Pay for your passport?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by SoULWiz, Mar 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If he wants to stay in the UK, then he has to obey the law. Simple
  2. I'm sure Phil Woolarse MP, the Minister for such affairs will step in soon and resolve this issue.
  3. What's not fair about the army paying for your passport? Get an application form from your coy clerk, fill it in, hand it back hey presto new passport free of charge.
  4. Sadly that's about the size of it. I don't particularly agree with the law (I believe that service in the British Army should mean automatic British citizenship in return) however as it stands then the law says that's what he has to do.
  5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

An answer every petty little bureaucrat in the country would be proud of.
  6. It seems a bit steep that he has to fly back home to get a new passport. Why can't he renew it at the Fijian Embassy in London?
  7. I personally think that a "right to remain" should be the explicit state of affairs for anyone that has served the colours for a specified amount of time.

I think that 6 years might be the way forwards.
  8. Utter pish... straight from the mouth of a bloke who got his bollocks cut off.
  9. I was wondering exactly the same thing.

10. having read a bit of Legs's Blog, one would have thought she would be sympathetic to some rules being interpreted a bit flexibly, to take into account a person's perhaps somewhat unusual circumstances.
  11. It's the law: fairness has nothing to do with it (nor justice for that matter).

The Romans had a good concept: they offered any barbarian or conquered tribesman the opportunity of serving with the Legions. Provided they served for 20 years (and survived) then they were automatically granted full Roman citizenship and given a plot of land large enough to build a home on and farm.

Worth resurrecting?

My tuppence is: is 6 years enough to earn citizenship? Not in my book (unless in that period he is awarded a first-tier gong), however forcing him to sit an "British-ness" test is stupid: service to the Crown with an honourable discharge should be enough to earn an exemption.
  12. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

There's also the fact that his wife is from the UK, he's got three kids and Scotland is under-populated. The UKBA is a joke and immigration should be a devolved matter.
  13. From the Fijian High Commission web page

Can't see any need for a trip to Fiji or £1000 mentioned.

Still it is a story in the Daily Record aka 'greeting faced Scottish rag', so perhaps they've omitted some important detail.