Pay increments and promotion

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Blodders, Mar 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OK, as I understand it, on promotion, you must get a pay increase of at least 2% (not sure why I think that, but I do).

My situation is that I will be promoted to WO2 later this year on the anniversary of my promotion to SSgt (ie my increment date).

So, do I get my increment at (say) 0800hrs followed by a promotion at (say) 0830hrs, thus requiring to go up another increment to satisfy the 2% thing? Or do I get stiffed and only get the one increment?

2. Your going to get stiffed I'm afraid. Your right in that you get your 2 % pay rise minimum from Ssgt to WO2, but because you never actually got your next annual increment as a Ssgt they will just move you up to WO2. JPA will show you as promoted on that date and your increment will be reset to the new rank. This is what happened to me anyway.

3. I'm almost in the same boat but looks like I have gotten away with it thanks to a 22 day gap between my Increment date and LTA. Doesn't help you of course but I'm pretty happy :D

4. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

You could always write to promotions in Glasgow and ask them to hold of promoting you until the day after your increment date. If your CoC is happy to keep you in the previous rank until that point then you may be lucky otherwise I do believe its tough shit. If you dont like it get out... Call the Padre etc etc. Usual IIP type of military way.

5. I have seen this done for several soldiers now. Last one was even done retrospectivly 2 months down the line. Not sure if it's a "not what you know but who you know" thing or not, but it certainly happens and sure as hell worth getting your CoC to at least ask.

6. Bit of both i think!! RCMO at my last unit managed to get 3 postings delayed until guys had had their latest increment,small corps though