Paying for court mounting of medals (not miniatures)?

I have been informed by an ex-RQMS that the army should pay for mounting of medals. I haved recently received LSGC and on enquiry through my QMs department in Bulford, I have been told that I must pay myself for the military tailor to mount them. Is there any rules that suggest otherwise, if so, where can i find it to show our clothing store/tailors, or must i bite the bullet and pay?? The rest of my medals are already court mounted.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I've just got my LS&GC, Telic and will be getting Herrick soon, and have been asking the same questions. Our tailor will swing mount them (or whatever its called) and the QM's will pick up the bill. If i want to court mount them, i must pay. I also asked why the QM's didnt pay the normal charge, with those wanting court mounting picking up the difference - got told to wind it in but i did think it was a fair point.

SLRbloke said:
I have been informed by an ex-RQMS that the army should pay for mounting of medals. I haved recently received LSGC and on enquiry through my QMs department in Bulford, I have been told that I must pay myself for the military tailor to mount them. Is there any rules that suggest otherwise, if so, where can i find it to show our clothing store/tailors, or must i bite the bullet and pay?? The rest of my medals are already court mounted.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=37842.html

putteesinmyhands said:
Ventress said:
putteesinmyhands said:
As an aside, the correct way to mount them is swing-mounted on the brooch provided by the QM. But we all like spending money, so we generally go for court mounted.

This comment is bound to open up some discussion!
Definatley Court-mounted. Is there any other way?
From THE DEFENCE SUPPLY CHAIN MANUAL
JSP 336 (3rd Edition)
VOLUME 12 PART 3 PAMPHLET 10 SECTION 2:

WEARING OF ORDERS, DECORATIONS AND MEDALS

7. Issue of Brooches to Soldiers. Soldiers may be issued with a brooch of sufficient
size to carry the authorised Medal or Medals in accordance with Volume 12, Part 3,
Pamphlets 4, 7 and 13 of these regulations. Additionally:

f. Medals with ribands attached or ribbons alone are to be fixed to brooches by
the unit tailor’s shop or contract tailor (see Volume 12 Part 3 Pamphlet 1 of these
regulations). The cost of fixing soldier’s Medals by a contract under the terms of this
Sub-Paragraph is to be charged to public funds through the unit Imprest Account.

COURT MOUNTING OF MEDALS
10. Policy. Medals may be court mounted at private expense. In the interest of
uniformity, the policy for court mounting in units will be left at the discretion of regiments
and corps. Medals are court mounted at public expense for members of the Household
Division, and Public Duties battalions at Hounslow and Edinburgh and the Bands and
Pipes and Drums of the Scottish Division, engaged in ceremonial duties.
So, unless you belong to one of the above units, the correct method of mounting is swing, but you're not prevented by regulations from having them court mounted.
Hope that helps!

When NATO medals were first issued many units paid for court mounting because the NATO ribbon was slightly narrower than standard British ones, leading to NATO medals hanging 'wonky'.

Latest Threads