PC Andrew Harper.

One charged with his murder.
I sincerely hope that IF convicted the judge involved throws the book at him and jails him for the rest of his life.
Nice one putting it in CA - hopefully avoiding the XRW fantasies which resulted in the other thread being removed.
Fingers crossed that justice will be done.

Nice one putting it in CA - hopefully avoiding the XRW fantasies which resulted in the other thread being removed.
Fingers crossed that justice will be done.
Yes. I know that CA is heavily moderated and no crayonning is tolerated. Hence posting it in here.

Starting tariff for murder of on-duty police officer is pretty high.

PC Henry's killer (stabbed to death in Luton) got life with minimum of 25 years.

Sackerson

Old-Salt

One charged with his murder.
I sincerely hope that IF convicted the judge involved throws the book at him and jails him for the rest of his life.
Only one charged? PC Harper was reportedly investigating a burglary. Common enterprise: "a common-law legal doctrine that imputes criminal liability to the participants in a criminal enterprise for all that results from that enterprise," says Wiki. Should more people be charged?

I'm surprised joint enterprise law hasn't been used. If convicted the accused will spend the rest of his life in prison as there's a whole life tariff for the murder of a policeman/woman.

Perhaps the accused was the only one in the vehicle....

Only one charged? PC Harper was reportedly investigating a burglary. Common enterprise: "a common-law legal doctrine that imputes criminal liability to the participants in a criminal enterprise for all that results from that enterprise," says Wiki. Should more people be charged?
From the reporting, a signifiant number of those arrested are under the age of criminal responsibility.

Sackerson

Old-Salt
I'm surprised joint enterprise law hasn't been used. If convicted the accused will spend the rest of his life in prison as there's a whole life tariff for the murder of a policeman/woman.

Possibly, but couldn't it be argued that the death was a consequence flowing from the alleged burglary that led to PC Harper's callout?

Yokel

LE
RIP PC Harper.

It was horrible seeing the murder of a young Police Officer being used as a platform for those with very far right leanings, and lots of others jumping on the bandwagon. I am sure he would not want that.

However, there are legitimate issues:

1. What more can be done to protect the Police and other emergency services?

2. What can be done to stop certain sections in society from having such a callous disregard for other people's rights, property, and lives?

I'm sure that TVP are ensuring that, as my old relief Sergeant used to say, the interviews result in a 'Harvest Charge': all are safely gathered in.

Do the Police have an equivalent to the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme?

RIP PC Harper.

It was horrible seeing the murder of a young Police Officer being used as a platform for those with very far right leanings, and lots of others jumping on the bandwagon. I am sure he would not want that.

2. What can be done to stop certain sections in society from having such a callous disregard for other people's rights, property, and lives?
Agree. And we should all be aware that commenting on an ongoing case risks prejudice.

Sackerson

Old-Salt
RIP PC Harper.

1. I think the need to protect our emergency services will be reflected in severer sentencing - but prompt prosecution of all assaults and fewer slaps on the wrist?

2. Fewer suspended sentences, perhaps - don't many first-time jailbirds have a large number of offences on their record? Peter Hitchens argues that prisons (horrible places) have no realistic prospect of reforming offenders, but at least a firm and prompt approach could have a deterrent effect on others. Grasp the nettle firmly?

I see Nottinghamshire are going to issue all Officers a taser who wish to carry one, however I can't see how that would of helped in this case. Surely the others involved could be charged with culpable homicide as they were there and could have prevented it.

Perhaps stating the obvious, but with speculation I'd guess the chap charged was actually driving the vehicle PC Harper became trapped under. It'll be hugely irritating to see others in the gang released without charge but we all know the CPS have Public Interest politics & legalities breathing down their necks. On my soap-box mindset, I think they are all culpable at one level or another for being part of the driver's "group".
It's all very sickening, but I'd not be surprised if most of them will go Scot free through a lack of proof of direct involvement in his death..asides from other charges connected with why they were mob-handed there in the first place.

The reason they were mobhanded was to strip the place of as much as possible in the shortest space of time. Once the stuff had entered the Travellers site it would have been safe as the Police seem to treat these places as some sort of enclave where they allow anything to happen.

How many no go areas do you know of near you? Who lives there and what crimes do they commit? I know of a number in NW Cambs that the police (some of whom are friends of mine) won't tackle. In my opinion these must be dealt with severely with enough force to show that these are not refuges that there inhabitants can run to. Any views or suggestions?

How many no go areas do you know of near you? Who lives there and what crimes do they commit? I know of a number in NW Cambs that the police (some of whom are friends of mine) won't tackle. In my opinion these must be dealt with severely with enough force to show that these are not refuges that there inhabitants can run to. Any views or suggestions?
There were some notable camps in the Falkirk area especially " Up the Braes" years back. Unfortunately many scores have been "awarded" Local Authority houses over a couple of decades. I cannot recall anything in the papers about the nuisance or crime situation though.
They are pretty much ghettos now. It would not be a brilliant idea to visit some of them in darkness.....
Recently in my post-code, the cliche crims were taking cash of old folks for garden work not done ...the usual stuff but the local plod stood on it pronto to be fair, and it's been dealt with but no arrests to my knowledge.

Latest Threads