Paying a 3% increase in NHS salaries... viable?

Having read through these few lines (and my sister is a midwife): poor pay will send them abroad.
A friend of mine (Tornado pilot) moved to Australia to continue her career.
Poor pay for the “heroes” doesn’t hold for the people doing the catheters.
Stupid, mean, and will only contribute to the drain.

But lets be honest, even if the Govt offered to give each nurse a bar of gold bullion there would still be complaints it wasn't enough.

Oh I don’t know, I was more than happy with my bar of gold bullion when they dished them out for all our efforts and I never heard anyone else complain.

Right now, if I were Boris, I'd offer nurses 3%, but fail to mention it'll be their turn not to get the steam of his sh¡t until others catch up.

What I would be doing is offering 4% to those paid under 20k 3% under 30k, 1% under 40k and nothing for anyone over 40k - would balance whole thing out nicely.

What I would be doing is offering 4% to those paid under 20k 3% under 30k, 1% under 40k and nothing for anyone over 40k - would balance whole thing out nicely.
Sounds about right. Boris has given so many lefty promises, these are easy, and straightaway attainable hits.

And to effect this the executives will be taking a 4% pay cut.

When do we get the announcement MPs are getting a 10% rise and it’s impossible for them to reject it?

When do we get the announcement MPs are getting a 10% rise and it’s impossible for them to reject it?
To be cynical about this...
I have been in a local government council chamber when this has been discussed. The sole independent had the floor, and passionately argued for a withholding of benefits. Stony silence, followed by guffawing ‘ no-one to second’ etc.
Sad face on: ‘these are set outside our control, therefore we must do as they say’.
Unless you ain’t in the ruling party.

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
That would happen anyway, most who can retire young with a decent pension seem to do so what ever industry.
FoC
I can look forward to no pay rise for at least the next two years - although I am 'valued and respected' by my employer (they told me so and I have an email to prove it). In real terms, that means that whatever 'The NHS', whether cleaner, nurse, doctor or manager is getting, I'm 1% worse off. Which is fine by me, let's be honest - we all have choices in life, some chose to work for companies / trusts funded by the NHS as it would be a job for life.
We've all been affected by the pandemic, and will be for years to come. I don't see how an unaffordable payrise (as opposed to necessary spending to protect lives and the economy) will make things better.
That said, if there was a one-off 'Covid bounty' for those on 'active NHS service' (i.e. all patient facing / servicing functions) I'm sure it would be well received and supported.

neil82

Old-Salt
problem the NHS has is nothing to do with money, it is totally mismanaged by incompetent twats who can big it up in an interview but have no clue when it comes to the shop floor, unfortunately that describes pretty much every public funded organisation, private company would see through the bullshit and sack the twats

Are nurses contracted hours or salaried?

Slime

LE
When I heard a union rep bleating about this earlier on the radio I went to tell my other half.

She is one of these NHS hero types who deserves a 12 1/2% pay rise at the very very very least............she risks her life daily in self sacrifice.

Anyway, I heard this all at lunchtime so went to talk to her, she has been working from home for ages, and is often sat with her laptop in her dressing gown.

Anyhoo, we didn't get to discuss the issue as she had got into bed and was asleep!
Bloody brave heroes these NHS workers!

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I've worked for the nhs now in IT since 2013. on the one hand I love it - usually a good working environment, I've had some great colleagues and especially this last year I've really felt like I've contributed, however slight it may have been. but the waste and inefficiency and the way it's run...I guarantee you could sack at least half of the 'managers' and 'executives' and the place would probably run better. you could certainly afford to pay nurses better with the money you'd save. I'd far rather have the nhs than the american system...but it badly needs rationalising and a major dose of common sense.

I've worked for the nhs now in IT since 2013. on the one hand I love it - usually a good working environment, I've had some great colleagues and especially this last year I've really felt like I've contributed, however slight it may have been. but the waste and inefficiency and the way it's run...I guarantee you could sack at least half of the 'managers' and 'executives' and the place would probably run better. you could certainly afford to pay nurses better with the money you'd save. I'd far rather have the nhs than the american system...but it badly needs rationalising and a major dose of common sense.
Nice to see that Jin Sahota, the (£230k pa) CEO of the NHS supply chain has fallen on his sword after ‘criticism’ of his handling of the COVID crisis. It seems it wasn’t actually Boris (grrr) who was supposed to be organising PPE supplies...
Jin Sahota resigns from NHS Supply Chain role

From about 2003 I was working in the private sector. My pay remained largely static (it actually decreased by 17p over that time, but this was from site transfers) until a site finally gave us a 1% pay rise. Which two months later was increased as the minimum wage cap increase moved it up by 2p.

To me getting a year on year guaranteed pay rise doesn't sound too bad. If they dislike it so much feel free to try the private sector and see how things go.

It does seem unreasonable/unrealistic to expect to come through a pandemic and expect to come out the other side financially better off, (yes I know a few have done very well) , I think people, be it in the private or public sector should be grateful they still have a job/house/car .

Nice to see that Jin Sahota, the (£230k pa) CEO of the NHS supply chain has fallen on his sword after ‘criticism’ of his handling of the COVID crisis. It seems it wasn’t actually Boris (grrr) who was supposed to be organising PPE supplies...
Jin Sahota resigns from NHS Supply Chain role
Hmm, I stopped reading at "operationalise" - says a lot about the culture at that level...

Well, at least it was spelt the UK way. But we may have the journalist to thank for that.

That said, if there was a one-off 'Covid bounty' for those on 'active NHS service' (i.e. all patient facing / servicing functions) I'm sure it would be well received and supported.
It would end up being another Jubilee medal. Who gets it? Police? Ambo crews? Trumpton? Doris on the hospital reception behind her new plexiglass screen with three layers of PPE on is still (in her mind at least) “on the front line”. I’m not holding my breath for any recognition just waiting for the carnage once the pubs open and an entire years wankerdom spills out all at once.