Paypal Refund vs Direct Debit Guarantee

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by TheresaMay, Oct 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

**Sorry, wrong forum, Mods can you please move to 'Finance'...**

I'm in a little bit of a minor pickle, and would welcome any financial guru's PsOV.

Basically, I made 3 x Flea Bay transactions last week through PayPal, which is linked and verified to my main current account by Direct Debit. Several days later I noticed that each of the three transactions had debited TWICE - but checking on Paypal reflected my net balance as zero. So assuming it must be a bank problem I got on the blower to Santander, who (under the Direct Debit Guarantee) immediately refunded my 3 x duplicate DDs.

Now this morning I get an email from PayPal saying along the lines of "We're very sorrry etc, and will be refunding you the three transactions within 3-5 business days..."

Now as well as being a devlishly handsome squaddie, I'm also incredibly honest - but in this case as far as I can see everything's above board ...but something tells me that even though the bank should notice the funds they refunded me reappearing in my account - if I don't tell them so they can take back the finds they've already refunded to me, I'll get done for something or other...? The transactions added up to £87.99 btw - I'm just glad I've got plenty of wonga in that particular account too, or I would have been facing nearly £100 in charges too.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.
  2. If you keep the money thats not yours, and do not raise it with the senders, its theft.