PBI - Wavell Quote

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by bokkatankie, Aug 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Read this, thought it may stimulate an interesting debate not sure when he said it (perhaps someone does)

Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm....The infantryman has to use initiative and intelligence in almost every step he moves, every action he takes on the battle-field. We ought therefore to put our men of greatest intelligence and endurance into the Infantry
    Field-Marshal Earl Wavell

Personally, I think it should be above the entrance to every other Corps and Arm training centre!

• Like Like x 1
  2. In Praise of Infantry, a letter to (or article in) The Times, 19 Apr 45. He may also have said something similar in Soldiers and Soldiering, though I can't check that at present.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I think it should be carved into every cabinet ministers desk!

4. Has that not always been the case? Going back 2000 ish years the Romans, Greeks and Persians had their infantry and artillery, and later the cavalry. The infantry has always been the first and the last.

5. I'm sure that the Secretary of State for Environment and Rural Affairs will benefit from that.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ahem

Operation PENINSULA - ARRSEpedia

7. Oh well not much debate generated by that one will have to find something better!

8. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Endurance yes, but there are many types of intelligence. Should we really have emptied Bletchley Park and turned them all into Paras?

The intellectual qualities of infantry are common sense, initiative, imagination and the ability to act quickly and decisively on incomplete information. Resolving the propositions of Euclid or taking Pi to the next level, not so much.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

I think I would much prefer my brightest to be maintaining my helicopters and being engineers.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

turing would have done fine in 3 para mortars by all accounts

• Like Like x 4
  11. udipur

udipur LE Book Reviewer

It always struck me as a bit of a dichotomy that some of the brightest orifices joined the inf mobs but, boy, did they recruit some fodder.