PBS America

Just found the above channel on ( freeview chan 91 ) currently showing a doc about the Charge of the Light Brigade. @ 19:45 is Regimental Stories, A couple of programmes about British Regiments, The Royal Welsh & the Paras.

Just found the above channel on ( freeview chan 91 ) currently showing a doc about the Charge of the Light Brigade. @ 19:45 is Regimental Stories, A couple of programmes about British Regiments, The Royal Welsh & the Paras.
A great channel for recycled documentaries, whether UK or North American made. They tend to show the whole series back-to-back and repeat every few days to a week or two. PBS has saved me from reality TV.

A great channel for recycled documentaries, whether UK or North American made. They tend to show the whole series back-to-back and repeat every few days to a week or two. PBS has saved me from reality TV.
I didn't know about it, glad to have stumbled upon it. Think its going onto the default channel

PBS is great - the reason why I am happy some of my tax dollars go there. People want to kill it but because of some funding from private donors haven't been able to.

It's a little bit like the BBC in the UK and ABC in OZ...

Awol

LE
Anyone know if PBS is available online anywhere? I tried a while ago and got hit with "not available in your area".

Even a VPN couldn't crack it. (Although admittedly, that could have been down to me).

This is their main web site:
Public Broadcasting System

You may need to set up a VPN account if you are not in the US.

Mostly quality stuff but there are one or two programs that lean on the bleeding heart side.

PBS Splash Screen.JPG

Smithsonian is good as well.
I only have the option of HD with Smithsonian, which means a 'no go' using a Skybox to get Freesat.

Last edited:
FWIW, Rick Steves is a travel writer who has a regular show on PBS TV. He had a tweet recently that appeared on these august pages of ARRSE that some astute ARRSERATTI were cracking on as he zoomed past his exit for the Lake District because he was "Hollywooding" (whatever that means) his camera. I shouldn't think driving a car while filming is a good idea anyway. Who is that ARRSER who is a highway patrol man? :? Put him on the job.

Anyone know if PBS is available online anywhere? I tried a while ago and got hit with "not available in your area".

Even a VPN couldn't crack it. (Although admittedly, that could have been down to me).
Regularly shows up in my YT feed in the UK - may not be super upto date, but it's there..

The best radio in the USA, IMO.
NPR is the radio - or National Public Radio and it is good. Un biased although has left wing shows but even those try and balance it out. Their news coverage and biz reports are very good, you get a distilled version without any of the dribble.
PBS is the tv - or broadcasting. Free to the public with no ads only endowments/funding etc. Although now they do subscription based watching on the apple and smart TVs which goes against their ethos in my opinion.

Best shows - NOVA, American Experience, Frontline (very good!) and Nature. (IMHO!) It's where Ken Burns really got his start.

PBS is great - the reason why I am happy some of my tax dollars go there. People want to kill it but because of some funding from private donors haven't been able to.

It's a little bit like the BBC in the UK and ABC in OZ...
"Went there," not "go there." Speaking of, is PBS to blame for your meandering ways?

FWIW, Rick Steves is a travel writer who has a regular show on PBS TV. He had a tweet recently that appeared on these august pages of ARRSE that some astute ARRSERATTI were cracking on as he zoomed past his exit for the Lake District because he was "Hollywooding" (whatever that means) his camera. I shouldn't think driving a car while filming is a good idea anyway. Who is that ARRSER who is a highway patrol man? :? Put him on the job.
He lives up here near Seattle, in Edmonds. And being born in California he drives like most of the daft cnuts on the left coast...

poorly.

I never switch on the TV when I' m visiting the States.

Thank God for the laptop.

Mike Barton

War Hero
Just finished the PBS series on the Vietnam war by Ken Burns on Netflix. Thoroughly enjoyable, not least for the honking tunes of the era (admittedly a bit of a cliche when it comes to Vietnam documentaries).

It tried scrupulously to be fair but the bias was still apparent, whereby Kennedy and Johnson, who got the US into the war with all their misinformation and chicanery, are treated as decent human beings just trying to their best, whereas Nixon, the guy who actually got the US out and brought the boys home is depicted as intrinsically malevolent and a war monger.

That mild quibble aside it was a great show.

Latest Threads