Paying a 3% increase in NHS salaries... viable?

green_slime

War Hero
Maybe I wasn't clear - I CANNOT get an appointment to see a GP and haven't been able to for nearly 2 years. As the NHS is not able to deliver ANY primary health care whatsoever to me anything must be better than the current system.
then change practices. I needed to a GP appointment. Completed an Econsult in the evening and had a GP phone call (appropriate to need ) at 1215 the next day with a result. How much better do you want?

Lots of NHS staff had better than furlough.
Many just stayed at home, on full pay, even though the work they usually did still needed to be done.

This just meant clinics and treatment of the sick was halted.

The NHS is going to be having an awful lot of awkward conversations where it explains to people that by chinning them off for 18 months it saved them from Covid with a 99.95% survival rate, but their cancer or whatever, left undiagnosed and untreated for that long, has now reached a stage where they have <10%, or even 0%.

Clap and bang your saucepans for our heroes.

Slime

LE
The NHS is going to be having an awful lot of awkward conversations where it explains to people that by chinning them off for 18 months it saved them from Covid with a 99.95% survival rate, but their cancer or whatever, left undiagnosed and untreated for that long, has now reached a stage where they have <10%, or even 0%.

I have followed that very subject for some time

I’ve heard various researchers estimate a three to four times larger death rate from depression and untreated illnesses compared to COVID deaths.

The deaths from untreated cancers have been going on almost from day one of lockdown.

The Mike Graham show on TalkRADIO regularly does segments of lack of NHS treatment and particularly lack of access to GP surgeries.

One example that stood out was contact to patients from a practice that stated the surgery’s job was NOT to make people better!

That changes with regard to age and co-morbities. This is what NICE deals with regularly. You do have a £ figure attached to you. Accept it and move on. If you want to contribute more then the Treasury will accept cheques.

I know. I'm getting my heart fixed on the NHS installment plan: I'm allowed £x per annum, provided I survive to the next 5th April. It's only been 4 years so far...

I quite enjoyed it when the Prof announced me to the theatre staff as they wheeled me in as, one of his regulars.

I ain't dead yet and I ain't going to be until the job's completed.

so why are they asking for a pay rise while valued as " heroes" over covud?
Because the value to them of their skills is not the same as the value to the NHS or wider society.

Try recruiting and retaining the health professionals you need to cure your cancer or pin your broken bones together with promises of applause and then discuss with them how the definition of value is universally a financial one.

Because the value to them of their skills is not the same as the value to the NHS or wider society.

Try recruiting and retaining the health professionals you need to cure your cancer or pin your broken bones together with promises of applause and then discuss with them how the definition of value is universally a financial one.
You keep arguing this, but how else are they to be rated for where on the payscale they should belong?

All jobs are important and the cleaners on minimum wage make more difference to whether you survive a stay in hospital than the nurses and doctors do.

Mbongwe

Old-Salt
All jobs are important and the cleaners on minimum wage make more difference to whether you survive a stay in hospital than the nurses and doctors do.
Hyperbole, but I get your point.

Last edited:

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Maybe I wasn't clear - I CANNOT get an appointment to see a GP and haven't been able to for nearly 2 years. As the NHS is not able to deliver ANY primary health care whatsoever to me anything must be better than the current system.
Strange that, primary car has had more appointments over the past few months than it has in the history of the NHS.
If you’ve a minor condition we don’t often need to see you and can deal with a telephone consultation.
We have to limit who comes in due to risk through Covid, that is what NHS England mandated us to do. Email the health minister or pay private.

My GP no longer takes forward appointments - you phone at 08:00 to try and get a triage call, if you are lucky enough to get through in the first 5 or 6 minutes then you may or may not get to see to a doctor that day depending on the view of the call handler. If it can wait till the next day then no appointment whatever the issue. I have complained to the practice and got the reply that covid meant they must keep appointments for those with urgent medical needs. Pointing out that the issue has taken me from MFD to currently MND and needs to be dealt with by a doctor is just ignored as no harm will come by waiting a day.

"Pay private" is a joke when i've paid just under £20k in tax and NI last tax year. Give me back my NI and i'll happily go to BUPA.
You could move to another GP, or, if it really is urgent, turn up at a hospital A&E.

You could move to another GP, or, if it really is urgent, turn up at a hospital A&E.
I rarely bother my GP but recently had need to seek an appointment. Five minutes filling in a multiple choice form on their online triage system, and I got a call back within a couple of hours offering me an appointment later the same day. Likewise a hospital outpatient follow up was needed and that was all sorted within ‘normal’ timescales.

But if my local paper letters page or social media is to be believed, neither are seeing anyone.

NHS," We're only getting a 3% pay rise! This is an insult!"

Police, "At least you lot are getting a pay rise! We're getting feck all!"

The Private Sector, "Ladies and gentlemen....welcome to our world" ;)

NHS," We're only getting a 3% pay rise! This is an insult!"

Police, "At least you lot are getting a pay rise! We're getting feck all!"

The Private Sector, "Ladies and gentlemen....welcome to our world" ;)
The last one obviously depends on which bit of the private sector you’re in. I can’t complain, for instance.

kandak01

Clanker
Without wishing to inflame your situation, if you haven't seen your GP for two years, there are only a limited number of explanations:
1. You haven't tried to get a FTF appt.
2. Your request has been triaged to "not needing a FTF" appointment
3. Your GP is useless, and you need to change GP
4. Your GP has been doing other more important stuff since last March
5. Your GP practice is doing what many others around the nation are doing - failing, since the T&C for GPs have deteriorated significantly over the last decade, and there are c.6500 fewer now than a few years ago, despite Jeremy Hunts promise to generate 5000 extra: that makes the current shortfall c.11500. Perhaps GPs also need a huge pay rise/improvemnt in T&C to encourage them to join up/stay in post? ;-)

Anyway, if you've waited 2 years, it's probably not urgent enough to go to A&E.
You could go to a private GP if you're so minded: that will give you an idea of the market rate for 20mins of a doctor's time.

Whatever, the fact that you haven't seen your GP doesn't constitute good evidence that "the NHS isn't delivering any primary care whatsoever".

As others have pointed out, GPs have been busier than ever (often doing vaccination programmes). Just because you don't see a particular doctor, doesn't mean they're sitting on their backsides watching TV, or playing golf.

And while I'm at it ;-)
Although there's a lot of concern about high mortality from missed/delayed cancers, heart attacks etc., (sometimes exaggerated by special interest groups) there's limited evidence that this is really the case.

Back on topic: an Insurance based system has some potential advantages over a fully state funded service, but also disadvantages. As Grumpy says, falling into a group that is uninsurable/unprofitable is a key disadvantage, and increasingly likely as we all get older.