Pay Review 2004

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Soldier_Why, Feb 12, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Because I could only find it in PDF format, I have copied the new pay scales and put them in HTML for all to see:

http://www.soldierwhy.com/payrates.html

I still think 2.8% is a fcuking insult though! :cry: :evil:

2. Yippee pay is up 2.8% How much will quarter charges and food and accom charges go up? I've know people have less money each month after a 'pay rise' before!

FFS.... :(

More ammunition I suppose...

4. What the hell are they playing at? The higher rises are at the higher end of the scale! Those at the bottom get the lowest! The junior-ranking guys (and gals) tend to take the most crap and this should be recognised.

Coming from an anonymous junior officer (soon to be "Mr" in the proper sense), this may be a display of a dangerous and inappropriate level of altruism!

I await the revised quartering charges and rates of allowances with interest.

If you offer peanuts you get monkeys.... :twisted:

5. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Mr PVR - did you do percentages at school?

6. Did I do percentages at school? Absolutely!

My point is that an extra £4-£6 per day would be noticed more in a smaller pay packet than in a larger one - this will sadly never happen as the numbers that get paid less are greater than those that get paid more and the overall bill would be larger.

I did my sums and worked out that 25% of my extra dosh is wiped out by a 4.7% and 26% increase in FQ and garaging charges respectively. Hmm, they haven't improved noticeably....... :twisted:

7. Not the best eh, but theres not really anything that can be done :cry: :evil:

8. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

I agree MrPVR that a higher percentage increase in charges than the percentage increase in pay is a real pisser, but sadly it has been happening every year since about 1979. The pay spods wil tell us that it is a slow process of getting rid of what was called 'the military salary' in the 60's when the Services were paid f*** all but pretty much everything else was virtually free. It is the down side of the AFPRB trying to compare us to 'civilian equivalents' (whatever they are)

What I would say though is that much as we malign the salary I suspect that when you leave the Service your 'FQ' charge will be a f*** of a lot more than you pay now (although you won't have to live in Osnabruk in something painted magnolia!)

9. I agree with Chimera, who are these civilian equivalents. As far as I am aware in every other job where you have to spend months away from home in a shitty environment you get paid a fortune. The Oil Rigs are a classic example.

Perhaps instead they should compare us with our true civilian equivalents, the mercenaries (oops security firm employees!) currently in Iraq taking home in excess of £100,000 a year.

10. The reason why we got another poxy pay rise is probably down to the fact that any spare cash in the system went to the Firemen. This is only fair seeing as they have all probably got lots of outstanding bills from the big holidays they took while the forces were doing their F*%$ing jobs for them for half the year.

It also tickles me when we read about the civilian equivelances that are so often refered to in the AFPRB reports. I note that in this years report they stated that civlian pay rises over the last 12 months had averaged between 3.6% to 4.5% - no sign of them thinking equivalence when dishing our pile of crap out !

Gets back on track a few pages later though when they start on about getting our garage charges up 22% over the next 3 years (Bless Them).

When they finally get us to the stage where we are paying the same as our civilian counterparts - will we get the same tennants rights for some of theses slums they shove us in!

11. Although the increase is above inflation (always a bonus) it is still probably the smallest there has been in quite a number of years. But a large increase certainly wasnt on the cards with the 'cost saving' (MOD's words) early release scheme for those who have run out dates prior to the 30th Sep 04. That and capped recruitment probably means there are hard times ahead.

12. My (admittedly crap) equation is as follows:

Output = Personnel effort x resources x time.

We're too busy and under resourced and the output demanded is always increasing. The personnel effort part is the only one that will be increased! This is why I am looking forward to my promotion to the rank of "Mr"! :twisted:

13. Didn't the fireman get 12%. Not good. I know Yosser has already bought that out, but how come they do four on, four off, have second jobs and get the increase :evil:

I think the Treasury need to sort out there priorities. Do they need firemen who strike at any opportunity, whing and tick, or do they want people who just get on with the Job and not strike (cos we can't) - nice one govt :cry:

The looser firemen live at home, get loans to buy their own houses, sleep on the job when they aren't doing it. We get to go to sh*t parts of the world, put our lives in real danger every minute of the day and get a below civilian pay rise for it.

Who gets the best deal??

14. No goat, - they didn't get 12% and are now being seriously fcuked over (many would say not before time) by the government it what is termed modernisation.

Be careful what you wish for, - it might come true!!