Payment of Passport

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by blubby, Dec 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :x Can anyone tell me the rules and regulations for payment of passport applications on JPA. My son is a JS and was told he had to get a passport and is now being told he cant claim it back as he is not on an operational tour. TA can claim payment for passport so why cant a JS.

2. You don't go through JPA to claim money for passports. The unit should send off for it (and pay for it) once the relevant forms have been submitted to the clerk.

3. Unit didnt apply for it!! It was left up to me to apply for it on behalf of my son. Now they are saying he cant claim the money back!!!

4. You can claim it back on JPA once you have paid it yourself - £72 that is. There is a specific field on JPA for passport charges.

The criteria is that you must be deploying on duty overseas.

5. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

I feel there is more to this than being told.

He would not require a passport unless the Army were sending him abroad. The Army would then pay for it, as the Army required him to have it.

If however (pure hypothetical example) he had mentioned he was going on holiday during leave, and one of the DS said "well make sure you've got a passort sorted", then that's different. He's going abroad under his own steam and has to pay for his passport, as the Army didn't require him to have one at the time.

6. It CAN be claimed for on JPA. There is a drop down for it, on the JPA system in the expenses section. The unit has to pay the money anyway, it is not free to the Army (strangely) but obviously this is a convuluted way of doing it.

Make sure you keep your receipts mind.

Re the Passport thing... I thought ALL soldiers were supposed to have a passport? Not a 'just for tour' thing but in general. Hard to go on AT, Sport or courses (if like me you are in a trade that forces you, YES FORCES YOU, to go to Washington, Norway, Italy, France etc) without one.

And of course, it is just one more detail to be sorted (if you don't have one) by the unit as it spins up for deployment.

7. The rules that the army will pay for you with a passport - is when you are warned for operations or an assignment overseas order is given, otherwise through loss/damage/ negligence or not having one the soldier must pay.

8. BaT,

I was under the impression that the MOD would pay for a passport for anyone in a deployable role, if they waited until getting a warning order for a deployment they would not have sufficient time to get one.

Shiny.

9. I am led to believe you have to be warned off for ops first, I dont have the DIN at hand though

10. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

For a fastball deployment, if absolutely neccesary, a passport can be obtained by sending the individual directly to the passport office in Peterborough having booked it 24 hours in advance.

As for "deployable roles", not neccessarily. If you are not under any actual NTM for a deployment (such as a JRRF callout list) then there still isn't a requirement to have one until you are actually instructed that you are going to deploy, or need to be on standby to do so.

11. There isnt any more to this the AFC Harrogate told him he must get a passport, he is only a Junior Soldier and he is not due to go on holiday abroad until he finishes his trg!!!

12. Thanks Shiny i was under the same impression as u!!!

13. [quote="FuglyFor a fastball deployment, if absolutely neccesary, a passport can be obtained by sending the individual directly to the passport office in Peterborough having booked it 24 hours in advance.

As for "deployable roles", not neccessarily. If you are not under any actual NTM for a deployment (such as a JRRF callout list) then there still isn't a requirement to have one until you are actually instructed that you are going to deploy, or need to be on standby to do so.[/quote]

That wouldn't be a b4llache at all.....

What if your NTM is 24hours to 'somewhere'? And YES, we do have people sat on these time scales.

14. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

If he was told he must get a passport, there must be a reason for it. If they required him to have one because they require him to go somewhere, it is up to the Army to furnish him with one. I suspect that possibly your young lad has been told he needs one if he is to deploy, and has run off to daddy in order to get one instead of approaching his DS and clarifying the matter.

Then of course you need a passport. :roll: To expand on what I meant, you could argue that anybody posted anywhere within 16AAB is in a "deployable role", however some of these very people I can guarantee do not have a current passport and will not unless they are warned for Ops or placed on a NTM for a certain reason.

15. Back of the net, you little feck.

Everyone in the Army should have a passport that lasts 9 months, that the Army will pay for. They will not, however, pay for replacements or the money to pay for "fast track" shite that you have you cough up for if your wife washes it.

Test me on passports, I very dare you. :D

Now piss off to your own threads and stop stamping on ours.

Love and kisses etc xxx