PAYD CATTERICK GARRISON

Only slightly related.
Last year I was at Bicester for a week and the standard of PAYD was sh1te so grabbed the contractors manager and asked WTF the score was serving sh!te food and sh1te portions. After his intial shock at being quizzed by anyone about what he was doing he ended up being quite useful in showing what cr4p the MoD signed up to. The portion size was in the contract (for example a piece of chicken was in the contract to be 150 grams incl skin and bone) but after all the the waffle was open that the aim was to remove the Core Menu as there was no profit in it. He seemed very open and implied that the MoD was on side with their aim, all it needed was to get everywhere on PAYD and then after a short soak period remove the core menu. The thought being that most will have made the adjustment away from DMR and then would now be open to paying more.
Still got served sh!t4 portions though! Imformative yes, resolve the issue no!

I have and do use this new cookhouse. I find the place alright, whilst theres no core meal anymore, I think the standard of all the meals have gone up. Im more than happy to pay a little extra for better quality products (evening meal times for a massive dinner and a fat lads pud £2.50 on average, not exactly breaking the bank).

What I try and remember is, going to anywhere else would be far more expensive (tesco for example, it isnt exactly Gordon Ramsey either).

Im not trying to big up sodexho, but it is the best of what weve got, the only way to beat it that I can see is to buy and cook your own, providing you have the facilities that is (Unfortunately I dont).

But thats half the problem Smudge you can eat far better (heathier for starters) cheaper by cooking for yourself its just that the CoC are still stuck in the dark ages and won't let us cook our own food hiding behind H&S.

There was a letter in last months soldier from a Cpl in my unit asking why even after lads have been out and bought our own electric oven (worktop type) and electric rings (again plug in stand alone ones like they have but never use in the cookhouse) and asked for fire blankets to be provided we're still told we're not allowed to cook our own scoff.
At one inspection earlier in the year we were told the reason we can't have these bits of equipment as we might leave them on and burn the block down even though the socket their plugged into is on a 20 min push timer (bit like the ones for stairway lights in some flats).

The Brig's answer was something along the lines of PAYD wasn't intended to give us the choice of eating in the cookhouse or not. Soldier even took the urine by including a small cartoon showing a block with smoke billowing (sp?) out of the window and two (I presume officers stood at the bottom) saying "look's like Cpl ******** is using his deep fat frier again" - Thanks for that! We've never asked for anything like a chip frier just the same facilities that are available in the SLAM accomodation in Catterick. A hob ring to boil pasta/rice etc and an oven to cook chicken breast's and salmon fillets, its just that we've gone out and paid for them out our own pockets.

The Core meal is still available in the cookhouse here but the standard is rwonk and is never what you'd call healthy - not the chef's fault they can only work with the crap provided to them by Sodexo. And if you don't fancy the core meal then tho £2.50 option is nearly always a burger or pizza and french fries. Bodies a temple and all that.......

baby_g said:
Fallschirmjager said:
DesktopCommando said:
put this forward in Soldier Magazine to the Brig
Soldier mag is a fucking joke. It's mostly spin by the MoD.
The man speak's sense!
The man can also spell.

I suppose it becomes of being a fan of Nottingham Forest.

Smudge-Rare-Name said:
I have and do use this new cookhouse. I find the place alright, whilst theres no core meal anymore, I think the standard of all the meals have gone up. Im more than happy to pay a little extra for better quality products (evening meal times for a massive dinner and a fat lads pud £2.50 on average, not exactly breaking the bank).

What I try and remember is, going to anywhere else would be far more expensive (tesco for example, it isnt exactly Gordon Ramsey either).

Im not trying to big up sodexho, but it is the best of what weve got, the only way to beat it that I can see is to buy and cook your own, providing you have the facilities that is (Unfortunately I dont).
Hang on, tell me again why you don't have "Core Meal"?
£1.63 for soup, a main meal and a pudding? You are getting robbed, and in a bad way. I pay that in the mess, or the cookhouse. Why no Core Meal?

baby_g said:
Come on Snail which one are you a Ram or a Fox?
Sweetcheeks, I am Red through and through, just not your red.

I'm more Emlyn than Pierre.

I had a blip when I was married:

"Do you, Dale, take Mr Dale to be your married husband and support Nottingham Forest for the rest of your life?"

My dad nodded, so I agreed. (He just wanted to get rid of me).

Fortunately I dumped both of them at the same time. (The husband and Nottingham Forest).

Nigel Clough would still get it though. :wink: :wink:

baby_g said:
But thats half the problem Smudge you can eat far better (heathier for starters) cheaper by cooking for yourself its just that the CoC are still stuck in the dark ages and won't let us cook our own food hiding behind H&S.

There was a letter in last months soldier from a Cpl in my unit asking why even after lads have been out and bought our own electric oven (worktop type) and electric rings (again plug in stand alone ones like they have but never use in the cookhouse) and asked for fire blankets to be provided we're still told we're not allowed to cook our own scoff.
At one inspection earlier in the year we were told the reason we can't have these bits of equipment as we might leave them on and burn the block down even though the socket their plugged into is on a 20 min push timer (bit like the ones for stairway lights in some flats).

The Brig's answer was something along the lines of PAYD wasn't intended to give us the choice of eating in the cookhouse or not. Soldier even took the urine by including a small cartoon showing a block with smoke billowing (sp?) out of the window and two (I presume officers stood at the bottom) saying "look's like Cpl ******** is using his deep fat frier again" - Thanks for that! We've never asked for anything like a chip frier just the same facilities that are available in the SLAM accomodation in Catterick. A hob ring to boil pasta/rice etc and an oven to cook chicken breast's and salmon fillets, its just that we've gone out and paid for them out our own pockets.

The Core meal is still available in the cookhouse here but the standard is rwonk and is never what you'd call healthy - not the chef's fault they can only work with the crap provided to them by Sodexo. And if you don't fancy the core meal then tho £2.50 option is nearly always a burger or pizza and french fries. Bodies a temple and all that.......
A very good point baby g.

Why arnt we allowed to cook in the block? I agree that we should be allowed.

They only thing I can say about it is Small steps mate.

The Army (this is just my opinion so please dont jump all over me) doesnt like too much change at once. Give it time, the hiarchy need time to adapt, also how do you think sodexho would react when they found out people were openly allowed to do this, helmets would have to be worn due to the amount of teddies that would be in the air, look at what they were like with other bars that were on a camp, im not saying they are monoploising but business is a lot easier without any competition!!

Again it comes down to making the most of what we have got.

blackratcatterick said:
Here in Catterick a brand new Junior Ranks Combined Cook House has been built to provide meals for 5 units, it is run by a contractor, but for some reason Core meals are no longer available.

I now have to pay £2.40 for a roast chicken dinner, when my troop Sgt can have the same meal(Core) in the Sgts Mess for £1.68 and his meal includes soup and dessert.

Can some one please tell me why this is being allowed to happen! The junior ranks appear to be getting ripped off by the contractor, but what a surpirise the Off's and SNCO's aren't.
I think you'll find the Seniors and Officers are paying the same rate. The issue in Catterick isn't the lack of core meals, its the fact that 2 Div have closed down 2 cookhouses in order to provide this mega trough centre. Thanks to this "smart" decision, anyone working in the old Hospital are forced out of the pAYD system over the road to Subways. Foot, shot yourselves in, one of.

I have seen the new Richmond Centre in Catterick and after asking a few questions it has become apparent that although the contractor are rubbing their hands together because they no longer have to serve a loss making core meal, it is not a decision they made. The contractor just agreed to provide a service requested by the Authority (MOD, Catt Gar Comd). The aspiration was to provide at least two enhanced meals a day still within the parameters of the Daily Food Charge (Currently £4.01 I think). As already mentioned this is clearly not the case. The portion sizes haven't drastically changed and now we have to pay for soup and desserts. It is possible to purchase a lunch and dinner within the £4.00 limit but that would not include a piece of fruit or dessert and would be at the cheaper end of the scale of the meals provided.

Whilst I feel the facility is a vast improvement for us and is a pleasant place to dine the contractor has no overheads regarding utility costs or staffing (completely staffed by very unhappy military chefs) so the fact that a bowl of soup has suddenly gone up from 50p to 75p and a sponge pudding that costs about 15p to make is now 60p it totally unacceptable.

I know that the Bde FS staff and individual unit RCWO's have raised these issues to the higher CoC and are waiting for responses.

As has been mentioned previously if you're not happy then speak up at messing meetings or fill in a comments card, they do get looked at by both the contractor and authority.

KJ

When I was in, food came out of our monthly wage so I have no idea really how this PAYD works.

So without stating the obvious.....

how does it work and what do you get for your money??

works like any other cafe - walk in, get food from hotplate, queue for the till while your food goes cold, pay, eat cold food.

What you get - not alot. They have 2 'core' options in our cookhouse at each meal that will cost you the messing rate if you eat all 3 meals.

Breakfast - 6 items from list but no more than 2 of any one choice and no more than 3 protein items.

Lunch - 1 x meat/pasta, potato & 2 x veg or 2 x sarnie

Dinner - Soup. 1 x meat, potato & 2 x veg. Dessert

Not been in the cookhouse for a while because the quality of the food is so low but thats not far off your allocation. There is also a £2.50 option at lunch and tea where you can get a pizza/burger/bratty with french fries and a can of pop.

baby_g said:
won't let us cook our own food hiding behind H&S.
Fcuk them, they're screwing you over on behalf of liars and profiteers

The blokes in my Block have been been totally self-catering since Christamas. Fortunatley no fuss has been made but we are quite prepared to hide food and appliances in our rooms/cars. (Edit: Between use that is!) At the end of the day they cant supervise you 24/7.

I wouldnt have a problem eating in the PAYD cookhouse if it was run to feed soldiers decent food at minimal cost. Unfortunatley that is not the caes where I am. Most of the budget seems to be spent at lunchtimes to attract the legion of civilan staff on camp who subsequently clean the place out.....it even opens at 12:00 in order to get them all in to spend their pennies as no Unit on camp has lunchtime before 12:30!

Despite repeated complaints and mess meetings the situation has not improved. Consequently as a knock on effect dinners are woeful as there doesnt appear to be much budget left to spend , I swear Ive never eaten such horrible slop in my life.

Its simple, don't eat in the Cookhouse, a total boycott is the way forward.

baby_g said:
we play the game mate but we shouldn't have to
No you shouldnt! My advice is dont, just keep the place clean and your kit locked away during working hours/inspections.

H&S My arrse, they're describing things that could happen in any private home, student digs or restaurant! Do pads have to bring their family to eat in the Cookhouse cos its a H&S risk to let them cook at home? Do married Quarters not have ovens in the kitchens?

Its total fcuking rubbish, Im a 27 year old, Im perfectly capable of cooking without killing the entire block! Aparently its 2009 but Im not so sure.........

Fallschirmjager said:
DesktopCommando said:
put this forward in Soldier Magazine to the Brig
Soldier mag is a fucking joke. It's mostly spin by the MoD.
I am reminded of the King and Country mag from Black Adder, Soldier just smears the shite around though. :(

I do seem to recall a letter not too long back when a soldier was enquiring about cooking in the block over using the PAYD facilities only to be shot down in the response claiming PAYD is now not about giving the solder a choice. It's funny because on the briefs when they were first introducing PAYD the word choice kept coming up a lot. Now it seems to be a case of PAYD is there and you will bloody well use it or go hungry.

Edit: Already seems to have been covered a few posts above me! :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Army Pay, Claims & JPA 0
short-fuse Weapons, Equipment & Rations 7
lynxeffectLOL! Aviation 10