Payrise?

#1
Has anyone heard what the armed forces payrise will be for 2008/09?

I've scoured the net but can't seem to find anything.

I'm asking as by the time I get in it will be next year and I'm just interested at what the pay will be. Also the regiment I'm planning on joining is based in Germany and I've heard you get extra pay for that but how much would that be?

Thanks guys.

edit to add:

Also on the current payscale the rank of Private has a load of different grades with slightly higher pay each time. Do you go up a grade after a certain amount of time? or how does that work?
 
#2
Your pay will go up an increment once a year. It's on the anniversary of your promotion for NCOs, not sure how it's worked out for privates - I assume it's anniversary of joining.

You will get extra pay for Germany, but I've not been so I don't know how much.

This year's payrise will probably be somewhere around inflation again, no chance of any big rises.
 
#3
"Has anyone heard what the armed forces payrise will be for 2008/09?"

Now call me cynical, but once the front bottoms in the Treasury get it sorted it will be decided that you will 2.6% and then they will then hold it back until January next year and it will only be worth 1.6%.
 
#5
Payrise 2%
Increase in Accn charges 1.5%
Reduction in LOA 2%
Freezing of Subsistence Allowances .5%
Increase in PAYD Charges 2%

Net Effect minus 0.5%
 
#6
Outstanding said:
Payrise 2%
Increase in Accn charges 1.5%
Reduction in LOA 2%
Freezing of Subsistence Allowances .5%
Increase in PAYD Charges 2%

Net Effect minus 0.5%
Cynical b****, Outstanding. This is a promising new recruit - tell him about the humungous annual pay increases and the opportunities to play sports and participate in adventurous activities, and live in good quality accommodation and eat sumptuous meals and... and.... and....

Litotes :D
 
#7
Litotes said:
Outstanding said:
Payrise 2%
Increase in Accn charges 1.5%
Reduction in LOA 2%
Freezing of Subsistence Allowances .5%
Increase in PAYD Charges 2%

Net Effect minus 0.5%
Cynical b****, Outstanding. This is a promising new recruit - tell him about the humungous annual pay increases and the opportunities to play sports and participate in adventurous activities, and live in good quality accommodation and eat sumptuous meals and... and.... and....

Litotes :D
Yes, dont let the truth get in the way of recruiting......
 
#8
The Armed Forces Pay Review Board recommended quite a large increase in the 'X' factor which was wholly endorsed by Brown when he was chancellor. They also recommended a 3% increase in pay across all ranks, which wasn't. Ultimately, the net effect is a pay-freeze when you take in to account inflation, rise in PAYD and rise in accommodation.

God Bless Gordon Brown!!
 
#9
I can't see HMG being especially generous with the next pay award. The lowest paid (e.g. Infantry Pte's) may get something similar to last year, but I can't see a big rise for all of us. Considering that Broon is willing to seriously antagonise the Police, who if they chose to could create considerable problems for him, he won't think twice about using the excuse of containing 'public sector wage inflation' on the Armed Forces.

Yes, we will still get our annual increments on our seniority dates and there will be some tinkering with LOA, 'X' Factor, food/accomodation charges etc, but a a big rise across the board? NO.

Call me a cynic, but I'd be surprised if it's any other way in 08/09.
 
#10
Hopefully we will get the extra that the police didn't - but i'm not holding my breath
 
#11
Invicta said:
I can't see HMG being especially generous with the next pay award. The lowest paid (e.g. Infantry Pte's) may get something similar to last year, but I can't see a big rise for all of us. Considering that Broon is willing to seriously antagonise the Police, who if they chose to could create considerable problems for him, he won't think twice about using the excuse of containing 'public sector wage inflation' on the Armed Forces.

Yes, we will still get our annual increments on our seniority dates and there will be some tinkering with LOA, 'X' Factor, food/accomodation charges etc, but a a big rise across the board? NO.

Call me a cynic, but I'd be surprised if it's any other way in 08/09.
I tend to agree with you but I have heard that the distortion to the pay scales that Mr Brown introduced last year is exacerbating the retention crisis by reducing the increase a soldier should receive on promotion - if you follow me...

I don't know what the AFPRB will recommend but I think the Chancellor will insist on 2% which is an effective pay cut with the RPI at 4.2%.

The Treasury might argue that with the economy crashing into the buffers, recruiting will drastically improve!!! All of those young kids in Northern Rock have to go somewhere!

Litotes
 
#16
drain_sniffer said:
As the MPs are going to vote themselves about 6%, what chance of us getting the same?

What you'll find is that the MPs basic pay of around £65000 will go up by 2.5% to look good in the papers, but the extras such as the travel allowance, secretarial allowance, stationary allowance and all the other allowances will go up.
 
#17
See, this is just when you need another Maggie: when she got in, way back in black and white days (aka SLRs, 58 pat, DPMs, DMS, dahdeedah), she wanged our pay up by something in the region of 30% (remembering, of course, that 30% of fcuk all remains fcuk all), I seem to recall - bloody typical, just as I'd made my mind up to discard the green as well. Mind you, she also banged PVR rates up quite considerably too. And F&A etc etc...

In the time-honoured traditional of our dear politicos, what they give with the one hand, they more than take back with the other.

In retrospect, there was no point to this post at all: the fukkaz are just out - and always have been - to rely on the integrity and loyalty of those in HMF to get away with screwing them all over, be they of the red, blue or sickly orange persuasion and all other variations thereto. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.


Wherever you are serving, be safe and have a peaceful one.
 
#18
DillonFlatBack said:
See, this is just when you need another Maggie: when she got in, way back in black and white days (aka SLRs, 58 pat, DPMs, DMS, dahdeedah), she wanged our pay up by something in the region of 30% (remembering, of course, that 30% of fcuk all remains fcuk all), I seem to recall - bloody typical, just as I'd made my mind up to discard the green as well. Mind you, she also banged PVR rates up quite considerably too. And F&A etc etc...

In the time-honoured traditional of our dear politicos, what they give with the one hand, they more than take back with the other.

In retrospect, there was no point to this post at all: the fukkaz are just out - and always have been - to rely on the integrity and loyalty of those in HMF to get away with screwing them all over, be they of the red, blue or sickly orange persuasion and all other variations thereto. Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.


Wherever you are serving, be safe and have a peaceful one.
IIRC, the biggest pay rise under Maggie was 12% and this was in 1990/91 after GW1. The Conservatives came to power in 1979 (the year I enlisted)and their first pay rise resulted in a net loss for most of us due to the increase in food and accomodaton charges - it certainly wasn't 30%. Again, if I recall correctly, the largest pay rise for the armed forces was in the 70's (77 or 78) when soldier' pay was brought into line with civvy street. One of the big advertising campaigns was '£50 per week - minimum'. This was under the Labour Government.
 
#19
Back in those black and white days, Air Traffic Control officers at RAF West Drayton were working shifts at the Mars factory in Slough to make ends meet so God knows what it was like for the lads - maybe none of them were allowed to be married!

I agree that the self-serving politicians will vote themselves a hefty increase, but even if it is disguised as 'allowances' (to pay your wife to be your 'secretary') or 'stationery' (to buy yourself a laptop and any other piece of kit you fancy), the papers will be all over it. Hopefully that will be final nail in the 'New' Labour coffin.
 
#20
Bonzo_Dog said:
IIRC, the biggest pay rise under Maggie was 12% and this was in 1990/91 after GW1. The Conservatives came to power in 1979 (the year I enlisted)and their first pay rise resulted in a net loss for most of us due to the increase in food and accomodaton charges - it certainly wasn't 30%. Again, if I recall correctly, the largest pay rise for the armed forces was in the 70's (77 or 78) when soldier' pay was brought into line with civvy street. One of the big advertising campaigns was '£50 per week - minimum'. This was under the Labour Government.
Nap, it was definitely a biggo back in the early part of 1980, if memory serves correctly, cos I was out in NI then, having bunged in my PVR application (over a #2 haircut of all things, oh the impetuosity of yoof :D ) and, along with the "massive" wedge increase, the PVR scale changed, which, had I not had the (totally inadvertent) foresight to have already paid over my lump ready for my discharge at the end of the tour, would have resulted in my having to pay another £400-odd. Which, bearing in mind equated to about 17% of my wages back then, would have hurt. Somewhat.

Aside from the PVR changes, as you quite rightly say, the F&A increases far outweighed the dosh increase, proving the point made in my earlier post.

As with all things Westminster-related, they go for headline-grabbing stuff, then quietly screw everyone behind the scenes. It's not what they do say, it's what they don't.

Let's face it, with the job the forces are called upon to do today, the money will never be enough...
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top