Paying a 3% increase in NHS salaries... viable?

With the press grumbling as well as Labour sh*t stirring as usual along with the media there is some thinking perhaps 1% isn't enough...

Was just doing some figures in my head, let's say the average salary of an NHS worker = £30,000 but in alot of cases MORE

Total number of NHS employees = Nearly 1.2 million according to this publishment give or take

"All NHS Hospital & Community Health Service (HCHS) staff
1,171,335 FTE in November 2020. This is 4.4% (48,959) more than in November 2019.
1,320,014 Headcount in November 2020. This is 4.0% (50,737) more than in November 2019."

So extra say £900 per head, times 1.2 million = £1,080,000,000

Personally I couldn't give a toss because my perception is they are doing their job like the average squaddie, plod, bin man or shop worker, and it's not like they didn't know they would get rich being nurses etc

I can see Bojo in for alot of flak over this in the papers, especially from Labour whom are already whinging about the temporary £20 a week cut in UC being discontineud from September... not forgetting it was never meant to be permanent

At least the Tories know its cheaper to clap...

Their own ******* stupid fault for demanding 12.5%

If they had started off with something reasonable they could have negotiated a deal - but instead they acted like a bunch of 1970’s dock workers, and as a result ended up with a token increase. My heart pumps purple piss for them. Given the millions of people have struggled over the last year, those who have lost their jobs or been furloughed, I can’t see a huge amount of sympathy for people with job security and a guaranteed pension asking for more, even if they are nurses.

The NHS is the 5th largest employer in the world. Amazing given that the UK doesn't even make the top 20 largest populations.

Perhaps if they culled some of the executives and there was a curtailment of the waste, then they could have more.

But lets be honest, even if the Govt offered to give each nurse a bar of gold bullion there would still be complaints it wasn't enough.

Mrs is a senior nurse on 48K a year. However, it's salary she gets no overtime and during Covid has been doing 14 hours a day 6 days a week at the peak.
I'm a band 2, yet as a courier driver I can go into multiple locations that are Covid Red delivering stuff.

The NHS is going to haemorrhage staff massively in a very short time, people WILL leave the organisation because they know they are not respected or valued.

cowgoesmoo

Old-Salt
Conveniently forgotten is that incremental increases are still going ahead plus the £250 boost for lower paid staff. And the last 3 years of above inflation pay increases ranging from 6.5% for the top earners to 12% for new entrants. With private sector pay down 7% and millions unemployed I'm not sure how much sympathy they'll actually get.

Can't say i've heard much outrage from Labour about Ben Wallace binning off next the pay increase..

Can we not give the fat cnuts a pay cut? If they got paid what they were worth, there'd be some very disappointed nurses finding out that they were getting nothing for sitting on their fat arses all day tweeting about COVID, when people actually needed them to do their jobs.

Mrs is a senior nurse on 48K a year. However, it's salary she gets no overtime and during Covid has been doing 14 hours a day 6 days a week at the peak.
I'm a band 2, yet as a courier driver I can go into multiple locations that are Covid Red delivering stuff.

The NHS is going to haemorrhage staff massively in a very short time, people WILL leave the organisation because they know they are not respected or valued.
NHS staff may want to leave but where will they go? , the private sector only has so many vacancies.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I do think the government might have paid them more, in recognition of their work this last year. I also recognise nobody else is getting the steam off Boris's sh¡t and they can think themselves lucky to be getting a pay rise at all for doing their job while no fúcker else is.

Right now, if I were Boris, I'd offer nurses 3%, but fail to mention it'll be their turn not to get the steam of his sh¡t until others catch up.

Can we not give the fat cnuts a pay cut? If they got paid what they were worth, there'd be some very disappointed nurses finding out that they were getting nothing for sitting on their fat arses all day tweeting about COVID, when people actually needed them to do their jobs.
HCA`s being the worst , more work and urgency in a tortoise.

neil82

Old-Salt

48k is not chicken feed, as for the hours, they are well over the legal limit so it has been her choice to do them, NHS pay for a hell of a lot of them is high compared to most other skilled trades and before any one starts, with the degree requirement now it is just that, another trade

If they think it's better outside the NHS try it.
They go to work for the money and security same as most of us.
I met some heart rendingly kind and brilliant nurses while being fixed up.
I also met a few too many lazy arrogant ignorant leeches who damn near killed my father with carelessness.
In a production environment they would have been sacked and down the road.

I dont think many who've worked in the NHS for a good length of time have a clue what the real world ( private sector ) is like .

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
48k is not chicken feed, as for the hours, they are well over the legal limit so it has been her choice to do them, NHS pay for a hell of a lot of them is high compared to most other skilled trades and before any one starts, with the degree requirement now it is just that, another trade
When I retired six years ago from building the software that every one of us who accesses a bank account remotely, and almost everybody around the world who does same (stand fast South Korea, who chose to move their critical databases off the mainframe), I'd never earned more than ~42K.

I could be bitter, but I've balanced my books and I get State Retirement in a little over five months.

my own experience is totally the opposite,, it`s the degree level nurses who turn their noses up and say "not my job, get a minion to do it"
I`d most likely be dead or close to it if it wasn't for NHS staff but I must say I did not see anyone killing themselves with work when I was a regular hospital patient , I cant fault the service I received .

They've lost my missus for starters. Staff nurse with 42 years experience. She has gone 6 years early. Went off with stress towards the end of last year and left at the end of January. She was hoping to do at least another couple of years but just couldn't hack the constant shite conditions. From what she's told me, she isn't the only one on (what was) her unit to be aiming for the door either.

NHS staff may want to leave but where will they go? , the private sector only has so many vacancies.
They will retire if they are old enough, as many of them are over 55 or close to it that they don't need to hang on much longer.

They will retire if they are old enough, as many of them are over 55 or close to it that they don't need to hang on much longer.
That would happen anyway, most who can retire young seem to do so what ever industry.

my own experience is totally the opposite,, it`s the degree level nurses who turn their noses up and say "not my job, get a minion to do it"
My missus's experience with the younger end would tend to confirm that. The new ones don't have the same work ethic. There also aren't that many of them. Just as the demographic time bomb is about to hit many industries, so it is about to hit nursing.

Top tip - try not to get hospitalised?

That would happen anyway, most who can retire young seem to do so what ever industry.
Nope, not in nursing, they tend to hang around a bit, at least according to SWMBO. Or they used to.

Latest Threads