Paying tax while away on operations.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Stockton96, Feb 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I agree should have been done years ago. Signed.
  2. I think you may be a bit late. tax rebate type lump sum and all that jazz!
  3. I still recall the conversation I had about council tax with Farnborough DC about who was allowed to not pay (crims, mentals and mongs) and who had to pay (servicemen...erm that's it) when absent from home.
  4. Yes there is a lump sum rebate but at the low end of the scale so a fullscrew or above who may have down several tours still doesn't get all their tax back on the current tours under the system.

This new system is better than a kick in the swingers but still not truly fair.
  5. I'm a lance jack and it falls short of covering my tax.
  6. Absolutely. It's a farcical appeasement of the tabloids with virtually no logic behind it. Indeed, the logic taken to its natural conclusion would suggest that a Brigadier should be paid the same as a private soldier. Just another thing to wind me up.
  7. Totally agree with the sentiments here.....however becoming a bit sceptical about these petitions. I've seen several over the last week or so. Pay as you drive, keep Parachute training, get rid of speed humps and so on. Im sure you've all seen several on this site alone.
    Do any of us actually believe that, indignant and good intentioned as we are, the goberment will change things based on thinks not. Loved to be proved wrong.
  8. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Posted this in the TA forum so I'll make it brief and not bore you

Ex Reg joined QOY (TA) 2003
    Sent back to do basic training 2003 (counted as camp for bounty but missed bounty due to this being after cut off date)
    Did camp 2003
    Went on two week exrcise 2003
    Called up 2004 for Telic 4
    Arrived Chillwell with P 60 showing earnings off £31 000 from civ div + TA earnings
    After it was put in front off a panal of officers my troopers wage £12000? was made up to £22000 to avoid 'etreme hardship' Mortgage payments etc
    Went on Telic 4 had a great time saved a few grand
    Arrived home paid £1000 council tax although the house had stood empty for 9 months (lots of arguing there)
    Came back to civ work Jan 05 got promoted and a wage rise
    P60 for April 04 to April 05 showed earning off just over 26k (a 5k loss but by fukc I enjoyed my self so no probs)
    October this year got a nice letter from the taxman
    He tells me that by earning 26k I'm over my earning allowence could I send off my P60's for 2004- 05
    Did this
    Now been hit with a £1000 fine
    This will be taken from my wages by way off a higher tax code to lift approx £100 per month extra
    So even though I lost money I end up paying the tax man extra never mind not paying tax on ops Ive eneded up paying more

Petition singed with relish
  9. used the scorched relish on my burger - go back and sign with ink :biggrin:

10. Signed.
  11. Signed :numberone: