PC Andrew Harper.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Everyone waxes lyrical about ‘the good old days of Dixon of Dock Green’... well, Sgt Dixon got shot, because as you note, it was the norm - until the mid 60’s - to draw a revolver from the desk Sgt if going out on night patrol, and Sgt Dixon didn’t and tried to confront an armed Crim.

Historically, unarmed plod are a new anomaly on the mainland. Until the changes in the 60’s, it wasnt at all out of the ordinary for beat coppers to get their own revolver on ticket for their job use. Look at newsreels of say the manhunt for Harry Roberts, every Officer and his dog is carrying a revolver or No4 Rifle pulled out of their station gun cupboard.
I recall back in the 70s and early 80s, working in London nicks and seeing rifles in a secure room and handguns
plenty of that generation knew how to handle a weapon, may have posted here before, but my fathers mate was a beat cop, also ex services, a more laid back and funny bloke you could not wish to meet, he was born to be a copper, but landing in Normandy from 500 feet gave him a a confidence, and the ability to judge a situation and make a lighting assessment
I cannot recall any of our local youths ever being anything but polite to him
proper old school beat cop

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
In 'the good old days' the constables on the beat got support from their senior officers.
not unusual to see inspectors around at night making sure their lads and lasses were OK
I used to work odd hours, so they knew where to get a cuppa and a good viewpoint on the local housing estates

The killer of PC Dave Phillips of Merseyside Police got 20 years, tried to appeal and was laughed out of Court.

"We thank Counsel for the appellant in laying this appeal before us, and thus affording the opportunity to review the original tariff. We find that the original tariff of 20 years was unduly lenient. Tariff is now set at 35 years. Further leave to appeal is denied. Take him back down."

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I notice on facebook they are getting all upset about a social worker who was stabbed in Birmingham while going in alone to a HMO full of edgy immigrants with attitude and moaning about her life being worth as much as his !!!!
I do not hold social workers in high regard,
As for theHMO visit a stern demeanour and suitable clothing perhaps ?
1566582450047.png

"We thank Counsel for the appellant in laying this appeal before us, and thus affording the opportunity to review the original tariff. We find that the original tariff of 20 years was unduly lenient. Tariff is now set at 35 years. Further leave to appeal is denied. Take him back down."
"The sentence of this court is that you will be taken from here to the place from whence you came and there be kept in close confinement until [date of execution], and upon that day that you be taken to the place of execution and there hanged by the neck until you are dead.
May God have no mercy on your soul."

I recall back in the 70s and early 80s, working in London nicks and seeing rifles in a secure room and handguns
plenty of that generation knew how to handle a weapon, may have posted here before, but my fathers mate was a beat cop, also ex services, a more laid back and funny bloke you could not wish to meet, he was born to be a copper, but landing in Normandy from 500 feet gave him a a confidence, and the ability to judge a situation and make a lighting assessment
I cannot recall any of our local youths ever being anything but polite to him
proper old school beat cop
No pick helves?
I seem to recall something about pick helves.

We had white heavy wooden baseball bats with leather wrist straps in the 70-80's. For issue to the unarmed officers for self-defence when your colleagues were armed and trained. The bats lived under the front seats of the pig, and were drawn on the Sergeant's authority. Sometimes slipped out in pub brawls, though, but only if the odds were against you. The training incorporated the concept of 16 stone of angry muscle concentrated onto the 2" dia tip, a bit like a spear. Never saw anyone do caveman clubbing with one.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
"The sentence of this court is that you will be taken from here to the place from whence you came and there be kept in close confinement until [date of execution], and upon that day that you be taken to the place of execution and there hanged by the neck until you are dead.
May God have no mercy on your soul."
Perhaps Albert has a grandson who could take on the family business

1566590003468.png

doc80905

War Hero
The HRA specifically allows forced labour as part of a prison sentence. The problem is the logistics of getting it to work. Booking them in & out of prison. transport to the work site, security at the work site etc.
As said up thread, imposing a harsh regime is, perversely, more expensive than just locking them up for 20 hours a day with a TV & playstation.
The Russians manage to do it very well. Zero, no association with other prisoners. Exercise periods are staggered, strict no talking rules and minimal family visits. With no association the possibility of kicking off, or rioting simply does not exist. The staffing levels are fairly low, plus a few very big dogs are a reminder to the prisoners to stay in line. Plenty tech involved (prisoners are made to stand in their cells from 6am to 10pm watched on cctv) Not expensive at all if there's the will for it.

Sent from my H4311 using Tapatalk

Have you got evidence that going soft on prisoners and giving access to luxuries like Playstations in prison reduces reoffending rates?
I didn't say it did, I said it was cheaper.
The scandi coutries that have soft regimes have lower reoffending rates.
AIUI criminals arent currently deterred by the thought of prison, not because it's easy to do time, but because their either not doing a rational cost/ benefit analysis (stupid/mad/drugged etc) or they don't think there are actually going to get caught (ISTR it's about a 6% chance of a burglary offence leading to a prosecution. With a limited por of money I'd rather than last problem was addressed rather than vote catching, but inefficient,imposition of a harsh regeime.

Latest Threads