, what you should have said is I have an ingrown toe nail, not so serious and we still would have asked what size boots.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Are you serious? if so you could move your family to Saudi Arabia, or Syria and join ISIS.
You daft sod, read above. You’re like the BBC edit to suite!

And I wasn’t been serious, as the next paragraph started...”But Seriously”.
You really should learn to differentiate between the serious and the shall we say not so serious.
A bit like your cancer thread, saying you have cancer is serious, what you should have said is I have an ingrown toe nail, not so serious and we still would have asked what size boots.
Difference is this is CA, cancer thread was in the Naafi.

Latest Threads