PayPal Malware.

I got a text message from a private number this morning. It told me my PayPal had been frozen and to follow the link to resolve it. I clicked the link and it took me to a page that looked exactly like PayPal does and it asked for my password. Luckily my AVG told me it was a malware site and to leave immediately.

Just putting it out there in case anyone else gets it.

FROM: MR DAN PATRICK. DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO. ALTERNATIVE EMAIL: (patrickdan@rediffmail.com). Dear Sir, SEEKING YOUR IMMEDIATE ASSISTANCE. Please permit me to make your acquaintance in so informal a manner. This is necessitated by my urgent need to reach a dependable and trust wordy foreign partner. This request may seem strange and unsolicited but I will crave your indulgence and pray that you view it seriously. My name is. DAN PATRICK of the Democratic Republic of Congo and One of the close aides to the former President of the Democratic Republic of Congo LAURENT KABILA of blessed memory, may his soul rest in peace. Due to the military campaign of LAURENT KABILA to force out the rebels in my country, I and some of my colleagues were instructed by Late President Kabila to go abroad to purchase arms and ammunition worth of Twenty Million, Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars only (US$20,500,000.00) to fight the rebel group. But when President Kabila was killed in a bloody shoot-out by one of his aide a day before we were schedule to travel out of Congo, We immediately decided to divert the fund into a private security company here in Congo for safe keeping. The security of the said amount is presently being threatened here following the arrest and seizure of properties of Col.Rasheidi Karesava (One of the aides to Laurent Kabila) a tribesman, and some other Military Personnel from our same tribe, by the new President of the Democratic Republic of Congo, the son of late President Laurent Kabila, Joseph Kabila. In view of this, we need a reliable and trustworthy foreign partner who can assist us to move this money out of my country as the beneficiary. WE have sufficient ''CONTACTS'' to move the fund under Diplomatic Cover to a security company in the Europe in your name. This is to ensure that the Diplomatic Baggage is marked ''CONFIDENTIAL'' and it will not pass through normal custom/airport screening and clearance. Our inability to move this money out of Congo all This while lies on our lack of trust on our supposed good friends (western countries) who suddenly became hostile to those of us who worked with the late President Kabila, immediately after his son took office. Though we have neither seen nor met each other, the information we gathered from an associate who has worked in your country has encouraged and convinced us that with your sincere assistance, this transaction will be properly handled with modesty and honesty to a huge success within two weeks. The said money is a state fund and therefore requires a total confidentiality. Thus, if you are willing to assist us move this fund out of Congo, you can contact me through my email address above with your telephone, fax number and personal information to enable us discuss the modalities and what will be your share (percentage) for assisting us. I must use this opportunity and medium to implore You to exercise the utmost indulgence to keep this Matter extraordinarily confidential, Whatever your Decision, while I await your prompt response. NOTE: FOR CONFIDENTIALITY, I WILL ADVISE YOU REPLY ME ON MY ALTERNATIVE EMAIL BOX (patrickdan@rediffmail.com).Thank you and God Bless. Best Regards, MR DAN PATRICK.

P.S. He's gen.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I got a text message from a private number this morning. It told me my PayPal had been frozen and to follow the link to resolve it. I clicked the link and it took me to a page that looked exactly like PayPal does and it asked for my password. Luckily my AVG told me it was a malware site and to leave immediately.

Never EVER follow a link in these circumstances. ALWAYS open a fresh browser tab/window and navigate into the site under your own steam. If the site has a message for you, pound to a pinch of sh¡t it's highlighted on the homepage after you've logged into your account.

Never EVER follow a link in these circumstances. ALWAYS open a fresh browser tab/window and navigate into the site under your own steam. If the site has a message for you, pound to a pinch of sh¡t it's highlighted on the homepage after you've logged into your account.
Just about to say the same thing. Never follow a link unless you are 100% certain where it came from.

I get them . Also from The TV licence people (allegedly).

It is ok for me to see them as I do not have a paypal account. The tv e scam thing is very well made, though.

Worth noting these sort of things generally and a good general thread/sticky resource.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Just about to say the same thing. Never follow a link unless you are 100% certain where it came from.
Even if you're certain of where it came from, The law of the Sod says someone's managed to fluke a phishing attack at just the right time.

...and if the 'PayPal' site you click into looks like it was put together with Letraset, have a little think. Emails of this sort always have a weird-looking originator's address, and not www.paypal.com/co.uk.

I'm still getting these, of course, and they would be funny but for the fact that they make a lot of money for the originators. All of the ones I get come through a Yahoo Singapore account I use for eBay and Amazon purchases. One recipient in ten thousand is dimmer than the rest of us, and responds to them; send out fifty thousand on an automated system and you can make great wodges of free cash:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Abidjan Ivory coast
Private Email: patriciaaka1@hotmail.com
APPEAL FOR URGENT BUS INESS ASSISTANCE.
Dear ,
Hope this mail meets you well, Please permit me to introduce my self to you, my name is Ms. Patricia Aka, I am 19 years old, the only daughter of Late Mr. Emmanuel Aka who was a famous cocoa merchant based here in Abidjan, the Economic capital of Ivory Coast ( Cote D'ivoire).
I am seeking for your assistance to help me transfer the sum of ( USD7,500,000.00 ) Seven Million Five hundred Thousand United State of American Dollars that I inherited from my late father to your bank account.
I am willing to offer you 20% of the total fund as a mode of compensation after the transfer for your time and effort.
If you agree on this proposal and ready to assist me please indicate by furnishing me with your phone and fax numbers including your full address to enable easy communication between me and you. Waiting for your cooperation.
Yours Faithfull
Ms. Patricia Aka.
Private Email: patriciaaka1@hotmail.com
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last edited:

Waz

Old-Salt
Any communication from paypal will always have your full name in it rather than some form of "Dear user", Either way, I'd not click on a link sent via email.

It would be best to check and see if your PayPal account has been compromised. Some prick in Latvia did it to me but Ebay and PayPal were able to sort it out without me getting robbed of my cash.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
some prick in Latvia did it to my F-i-L...he wasn't so lucky...lost quite a lot of money

FROM: MR DAN PATRICK. DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO. ALTERNATIVE EMAIL: (patrickdan@rediffmail.com). Dear Sir, SEEKING YOUR IMMEDIATE ASSISTANCE. Please permit me to make your acquaintance in so informal a manner. This is necessitated by my urgent need to reach a dependable and trust wordy foreign partner. This request may seem strange and unsolicited but I will crave your indulgence and pray that you view it seriously. My name is. DAN PATRICK of the Democratic Republic of Congo and One of the close aides to the former President of the Democratic Republic of Congo LAURENT KABILA of blessed memory, may his soul rest in peace. Due to the military campaign of LAURENT KABILA to force out the rebels in my country, I and some of my colleagues were instructed by Late President Kabila to go abroad to purchase arms and ammunition worth of Twenty Million, Five Hundred Thousand United States Dollars only (US$20,500,000.00) to fight the rebel group. But when President Kabila was killed in a bloody shoot-out by one of his aide a day before we were schedule to travel out of Congo, We immediately decided to divert the fund into a private security company here in Congo for safe keeping. The security of the said amount is presently being threatened here following the arrest and seizure of properties of Col.Rasheidi Karesava (One of the aides to Laurent Kabila) a tribesman, and some other Military Personnel from our same tribe, by the new President of the Democratic Republic of Congo, the son of late President Laurent Kabila, Joseph Kabila. In view of this, we need a reliable and trustworthy foreign partner who can assist us to move this money out of my country as the beneficiary. WE have sufficient ''CONTACTS'' to move the fund under Diplomatic Cover to a security company in the Europe in your name. This is to ensure that the Diplomatic Baggage is marked ''CONFIDENTIAL'' and it will not pass through normal custom/airport screening and clearance. Our inability to move this money out of Congo all This while lies on our lack of trust on our supposed good friends (western countries) who suddenly became hostile to those of us who worked with the late President Kabila, immediately after his son took office. Though we have neither seen nor met each other, the information we gathered from an associate who has worked in your country has encouraged and convinced us that with your sincere assistance, this transaction will be properly handled with modesty and honesty to a huge success within two weeks. The said money is a state fund and therefore requires a total confidentiality. Thus, if you are willing to assist us move this fund out of Congo, you can contact me through my email address above with your telephone, fax number and personal information to enable us discuss the modalities and what will be your share (percentage) for assisting us. I must use this opportunity and medium to implore You to exercise the utmost indulgence to keep this Matter extraordinarily confidential, Whatever your Decision, while I await your prompt response. NOTE: FOR CONFIDENTIALITY, I WILL ADVISE YOU REPLY ME ON MY ALTERNATIVE EMAIL BOX (patrickdan@rediffmail.com).Thank you and God Bless. Best Regards, MR DAN PATRICK.

P.S. He's gen.
You didn’t keep that very quite did you? He asks for confidentiality and you’ve blown his cover, shame on you you cad and bounder

Last edited:
There seems to have been a spate of these over the last few days. All deleted unopened.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer

[Puts on computer security head]

Never, ever follow a link in an email or text message like that.

If you want to find out if the message is genuine, first Google to find the web address of the genuine PayPal site and use that link to go to the required functionality on PayPal (or any other site). That way you don't need to trust the link in the email.

It's called a phishing attack - and it looks like you were hit by an unsophisticated one. There are ways more sophisticated attackers can avoid their sites being flagged as malware, in which case you would have given your credentials away.

Phishing - Wikipedia

[/Takes off computer security head]

Wordsmith

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Get them all the time

Just check the URL etc
Almost all of mine go direct to the Spam folder, sent there by Hotmail. The few that get through are obviously fake and get marked first as phishing scam, then as junk. Easy.

having good anti virus and firewall should save you, i use bit defender and it has safe pay for all online paying.
sadly some gullible people sadly fall for this and just 1 who does makes the scammers money.
a few sites on the net on people who string these scammers along and good reading, scam the scammers!

having good anti virus and firewall should save you, i use bit defender and it has safe pay for all online paying.
sadly some gullible people sadly fall for this and just 1 who does makes the scammers money.
a few sites on the net on people who string these scammers along and good reading, scam the scammers!
Wrong.

And stupid.

And ignorant.

Apart from those minor details, well done.

Another one to look ut for is a website that looks like Natwest:

nw01b.online

the real one is

nwolb.com

SWMBO got one of these the other day.
A quikk peep using the Linux box reavealed a convincing website but the giveaway was asing for the full PIN and password and certain links on the site not working.

Needless to say I input my full password: "fuckoffyouscammer"

Last edited: