PayPal scam??

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Trackpen, May 2, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just received this in a work e-mail account on which, I know, I have never used PayPal. (Come to think of it, the ONLY time I have ever used PayPal is a purchase from Arsse shop.) Has anybody else received this? Looks like a scam to me. Anybody have any info?

Subject: Security Center Advisory

Security Center Advisory!

PayPal is constantly working to ensure security by regularly screening the accounts in our system. We recently reviewed your account, and we need more information to help us provide you with secure service. Until we can collect this information, your access to sensitive account features will be limited or terminated. We would like to restore your access as soon as possible, and we apologize for the inconvenience. Why is my account access limited?Your account access has been limited for the following reason(s):· April 30, 2006: We have reason to believe that your account was accessed by a third party. Because protecting the security of your account is our primary concern, we have limited access to sensitive PayPal account features. We understand that this may be an incon! venience but please understand that this temporary limitation ! is for y our protection.Click here to Remove Limitations

Completing all of the checklist items will automatically restore your account access.Thank you for using PayPal! The PayPal Team

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account a! nd choose the "Help" link in the footer of any page.To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, update your preferences here.

PayPal Email ID PP697
  2. Do NOT reply. It is a scam. Just like banks, PayPal will never ask you to re-enter details or enter them on a site. If there are any queries the bank will either write to you or contact you via phone.
  3. I got something very similar a few weeks ago. Thing is, I don't have a Paypal account. I've only used it to donate to this site.

A scam Trackpen, and safe to ignore.
  4. If you log in to the real PayPal site through your normal link, there are instructions on what to do if you have entered any info, and an email address at PayPal to send this sort of stuff to.

Typically, some poor soul will have had a part of his website hijacked by these feckers and have fake paypal screen dumped onto it to collect your information.

PayPal will chase all this down and put a stop to this link. Sadly, there will be others ........
  5. No, I haven't opened it, just thought to pass the message on. It looked too much like a scam, with them asking for details etc. and given what I do for a living now, it would have been more than a tad stupid for me to have replied!
  6. Send them to Paypal, they have a special email address for these scams.

If you hover over the link and see a strange address and it's not 'HTTPS something Paypal', then send it to Paypal or bin it.
  7. Track pen, cheers mate, we've not fallen for any scams yet*, but use paypal a lot.

Thanks for the headsup!

*Although we did try to go to a scam website to leave sh**ty messages the other week, barclays bank my ARRSE!
  8. I 've had emails off eBay from supposedly somebody in the US wanting to send me money for an item that I was selling. I ignored the first four or five but after the next one sent it to eBay as a scam. eBay said it was not a scam but a genuine mistake.

I asked them if I was not selling anything then how did somebody have access to my details including my email address. eBay were unable to answer this satisfactorily so I reverted to plan B.

I told them to shove their site up their arrse.
  9. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator is the address to forward suspect phishing email to. They usually respond within a short time confirming that the email is not genuine.
  10. Running a whois on the domain name helps. There are lots of sites which do so but if you go

and enter "" you'll see the registrant (owner) is

PayPal Inc.
    2211 North First Street
    San Jose, CA 95131

If you now enter "" you'll see the registrant (owner) is this guy

Michael SHEPPARD
    1049 Pinenut Ct
    94087 Sunnyvale

He has simply registered a domain name with the word paypal in the title to try and fool people.
  11. I've just started getting these barclays ones, and to an account I don't publicise or use much! Very annoying!

12. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Get them occasionally, quoting a transaction such as purchase of a Tv or a watch in Hong Hong
    Often the phrase "If you dispute this transaction" then there's a link to a false paypal site
    that has a field for your paypal details.

Always go to your account via paypal itself.
  13. If you are pulling a scam, you think the idiot would choose to omit his details from the WHOIS database, an option you can do if you have a domain.

14. The registrant named is usually some poor s0d who has had their own credit card details nicked.