Pay rise for MPs? Just say no...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Legallybald, May 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No MP Salary Increase - e-petitions
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I'd give them a 100% pay rise & just bin their expenses' entitlements.
  3. Absolutely

There's too much frothing at the mouth over MP's basic pay, when in real terms it's quite paltry in terms of the work and responsibilities (some not all) of them have. To be fair, I'd probably fiddle my expenses if I got just £65,738 for doing some of the shit they do
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Trouble is that in 10 years they'd forget that and start complaining about how difficult it is to run 2 houses, live away from home and so on and start asking for expenses. Personally I'd pay them more, with expenses, but chop the number.
  5. Signed!
  6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Why? You don't live in Britain and you don't pay taxes here. What business is it of yours?
  7. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

hmm that might be an idea - cap the spending but allow the numbers to change. then start merging labour wards into one as they allways vote the same so no point having so many votes :)
  8. I got the same pay rise somebody on welfare. I believe 1% is fashionable right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I do pay British income tax on my British income and German income tax on my German income, so I feel I have a right to my opinion in both states, now do one!
    • Like Like x 2
  10. What responsibilities does a backbencher have?

Ministers who have responsibilities are paid (often significantly) more for having them. An MPs basic salary puts him / her just below the on-appointment rate for a Lieutenant Colonel. About right I'd say.

Expenses are a separate issue, but business expenses are a source of jealousy and misunderstanding everywhere. They should be reimbursed for all expenses incurred relating to their duty, but not rewarded by their expenses. Housing is the big one here.
  11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

agreed they should have built an MPs patch years ago with normal houses in then ministerial residences where required. those with private incomes could opt out. their real house is after all supposed to be in the constituency and they can make money off that. I'd have hoped they would have reused some of the athletes village from last year to set up such a thing as a water taxi service to westminster would be cheap and easy to sort out.

issue a blanket family rail warrant/bus pass for general travel and a subsidised works canteen which they have allready..

in the 80s you would have 4 MPs from mixed parties house/flat sharing and they seemed happy enough.

you can issue a uniform as well - orange jumpsuit seems appropriate.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I haven't had a pay rise for over 2 years, instigated by them.
    So why should they have one.
    • Like Like x 3
  13. I quite like the argument that other jobs pay more. Except of course most MPs are unemployable on their current T&C at their current pay scales. Consider these questions;

1) Would anyone have heard of the barrister Blair? Would he be a multi millionaire on the back of his legal work?

2) Would Brown still be in employment with his work attendance?

3) Would Cameron/Clegg still be on contract after lying about the tender they put in to get the job?

4) How many jobs are as hard to get sacked from for gross incompetence, stupidity, or laziness outside of the upper reaches of the public sector?

5) How many MPs would get anywhere NEAR the screw they're on at the HoC, or indeed still be employed in the private sector with their record of falsifying expenses, failing to turn up to work, drinking to excess whilst on duty, taking gifts and sweeteners from interested parties. How many firms employ people who routinely moonlight at other lucrative jobs, remember the furore over coppers, firemen and the like having second jobs?

My conclusion is that if they get a £200-£400 a week pay rise it means that an MP is a job for money like any other, nothing to do with serving your country or the rest of the claptrap they trot out when cornered. As such all the priveleges that they have garnered over the years should be scrapped other than H&S.

So give it to them and reduce the headcount to match up with the pro rata MP to population such as the US has.

I don't like the useless wazzocks in case you were wondering.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I have no problem with MP's getting the same pay rises they force on the rest of the Public Sector. If they want more then they should accept the need for reform and cut the number of representatives in both Houses.