Paying for Parkrun

Stoke Gifford Parish Council In South Gloucestershire have decided to charge Parkrun for their weekly 5k trot around the council-owned park.
Considering that the runs are free to participants how can this be justified? Presumably most of the runners will have paid council tax already? How does the council differentiate between autonomous runners and ones taking part in the organised event?
It seems bizarre that authorities can take this action when they are supposed to be encouraging more people to take more exercise. In my local park it is a great shame to see the rubbish left behind by visitors after any stretch of decent weather- It would make more sense to charge these chavvy feral litter twerps than people who might, at most, be guilty of churning up a bit of mud.

Anyway, job done by the bright sparks on the parish council- it seems that Parkrun will no longer organise the run there. Be interesting to see if people still turn out en masse for a weekend jog.

Edited to change the name of the council to the correct one.

Last edited:
I was perusing the outrage over this earlier. The runners dont pay parkrun, but parkrun do profit from donations (see their website for details) and from sponsorship. The paid staff do ok out of it apparently.

This isn't new either, several businesses using public parks have been asked to cough up in the recent past. (Portsmouth IIRC started this in the past year)

South Gloucestershire council have decided to charge Parkrun for their weekly 5k trot around the council-owned park.
Considering that the runs are free to participants how can this be justified? Presumably most of the runners will have paid council tax already? How does the council differentiate between autonomous runners and ones taking part in the organised event?
It seems bizarre that authorities can take this action when they are supposed to be encouraging more people to take more exercise. In my local park it is a great shame to see the rubbish left behind by visitors after any stretch of decent weather- It would make more sense to charge these chavvy feral litter twerps than people who might, at most, be guilty of churning up a bit of mud.

Anyway, job done by the bright sparks on S. Gloucestershire council- it seems that Parkrun will no longer organise the run there. Be interesting to see if people still turn out en masse for a weekend jog.
Probably more to it than reported. I don't know if Britmilfit et al have to pay for the use of parks but I'd suggest that Parkrun have come under some sort of blanket policy, possibly to do with insurance. The trouble with doing it anyway is that the park is council property and they have an absolute right to toss you out without giving a reason. Just look at some of the ridiculous ideas for park ruled that've been floated over the years. No single men, no photography etc.

That sounds bizarre.
Have done a few Parkruns and made some new running oppos.
We tidy up after ourselves and pump money into a local cafe for post run coffees etc. Supporting local business, who pay rates and source their wares from local suppliers, employ locals who pay rates or rent etc etc.
Still 80+ runners, the average number at my local PR, following the same route can put some pressure on grass areas and already well used paths.
Maybe the PRers could do a voluntary park clean up, contact local press etc as a bit of Public Relations. A balls ache but may help.
Also if they post run caffeine fix, get the cafe owner to drip to councillors about potential loss of business and jobs due to lack of custom on Saturdays. Creative BSing never hurts. :)

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Runners are getting to be the new cyclists. Thorough inability to look where they're are going and abuse everybody else who gets in their way.
Saturday morning, the dame and bunch of grunters walked their dogs in the park. Short leads, clean up behind them all very civilised. Bunches of runners, tear through them, trip over them and generally give abuse.
The dog walkers have been walking there for years, this Saturday morning grief is a recent phenomenon. Many of the Doggy people and these are not tattoos and Rottweiler types, have chosen to switch parks.
If that's the case and the runners want exclusive use at the weekend, fine, Bill them.
Let them pay for it.

Just seems slightly wrong to me, public areas that are owned and funded by tax payers should be available to exercise in at no cost.

If however the company is making a profit, then maybe some of that should make its way into the public purse for maintenance. My local park is mobbed on a Saturday morning and I think it is great that so many are getting out running.

Wets.

South Gloucestershire council today announced that a small fee had been levied in order to cover the extra costs of cleaning the park after Paula Radcliffe had participated in Parkrun events.

To be fair on South Glos council, it's actually the PARISH council who are planning to levy the charge. All part of the increasing Nazification of Parish Councils - ours have started strutting about with speed guns and shouting at passing cyclists for "going too fast".

To be fair on South Glos council, it's actually the PARISH council who are planning to levy the charge. All part of the increasing Nazification of Parish Councils - ours have started strutting about with speed guns and shouting at passing cyclists for "going too fast".
Pity it's only speed guns.

I saw a bit about this earlier and the council spokesman said it was a nominal charge to cover the cleaning of the toilets and the like after the event. He raised the point that they charge £80 for the hire of a football pitch to cover the costs of running it and quoted the figure of £1 per head for these organised runs to merely cover costs.

It wasn't South Gloucestershire Council (as much as it galls me to defend them), it was Stoke Gifford Parish Council who have imposed the charges.

It wasn't South Gloucestershire Council (as much as it galls me to defend them), it was Stoke Gifford Parish Council who have imposed the charges.
They do have a point though. Parks cost money to maintain and Parkrun isn't a charity. It has a cash turnover, paid directors and paid staff.

Most large charities have a cash turnover, paid directors and paid staff otherwise they probably wouldn't be able to do their job.

I think it's good that South Gloucestershire are discouraging people from doing exercise and stopping people from using recreational areas for the purpose which they were intended. There's not enough obese people in this country and we should allow public spaces to be reclaimed by people who are up to no good. Just like the bad old days.

It would be good if they could just horsewhip the a-holes that decide to turn up to Park Run with their dogs and think it's sooooooo cool to run with the mutt. The last thing you want whilst running is some yappy, snappy, rat running around your legs on one of those retractable leashes.

I think it's good that South Gloucestershire are discouraging people from doing exercise and stopping people from using recreational areas for the purpose which they were intended. There's not enough obese people in this country and we should allow public spaces to be reclaimed by people who are up to no good. Just like the bad old days.
I dont think it is too much for a company profitting from such an arrangement to pay a small fee for maintenance.

I dont think it is too much for a company profitting from such an arrangement to pay a small fee for maintenance.
Certainly a lot cheaper than buying, creating and maintaining their own running area