Pay Question

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Ray_Of_Johno, Feb 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am looking to join the army and have been told that people have been turned down at the selection stage for having to much debt.
    What is an acceptable and and non acceptable amount of debt to have?

Also if i were to be accepted i understand that whilst in basic training you are given a percentage of you wage and then the rest when you finish, is this correct and how much do you receive a month or a week?

Many thanks for any advice posted in response to this query.

And appologies if this is posted in the wrong area but i was unsure where to put it.

2. you get 40-£60 a week cash in hand the 1st 6 weeks

as long as your payments for ya debts are of a manageable standard i dont think it'll be too much of a problem

3. as long as you let people know about your problems before you start up it should be fine. i joined the army with a phone contract, but with not getting paid for 2 months Orange werent to impressed about me not paying, got taken to court, which i missed, being away from home an all, didnt get my letters. but as soon as i told my platoon staff they helped me out. at the end of the day they are there to help you and idealy make you stick to it.

4. Go to the Forum page and search for "debt". A recent poster quoted maximum payments of £245/mth as the cut-off point but I have no idea if that is true. Talk to your ACIO; they will have the latest figures.

I wasn't aware that only part of your wages are paid out during training, but I can see that it would be a sensible way of starting soldiers on a sensible budgeting routine.... in other words, don't blow all your month's wages on the first weekend! Talk to the ACIO.

If you go to this document:

AFPRB 2006

you can work out your starting salary and deductions for food and accommodation. Tax and NI are about 25% of your salary. Alternatively, your ACIO will be able to give you all the figures.

Litotes