Pay our soldiers more

smudge67 said:
All_Torque said:
Smudge, you're an IT contractor and only on 60K a year, you can't be a very good one then, certainly you're not a well paid one by a long way. ;)

But why do you have such a problem with squaddies wanting better pay?
I've only been doing this for 4 years, so it's not bad. I'm not complaining anyhow.

I don't have a problem with anyone wanting better pay.....what with the extortionate housing/living costs in the UK at the moment.

I made a comment about the "10k" figure that was banded about. Unaware that a seminar/discussion was had, and that was what it would take to get pay in line with the provate sector. If that's the case, then there's no harm in trying to achieve that sum. I can't see a thread on ARRSE helping though?

More direct action would be necessary. I'm not convinced that a petition would bear any fruit either?

As a soldier you're limited to your options though. No strikes/union etc. What options are avaiable?
Smudger you little tinker of a liar - that is not all you said is it? Re-read your first post and either

a. Apologise

or

b. Explain your thoughts in more detail

Did you just say "little tinker"?? ;)

I shall do neither, as you're boring me now. Are you going to add something constructive to this thread?

My comments were made before I was made aware of this 10k debate, which I understand now. Unless I was in that discussion board how would I, or anyone, else know about that? I do now. I have no qualms in asking questions to further my knowledge of a situation.

The important thing is....if soldiers are due a 10k payrise to come in to line with the private sector how can it be achieved?

smudge67 said:
10k across the board? Don't be so bloody stupid!

When I was in I earned a good wage compared to a lot of civvys I knew, and when I left the Army I took a pay cut.

I wonder if there was a lot of "pay squaddies more" duting the 1st/2nd world wars? I doubt it.

Grow up. If you don't like the operational tempo....sign off. Some people signed on in the hope of seeing some action, I loved op tours. If it's too hot in the kitchen etc.
What is wrong with with the forces today?? Everyone's complaining!!
No A-HOLE, you didn't just question a £10k rise, you insulted ALL current serving soldiers. An apology is due or are you too 'rich and powerful' now you are in your (bragged about) £60k job?

Daytona955 said:
smudge67 said:
10k across the board? Don't be so bloody stupid!

When I was in I earned a good wage compared to a lot of civvys I knew, and when I left the Army I took a pay cut.

I wonder if there was a lot of "pay squaddies more" duting the 1st/2nd world wars? I doubt it.

Grow up. If you don't like the operational tempo....sign off. Some people signed on in the hope of seeing some action, I loved op tours. If it's too hot in the kitchen etc.
What is wrong with with the forces today?? Everyone's complaining!!
No A-HOLE, you didn't just question a £10k rise, you insulted ALL current serving soldiers. An apology is due or are you too 'rich and powerful' now you are in your (bragged about) £60k job?
A-HOLE? How old are you? 13? 60k may be "rich and powerful" to you?!? But not in the real world! Grow up. If that offended you then I suggest you go and play on miniclip.com with the other prepubescent teens.

Lol, YOU were the one bragging about your BIG wages (you really can't recognise sarcasm can you)

You are not big enough to admit you were out of line slagging soldiers off without reading the facts and doing a bit of research first.

People like you, the thicketts of todays society with nothing better to do than run soldiers down make me sick. Even worse, you refuse to apologise when it has plainly been pointed out to you that you were very wrong in your childish ranting post.

How old am I? However old I am you are still a self evident A-HOLE

Dry your eyes princess. I wasn't slagging all soldiers off.....you....yes.....because you're a wining little bitch.

elovabloke

ADC
heard_it_all_before said:
That's an easy one to deal with.... Stick all the whinging public sector cnuts on a jumbo and fly them out to Iraq for 3 months followed by another 3 months in Afghan. Then see if they have anything else to whinge about. Maybe shoot a few on the way out just to set the scene...
I presume you have first hand details of a lot of public sector salaries. There are a lot of carers/cleaners/dinner ladies/admin staff etc who are on a lot lower pay than many on here.

PS I presume you are aware that the armed forces are within the public sector and many are taking up seats already.

smudge67 said:
Dry your eyes princess. I wasn't slagging all soldiers off.....you....yes.....because you're a wining little bitch.
You dork - what makes you think I am a soldier? Grow up, act your age and apologise for being a total f*k-wit

Daytona955 said:
smudge67 said:
You dork - what makes you think I am a soldier? Grow up, act your age and apologise for being a total f*k-wit
I didn't presume that you were a soldier.....where does it say that I think that you're a squaddie?

I hope that you're not a soldier!! If you were in my section you'd have got a shoeing by now for being a pansy!

Get a fookin room you two.

Well I've been trying to get the thread back on track...numerous times.....but Daytona has an issue with my wages. Bless him.

So....what can be done to get the whole of the Army a payrise of sorts?

W

wevers

Nothing short of a mass tools down...Unfortunately this is never going to happen as there is far to much professionalism within the forces (Ironic really as this is what we want recognition for).........Maybe we should all stand outside our camps around burning oil drums just like the fire brigade did with a "honk if you think we're underpaid sign"......It aint gonna happen is it....Like I said there is too much professionlism and integrity in the forces and the lads n lasses would work for nothin if that was what was required (although I'm not sure how long for)

elovabloke

ADC
smudge67 said:
That will depend on if you want public support or not.

Very many of those, now us, civvy gits will be on a wage as low if not lower than the lower paid of the armed forces. Ok I know that circumstances are different and the dangers for many service personnel are real. However a very clever spin on paying bonuses for active service and inducements (from what I hear quite big ones) for staying in, will get your average civvy very green eyed.

wevers said:
Nothing short of a mass tools down...Unfortunately this is never going to happen as there is far to much professionalism within the forces (Ironic really as this is what we want recognition for).........Maybe we should all stand outside our camps around burning oil drums just like the fire brigade did with a "honk if you think we're underpaid sign"......It aint gonna happen is it....Like I said there is too much professionlism and integrity in the forces and the lads n lasses would work for nothin if that was what was required (although I'm not sure how long for)
As I mentioned before.....no Union....no option to strike. I can't see it happening...as you said....too professional for that to occur.

elovabloke said:
smudge67 said:
That will depend on if you want public support or not.

Very many of those, now us, civvy gits will be on a wage as low if not lower than the lower paid of the armed forces. Ok I know that circumstances or different and the dangers for many service personnel are real. However a very clever spin on paying bonuses for active service and inducements (from what I hear quite big ones) for staying in, will get your average civvy very green eyed.
Surely that can't be true?!?! As previously posted by many other idiots on this thread it is nearly impossible to get paid less than a soldier?!?! (yes...I am being sarcastic) ;)

elovabloke

ADC
smudge67 said:
Surely that can't be true?!?! As previously posted by many other idiots on this thread it is nearly impossible to get paid less than a soldier?!?! (yes...I am being sarcastic) ;)
When you leave you find (If like me you were there a while) you have been shielded from parts of the real world.

And a lot of that has to do with wages. The fact that the average salary is said to be around the £23,000 mark does not actually mean that everyone is on it, and families are not running around with 2.4 kids either.

Most people in my part of the world would snap your hand off for £15,000.

I am tempted to post during my Mr Angry days “If you don’t like it LEAVE” however I believe something does need doing but with a country that cannot afford a cup of coffee at the moment chances are slim for all in the public sector.

I agree - squaddies should get paid more.

I had to buy my brother a plane ticket back to Germany two weeks ago and buy him one to get back to England yesterday and then had to pick him up from Brum airport at 12.30 last night 'because he had no money'.

He earns more than me FFS and I have a house to keep up! he seems to just urine his wages away against a wall - old enough to go to Afghan but to young to look after himself...

elovabloke said:
smudge67 said:
When you leave you find (If like me you were there a while) you have been shielded from parts of the real world.

And a lot of that has to do with wages. The fact that the average salary is said to be around the £23,000 mark does not actually mean that everyone is on it, and families are not running around with 2.4 kids either.

Most people in my part of the world would snap your hand off for £15,000.

I am tempted to post during my Mr Angry days “If you don’t like it LEAVE” however I believe something does need doing but with a country that cannot afford a cup of coffee at the moment chances are slim for all in the public sector.
I left and worked for free for my 1st 6 weeks out in civvy st, because I was still getting paid by the Army. Luckily a mate of mine got me the free work at an investment bank in the city. I knew that without something on my CV, as I was new to IT, I'd have no chance getting a job.

Having "worked for free" on my CV got me my 1st interview, and I accepted a job at 19k. 4 years later, I'm doing well for myself, through training myself, and putting some hard graft in.

I joined at 17.5 years, and had no idea about civvy st when I left. I was suprised at how little some jobs get paid for what they are.

gentleman_bastard said:
I agree - squaddies should get paid more.

I had to buy my brother a plane ticket back to Germany two weeks ago and buy him one to get back to England yesterday and then had to pick him up from Brum airport at 12.30 last night 'because he had no money'.

He earns more than me FFS and I have a house to keep up! he seems to just urine his wages away against a wall - old enough to go to Afghan but to young to look after himself...
Sounds like me when I was younger! I used to come back from op tours with around 8k in my bank, and spunked it all away. Hind sight and all that.

10k across the board is a bit much though. To use my brother as an example, hea earns approx 21k as a lance-jack (I think - correct me if I'm wrong). He is 20 so 21k isn't a bad wage anyway....

If his salery got put up by 10k then he would be on 31k at the age of 20. Now obviously that would give a boost to the ecopnomy with all that extra cash going on beer, beer and beer.

As a taxpayer though (I'll be unpopular for saying this) if that happened then I would want service personal to stop getting subsidised accomadation, food etc. Make them pay the market rate. I mean 26k for a private out of training - that to me is a bit much considering that in many cases 6 months ago that private would have been 17 and joing with no qualifications...

Be gentle chaps.

Latest Threads