Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Everyone seems to mope about how much we're paid for "going out on the front line", civvies seem to stand behind that fact whether we're TA or regs "oh you wear the uniform fair play to you fighting for us blah blah blah".

I'm not being funny fellas, but as TA I couldn't give 2 hoots about what I'm paid, only goes on beer tokens anyway.

We're all in different trade brackets, what do you think is fair pay for what you do?

Not being funny but Infantry isn't exactly hard anyway, so why should someone be entitled to higher pay for a p1ss easy job that anyone with common sense can do anyway?

As a side note, I know quite a few lads who've left over the pay anyway and I know a few who are happy, one lad who was RLC 2 tours and hes gone (has a baby boy), one commando engineer one tour in afghan hes already handed his papars in, one signaller whose had postings in germany and iraq and afghan hes got a baby girl whose hes happy, where do you stand on money matters for what we do?

2. Throughout my TA career, I've never taken much interest in my rate of pay. I wasn't my reason for joining and it's not my reason for staying in.

You need to look at the extremes. Would you do it for nothing? I suspect that a fair few would. But the trouble with doing it for nothing is that you'd gripe about doing so and feel undervalued.

The other reasonable extreme is that you'd be paid at a rate equivalent to what a civvy would get for doing a similar job. In that respect my Army pay is a reasonable equivalent to my civvy pay - the two jobs are not greatly different. Having said that, the more junior members of my unit still have a long way to go before their Army pay reaches the rate that is commensurate with the jobs that they do - though the reality is that the unit uses them according to their ability rather than their rank, so they'll remain underpaid until they work through the system.

Obviously, the upper extreme will vary according to the type of unit and many Army trades don't have a direct civilian equivalent, so it's difficult to compare value. At the end of our Annual Camp, we look at what we've achieved and calculate what it would have cost to bring in civvy consultants to do the same work. We deduct our wages and other costs to assess what we have saved the MoD. Usually it's more than enough to cover our annual training costs, bounties and still leave a tidy profit. OK, it's not going in our pockets, but it still leaves us with a chuffedness that we represent a financial inflow into the Defence Budget rather than a drain.

Now, looking at your side of things, as an infantry soldier, you probably don't have even a remote civvy equivalent. Hiding-in-fields-and-being-aggressive is not on the list of civvy jobs at the Jobcentre. Being able to produce a jagged perforation in plywood from a distance of several hundred metres isn't much in demand either. So there isn't a benchmark to determine a comparable rate of pay. It can only be set at a value where recruitment and wastage (I mean that in the nicest possible way) balance. In its simplest terms, pay too low and you don't have enough soldiers; pay too high and you end up with an ageing Army due to the absence of vacancies for recruits.

3. In spite of your 'avatars' are you both perchance in the HAC.. :)

4. As Ta does the money matter? Depends what your "proper" job is if your a hard up student or a minimum wage type i should say yes, if your earning more than the Colonel i doubt your doing it for the mortgage.
    This is one of those things that really separates Regulars and Ta.

5. im not serving yet but the pay is crap but people dont sign up for money. Did you know rubbish men get paid average 22k if your a driver 27k. for the hazard of picking up black bags and bins while soldier's lose limbs and lives in afghanistan. Oh yeah did i mention they are on strike in leeds again on full pay. Try to justify this PLEASE.

6. My father in law is a bin lorry driver hes on less than £20k a yr and your just making shoite up or u read in a newspaper. And i belive their going on strike because their taking a £5k a yr pay cut.

7. if u are not in the forces you have no right to enter anything on this thread.

i joined at 16 for the pension and lump sum plus a trade and pensionable at 40.

I have served all my time in BFG on tax free living and LOA subsidised fuel and no road tax

I take the rough with the smooth, tours etc are just perks of the job

where else can a middle aged man shoot at people legally and get paid fir it in the UK?

8. In my humble opinion, it all boils down to what your motivation is. For instance, I joined up as I knew if I didn't leave the area I lived in I might very well end up in the same situation as my school mates - in bloody jail.

I found it to be an escape from low job prospects, a chance to train and gain a trade (as I couldn't get onto an apprenticeship) and earn some honest money. It also gave me some self respect and respect for others.

I spent my years doing courses at the AEC (and adventurous), improving myself, courses which may have cost an awful lot of money otherwise.

The pay wasn’t great but it was topped up with LOA or NI pay and I managed to have a better life than some of my civilian mates. Whenever I went back home with a pocket full of cash stored up from months of no spending in NI, do you think my old mates at home could afford to go on the lash half as often as we did? The holidays and foreign travel also broadened my outlook on life.

The Army provided me with an increased portfolio of transferable skills, qualifications both academic and vocational which enabled me to study further and higher education which consequently provided me with a decent living.

I had a great many good mates in the Army; many of whom joined because they were in similar situations at home, no prospects!!

I’m not saying your motivation is the same, perhaps you are all highly educated and had/have good employment prospects but for some of us this escapism was a valuable opportunity to better ourselves whilst doing (at times I must admit) a valuable job.

I also firmly believe that our brave soldiers are doing a thankless job and doubling their pay would not be nearly enough when on active duty.

Those wounded who have small payments made by pen pushers and accountants are who I feel we are failing, they need the attention of the media, perhaps Joanna Lumley could do for them as she did for the Gurkhas.

As for the TA, they do a good job backing up our stretched regulars; they take some of the pressure off.

At the end of the day, you can all count, you knew the pay scales, you still volunteered, you were not pressed.

10. As this is nothing more than a gripe why is it here and not in the NAAFI?