Paying a 3% increase in NHS salaries... viable?

It would help the police case if only they didn't have such a woeful record of actually reducing crime, bringing criminals to account, and leaving the law abiding in peace.
Multiple failures to deal with child rape gangs in a particular demography, inter gang stabbings in another, investigating and prosecuting rape allegations, etc ad nauseam.
That, just maybe, is why the police don't get pay rises.
I’m fortunate to live in An area covered by a very good police force.

It would help the police case if only they didn't have such a woeful record of actually reducing crime, bringing criminals to account, and leaving the law abiding in peace.
Multiple failures to deal with child rape gangs in a particular demography, inter gang stabbings in another, investigating and prosecuting rape allegations, etc ad nauseam.
That, just maybe, is why the police don't get pay rises.

Or not being able to beat The Taliban or ISIL etc when you have a multi billion budget and we are told how great our military are is why the military aren’t getting one.

Very easy to make snide comments without really knowing what you are talking about.

The prisons are virtually full, police cells regularly reach capacity, courts are backlogged and The CJS is buckling. We must be doing something right even though we lost 20k police and another 20k staff.

Or not being able to beat The Taliban or ISIL etc when you have a multi billion budget and we are told how great our military are is why the military aren’t getting one.

Very easy to make snide comments without really knowing what you are talking about.

The prisons are virtually full, police cells regularly reach capacity, courts are backlogged and The CJS is buckling. We must be doing something right even though we lost 20k police and another 20k staff.
If you are comparing the Police with the military, we did defeat the taliban, we lost the war on the political level, combined with a series of failing senior officers. Sounds familiar?

If you are comparing the Police with the military, we did defeat the taliban, we lost the war on the political level, combined with a series of failing senior officers. Sounds familiar?

Absolutely. So not the vast majority of the organisations fault and no reason to withhold a pay rise.

Just a snide comment.

Slime

LE
I am not defending The NHS, as I said, I would love a 3% increase. However, a military website, needs to accept that value for money is debatable all over.

Apologies if my post offended.
I wasnt trying to say you were :)
Just merely pointing out that some in the NHS are royally taking the mick, and wouldn’t even consider putting the commitment in that the forces require.

A good way to respond to your post could have been to point out that although troops can do sports on Wednesdays or knock off early on Friday they might still also be called to work 24/7 in life of death situations.
My experience of one hospital (I won’t name) is that when the call came for staff to pull out all the stops for Covid the staff refused to help in large numbers, and countless people suddenly had to stay at home (literally, just be paid to stay at home, not work from home) due to medical conditions they had not only never had before, but were never asked to prove were real.

My other half was simply sent home, and told she wasn’t allowed into the hospital……..despite her not being bothered by her vulnerability and wanting to go to work.
That lasted a few months, then the entire dept was only allowed to do one week on, one week off (none were patient facing).

After around eight months only 20% of the dept were actually going to work…………And not one of them was ever actually positive for Covid.

We regularly see sickness figures for other public sector orgs published. Let’s see how the military compare.

You'd have to be able to get access to the JPA data to do that, which of course you may well be able to do.

CIPD produces industry metrics. CIPFA are more Local Government and a bit of Education focused. People like Hackett Group are engaged in Central Government - they are global benchmark business. There is lots of data out there to compare the Armed Forces with. What you find however is different factors apply in different sectors - not many people in Local Government for example get shot unfortunately.

I have never seen it on the news or in the papers compared to the police or other orgs.

I have seen numerous articles about obesity in the military, which is strange.

I'd say the obesity issue is flagged by the media as how to fat soldiers fight? Sensationalism I'd say more than anything. I'd guess the MoD is very protective of its absence figures as it gives a good insight into fighting capability.

It was interesting to see the armed forces draft into logistics for Covid. You wouldnt believe how shite people are at supply chain. Its scary.

Anyway - thread drift. Back to the plot - the NHS has done nothing to deserve 3% and the pension liability is crippling the country. Proposed rises in National Insurance contributions from the private sector are basically there to cover the bloated pension costs of the public sector, and the problem is getting worse

Absolutely. So not the vast majority of the organisations fault and no reason to withhold a pay rise.

Just a snide comment.
Raise taxes and pay more? Cut welfare, NHS, reduce the numbers in both houses, make the Army accountable for wasting money, whilst waking for more?
How many ex service personnel leave after 22, join various other public service arenas, fire service, NHS, Police, then spend another 20 plus years on a subsidised pension plan?

After 26 years in the military, my pension is very nice, considerably better than my friends, yet I’ve actually contributed less, into it.

Salary is one benefit of public service, pension, holidays, sick leave, subsidised higher education are the others.

There should be a tiered structure for Pay, you could for example opt out of the gold plated pension for the first five years, for a higher salary, then opt back in?

homeworker

War Hero
Apologies if my post offended.
I wasnt trying to say you were :)
Just merely pointing out that some in the NHS are royally taking the mick, and wouldn’t even consider putting the commitment in that the forces require.

A good way to respond to your post could have been to point out that although troops can do sports on Wednesdays or knock off early on Friday they might still also be called to work 24/7 in life of death situations.
My experience of one hospital (I won’t name) is that when the call came for staff to pull out all the stops for Covid the staff refused to help in large numbers, and countless people suddenly had to stay at home (literally, just be paid to stay at home, not work from home) due to medical conditions they had not only never had before, but were never asked to prove were real.

My other half was simply sent home, and told she wasn’t allowed into the hospital……..despite her not being bothered by her vulnerability and wanting to go to work.
That lasted a few months, then the entire dept was only allowed to do one week on, one week off (none were patient facing).

After around eight months only 20% of the dept were actually going to work…………And not one of them was ever actually positive for Covid.
I don’t think that it would be unfair to divide the NHS into two parts, medical and the non-medical. In general the medical side is brilliant, they work hard, well qualified and very prepared to put in the extra hours when the occasion requires it. The non-medical is where it gets let down, there are so many jobsworth pen pushers who will only work within their silo and do no more is terrifying.

some social commentator was just on GB news advocating they all go on strike and hold the country to ransom. Someone needs to take her outside and give her a good slapping. Even though she was ginger.

"Paying a 3% increase in NHS salaries... viable?"

They Tik Tok in work time so what is the raise for?
For all that £40ph overtime they did

some social commentator was just on GB news advocating they all go on strike and hold the country to ransom. Someone needs to take her outside and give her a good slapping. Even though she was ginger.

I hope they do, would give the government the opportunity to bring about NHS reform.

One can dream...

And the military who have been drafted in to help in hospitals, vaccination centres, test centres etc are on a 0% pay rise.

I was on a cardiac ward during and between lockdowns. Lots of REME lads and lasses stood around the wards. That's stood around the wards. Occasionally they'd push a wheelchair there and bacj again.
They were absolutely vital to the NHS during this crisis. Oh yes. Absolutely. Just a stunt IMO.

But what's worse in my old n bold eyes was I was doing better with the nurses than they were. Unforgiveable. Bring back being beasted and milling.

I was on a cardiac ward during and between lockdowns. Lots of REME lads and lasses stood around the wards. That's stood around the wards. Occasionally they'd push a wheelchair there and bacj again.
They were absolutely vital to the NHS during this crisis. Oh yes. Absolutely. Just a stunt IMO.

But what's worse in my old n bold eyes was I was doing better with the nurses than they were. Unforgiveable. Bring back being beasted and milling.
Bet a few nurses saw the benefit....

some social commentator was just on GB news advocating they all go on strike and hold the country to ransom. Someone needs to take her outside and give her a good slapping. Especially because she was ginger.
I know that I'm being mean.
3% pay rise? I've no idea if that is justified or not, it's above inflation anyway, but how were the pay rises in previous years?

Slime

LE
I know that I'm being mean.
3% pay rise? I've no idea if that is justified or not, it's above inflation anyway, but how were the pay rises in previous years?

Some of the pay rises I know of were really upgrades within a pay scale, so those at the bottom end of a grade got a rise, while those at the top of their grade/band got nothing.

This meant two people at the same band, sat next to each other, and doing the exact same job could get different outcomes.

And the military who have been drafted in to help in hospitals, vaccination centres, test centres etc are on a 0% pay rise.
They haven't done anything in Scotland .....apparently

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Its no use giving the military a pay rise , theres bugger all for them to pay it back wiith now now . They pay food accommodation, no rail warrants or flights at reasonable levels one per leave ?? The cost of replacing lost kit has risen ..........

oh wait a minute theres still ''''''.... Barrack room damages !! thats the ticket give em ALL 3% then snatch it back . Everyone is happy.