Pay for "extra-curricular" PT?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Jimw100, Jan 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Firstly: if there is some pamphlet I should have read before putting this question here then feel free to point me in the right direction.

Right, I'm just wondering if anyone here gets paid for doing PT outside of actual TA/reserves training nights? I ask because I heard on the grapevine (lets say a friend of a theoretical friend for the sake of not getting anyone in trouble) that some staff sign their men off for a quarter days pay for every time they can show they did their own PT during the week. The logic behind this is apparently that regs get Wednesday off to do phys, and so are in effect being paid to keep fit, and with the whole One Army idea this should be replicated in the TA.

For example I go to BMF ( for those who haven't heard of it) and pay for the pleasure of doing PT with proper army PTIs. It would be nice to have this cost offset by getting paid, even if its just a days pay per month.

Personally I'm not too bothered about the whole thing, and therefore I'm unlikely to go up the chain of command to pursue this, especially as I can imagine the responses being along the lines of "Then we would have to pay every time someone went out for a run" or "Private X doesn't get paid for PT and he manages to stay fit". However it would be interesting to see if this is a widespread thing or not

2. msr

msr LE

Do a search, this has been discussed before.

3. Apologies, am I missing some jargon I should be including in my search? Have looked back 9 months or so and not stumbled across any relevant topics.

Cheers for any help
  4. msr

msr LE

Search for keywords 'pay fitness' (without the quotes)

Search for all terms

Search Forum: Just TA.

5. Since when? Not in my time.

Organised unit sport on a Wed afternoon yes, but not 'Weds off to do phys'

Edited for mongness :oops:
  6. I meant Weds afternoon off, and I suppose I meant "off" as in "doing phys that isn't directly soldier related" like tabbing etc.

MSR- Cheers for the help there, found the thread now. I gather from there that this practice of getting paid for phys is definitely NOT widespread after all...
  7. I was led to beleive that -for the most part- a TA soldiers fitness was his own responsibility, and it was implied by PSI's and the like that one had to do 'phys' in ones own time to keep up to standard.

Surely one doesn't need a days pay to get motivated in the great battle with old 'belly'?
  8. You absolutely do need to do phys in your own time if you want to be a good soldier. Personally i don't need the extra motivation; as i said above I do phys anyway, I even pay my own money for it because I think its better than just going out for a run.

I don't think paying people in the TA for doing phys would increase the amount of people that do it. As was stated on the other thread, if you're too lazy to do it for free then a quarter days pay for every 4 hours you do or whatever probably won't change your mind.

I've never thought "i should be paid to do this" when I'm out doing PT, but hearing that others DO get paid for it just made me wonder. If money was available to subsidise worthwhile extracurricular PT I wouldn't sniff at it, but its not as if I'm going to stop exercising because I'm not being paid for it.
  9. Jim,

There are ways of getting mil discounts with BMF.

Use your jedi mind powers.

Or ask them.
  10. I get "corporate rates" for being TA if thats what you mean? Like I said, I'm not too bothered about it myself, but thanks for the heads up. I thought I might be missing a trick by paying all this money whilst every other b•stard is getting paid for it, but obviously thats not the case.
  11. Should I put in a pay claim fir the time I spend ironing my kit? Should I get a receipt for my haircuts? What about the shreddies I wear when in DPM, surely I can bill for these?

12. I seriously thought this was gonna be about hookers . . .
  13. We get paid a 1/4 days pay to visit the gym, as long as proof is provided, up to a maximum of 4 times a month.
  14. Hmmm...

How about:

Should you get paid for weapons training? Should you get paid for navigation training?

Should you get paid for any training which is required by the MoD in order to be fit for role?

Just because PT can be carried out in an individual's own time and at an individual's own expense, does that mean it should be?
  15. Im reg, not TA and, guess what, I run "in my own time" three times a week and swim etc at the weekend. I do not think it would be unreasonable to ask your CoC to ensure you have access to training facilities but I do not believe you should be paid for time spent unless it is part of organised unit PT.