Pay for your passport?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
If he wants to stay in the UK, then he has to obey the law. Simple

I'm sure Phil Woolarse MP, the Minister for such affairs will step in soon and resolve this issue.

L

Lizard_Lips

What's not fair about the army paying for your passport? Get an application form from your coy clerk, fill it in, hand it back hey presto new passport free of charge.

Legs said:
Sadly that's about the size of it. I don't particularly agree with the law (I believe that service in the British Army should mean automatic British citizenship in return) however as it stands then the law says that's what he has to do.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Legs said:
An answer every petty little bureaucrat in the country would be proud of.

I personally think that a "right to remain" should be the explicit state of affairs for anyone that has served the colours for a specified amount of time.

I think that 6 years might be the way forwards.

Sixty said:
Legs said:
An answer every petty little bureaucrat in the country would be proud of.
having read a bit of Legs's Blog, one would have thought she would be sympathetic to some rules being interpreted a bit flexibly, to take into account a person's perhaps somewhat unusual circumstances.

It's the law: fairness has nothing to do with it (nor justice for that matter).

The Romans had a good concept: they offered any barbarian or conquered tribesman the opportunity of serving with the Legions. Provided they served for 20 years (and survived) then they were automatically granted full Roman citizenship and given a plot of land large enough to build a home on and farm.

Worth resurrecting?

My tuppence is: is 6 years enough to earn citizenship? Not in my book (unless in that period he is awarded a first-tier gong), however forcing him to sit an "British-ness" test is stupid: service to the Crown with an honourable discharge should be enough to earn an exemption.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
There's also the fact that his wife is from the UK, he's got three kids and Scotland is under-populated. The UKBA is a joke and immigration should be a devolved matter.

From the Fijian High Commission web page

Passport application requirements and fees

Passport renewals and replacements are now being processed and issued only in Fiji. In this respect, Fiji passport holders are now required to send their completed applications directly to the address below either by courier or registered mail:

Registered Mail

The Director
Immigration Department
PO Box 2224
Government Buildings
Suva
FIJI
Courier Service

The Director
Immigration Department
3rd Floor, Suvavou House
Victoria Parade
Suva
FIJI
Applicants are to ensure that all relevant sections on their respective application forms are filled in correctly and that their left thumb print and specimen signature are set out properly in the accorded spaces. It is imperative that a person of good standing in the applicant’s community, preferably a Notary Public, witnesses the application and the three (3) required photographs for a normal application or six (6) for lost passports, which should be recent.

Further note that fees for passport renewals are F$72.00. Fees for the replacement of stolen or lost passports are F$180.00. For those Fiji nationals applying for replacement passports they are to submit a police report and a local newspaper advertisement notifying the loss of their passport together with their respective application forms.

Application fees must be drawn out in Banker’s Draft and made payable to the Director of Immigration. Local bank branches should be able to assist in this respect.
Can't see any need for a trip to Fiji or £1000 mentioned.

Still it is a story in the Daily Record aka 'greeting faced Scottish rag', so perhaps they've omitted some important detail.

C_C

Hmmmm serves in Iraq and Bosnia and then has to sit a "Life" test... seems to me he earned his passport already, unlike some others I could mention who ended up in Guantanamo Bay yet strangely dont seem to have immigration problems.. But thats this government... hates the army, loves terrorists.

Legs said:
Six years in the colours should be good enough, its more than most give. Why is it not good enough for you legs?

Hmmm.... on a slight tangent just went through the naturalisation process after 7 years of service, most of them overseas in Germany, 3 x Op tours. In order to satisfy the requirements I had to get an additional letter from my chain of command saying I was of good character and it was in the interests of the Crown to naturalise me. This was due the that fact that the BFPO service complicated my residency status and because I was recruited straight to a unit in Germany from my country of origin. Despite being told that BFPO service allegedly counted without issue.

By comparison I could have been on a sponsored work contract in UK for five years in a law firm and snorted coke every weekend and as long as I didn't get caught my application would have sailed through without this additional 'character' requirement.

I don't mind doing the life in the UK test but I did resent having to get an additional reference to 'prove' I was of good character. Foreign and Commonwealth officers and soldiers shouldn't have additional burdens placed on us if we seek citizenship.

Incidentally this law only changed a few years back. Previously we weren't allowed to apply for citizenship whilst serving. In any event they didn't change the rules on Indefinite Leave to Remain and last I checked F&C individuals still have to wait until 21 days before the last day of service to apply (anyone know if this has changed?). Makes resettlement a little tricky when your immigration status is so fluid. I think the UK can do a little better by F&C officers and soldiers having seen the rest of the EU dross we let in (see what I did there now I'm a dual national?).

InVinoVeritas said:
Hmmmm serves in Iraq and Bosnia and then has to sit a "Life" test... seems to me he earned his passport already, unlike some others I could mention who ended up in Guantanamo Bay yet strangely dont seem to have immigration problems.. But thats this government... hates the army, loves terrorists.
Yeah, bludy amazing, isn't it? I guess he just rubbed shoulders with the wrong crowd :x

A

ALVIN

"Give us £1300 if you want to stay in the U.K" sounds like Mafia talk from our very own Big Brother!

1......Sounds a bit funking steep, even extortionate for a rubber stamp!

2......Not one once of consideration for the special service that this bloke has given to the u.k. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

3......It is morally wrong for the state to accept foreign nationals into H.M Forces if it intends to "wash its hands" of them and offer NO BASIC privileges on completion of a honorable discharge from our Armed Forces.

Baring in mind that France offers Full French citizenship to members of the Foreign Legion on successful completion of service!!
So yes, under the circumstances i think that this man HAS been hard done by the state.