PAY DISMAY.

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by SPIDERMONKEY, Sep 30, 2003.

?
  1. YES

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NO

100.0%
  3. WE GET PAID FOR THIS?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :(
    I AM LOOKING FOR SOME LIGHT AT THE END OF A VERY DARK TUNNEL.

HAVING BEEN ON OPS FOR MOST OF THE START OF THIS YEAR I RETURNED TO GERMANY IN TIME TO MOVE TO A UK POSTING.

THERE WAS A 1.5 MONTH BREAK BETWEEN MOVING FROM GERMANY TO THE UK.

IT IS NOW OCTOBER AND I AM STILL BEING PAID ALLOWANCES THAT ARE NOT DUE TO ME.

I HAVE KEPT A CLOSE WATCH ON THIS DEVELOPING OVER THE PAST 4 MONTHS THROUGH MY ADMIN OFFICE AT MY NEW POSTING. THERE HAVE BEEN SOME GLARING ERRORS WHICH HAVE MADE THIS SITUATION WORSE.

1. LSSA WAS NOT STOPPED AFTER RETURNING TO GERMANY.
    2. MY DOCS WERE NOT FORWARDED TO MY NEW POSTING IN THE UK FOR SOME 3 MONTHS.
    3. AS A DIRECT RESULT OF THIS MY PAY STATEMENTS WERE NOT GETTING TO ME BUT GOING TO GERMANY.
    4. LOA WAS THEREFORE STILL BEING PAID AS IF I WAS STILL POSTED IN GERMANY.

THIS HAS RESULTED IN MY GOOD SELF BEING APPROXIMATELY £1700 IN ARREARS TO HER MAJESTY.

THIS MONEY WILL BE TAKEN OFF ME AT SOME STAGE NO DOUBT!

I HEAR THAT OFFICERS CAN PAY BACK IN INSTALLMENTS, SUBJECT TO A LETTER BEING WRITTEN TO THEM FROM GLASGOW, BUT SOLDIERS GET IT ALL TAKEN OFF IN ONE GO, SURELY AN UNREASONABLE SITUATION TO START WITH!

I HAVE ALSO HEARD THAT UP TO 30,000 PAY ERRORS ARE MADE EVERY MONTH.

I AM OBVIOUSLY NOT ALONE IN THIS SITUATION.

WHY IS THIS ALLOWED TO HAPPEN?

WHO IS ACCOUNTABLE?

WHY DO I HEAR SO MANY STORIES OF SOLDIERS AND OFFICERS GETTING TREATED LIKE THIS WITH NO SIGN OF THE PERPETRATORS GETTING DISCIPLINED?

I THINK THE SITUATION IN GENERAL IS OUTRAGEOUS AND WOULD LIKE TO HEAR ANYONE'S VIEWS ON THE SUBJECT.[/quote]

2. Spider,

Why are you so quick to try and blame others, when you are the one who spent money which didn't belong to you? Once back in Blighty you know you get paid less. I know there's the temptation to spend it while you've got it, but you must have known they would take it back in the end. Now your piissed off, and instead of taking responsibilty for your own actions, you think it's disgracefully they want it back. It's tough titties mate. Next time open a seperate bank account with one of those 30 day rulings and pay so much in each month. Then when they want it back, you won't fell the punch as hard !!

3. You are missing my point!!

I am in the fortunate position to have planned for that eventuality.

I am well aware of the need to pay it back, hence the admission that I had been overpaid, I have not blown it all cherry bombs and fizzy pop. Although being unmarried and unfettered by kids, perhaps I should have done!

The point is............Don't people have enough things to worry about without having to constantly chase up loose ends.

You say that I am blaming someone else!

Well it is hardly my fault I was overpaid. I have also been pro active in trying to get some closure on the issue. But once things enter the world of the Admin Office they tend to do their own thing!

Perhaps having our pay issues worked out by a centralised office in Glasgow, where you can only get info by e-mailing them or faxing, or if in dire straights, wait in a queue on a so called Helpline for a couple of hours, is not such a great idea. Many in the Admin world say that the regional offices were far more affable, and problems actually got solved rather than shelved, or lost!

4. It is unfortunate I know but at least you haven't spent the money, so do as Gunny says and stick it into a savings account and earn some interest on it. At least it is better being this way round than the Army owing you money !!

The situation with Officers and Soldiers owing money back is going to be rectified early next year with all of us being on the same system - and not before time :p

There unfortunately is no way to find out who is responsible, be it your old unit, your new unit or AFPAA in Glasgow without making a complaint through the chain of command, but even then I wouldn't hold out much hope of finding out even then.

The people working at Kentigern House are in the majority Civil Servants - so look at it this way. You pay peanuts and you get monkeys to work for you. Also the lowest bidder for the Fixed Centre Pay System got the contract so read into that what you will.

You could always give the money into your FSA for safekeeping if you think you may be tempted to dip into it - I am sure they would hold it for you without any problems.

Good Luck !!! :D

5. For what it's worth I (a civvy) agree with you that this situation appears appalling....and you are not the first man to post here who is at their wits end trying to deal with a ridiculously slow moving and unhelpful system.

6. This is an outragous situation. Your employer has a duty to look after your pay and allowances in a responsible manner, this obviously wasnt done. Any pay office which takes longer than 30 days to sort out this type of error (in my own oppinion) isnt doing their job properly. Therefore the matter is between you and your employer. If you feel that you have done all you can personally to sort out the situation, apply for an OC/CO's interview and talk you problem over. If this doesnt lead to resolution, enter the relevant complaints through the chain of command.

Just my thoughts on the subject. The system is too open to blaim the person/system/glasgow, someone has to be accountable for errors made to pay accounts - in the same manner that any soldier is accountable for errors they make at work. Blaiming Glasgow doesnt really cut it i'm afraid.

Off me soapbox,

Boney

7. When my pay office were trying their best to sort out my difficulties they confessed that part of the problem was the new system at Glasgow-in the old days (up to last year) they knew exactly who to talk to so could phone up Gladys or whoever. Now it all goes through the "Help Desk" and you never get the same person twice and have to start at square one again.

The system is at fault and would not be tolerated by any civillian organisation or any representative body-a pressing case for the Armed Forces Federation, I believe.

Remeber-if you work for someone as part of a mutually binding contract and they don't pay you correctly they are almost certainly breaking the law.

8. The so called "Helpdesk" at Glasgow is for Pay clerks to call, not for every soldier in the British Army.
    You complain that you can no longer speak to "Gladys" either, well the reason the "helpdesk" was created was because pay clerks no longer want to do their job. The APC has been abused for years, its easier to ring Glasgow than to work your way through pay statements calculating LSSA cards.

You should visit the Enquiry service (ITS CORRECT NAME) and see how busy they are, and the bumpf that they listen to on a daily basis. I have visited, there is about 14 staff who work tirelessly and most calls the pay clerk can't even have the service number at hand, never mind know the ins and outs of pay regs.

Soldiers and officers should be responsible for their own pay, you KNOW how much you should be paid, so why pretend to be surprised when you receive more, you are quick to shout when you are underpaid.

I know Glasgow has its problems, Glasgow knows its has its problems, but a lot of these problems should have been sorted at unit level, before they even got there.
    And if you are worried about the money coming off you in one go, ASK FOR AN OVERISSUE, its SIMPLE. You can then pay back by installments. Glasgow aren't psychic, they don't know if you want one, you have to ask.
    Speak to your pay clerk, thats what they are there for.

A disgruntled pay clerk who does appreciate the APC and the Enquiry Service.

9. Pass the Mess Webley to the RAO....and let him shoot the fcuking pay clerk!
    Nah, just kiddin' Porkie!
    Pay IS an individual responsibility and whilst I can sympathise at not having received you pay statements, you must do something about it yourself (phone your previous pay clark, RAOWO or RAO) and ensure that the necessary P20s and amendments are made. There really is no excuse for letting what is, admittedly, an intolerable situation run on for months. If the words "I think there has been some mistake" stick in your throat, you only have yourself to blame.

In the meantime, stick the lot on the favourite in the 3.30 at Kempton!

10. Porkie, its not really about blame most of the time - its more about having what you have worked for. Imagine being on a building site and telling the guys - "Sorry mate, I forgot to do the banking - work next month and I will owe you 2 months wages !"

When I was at Colerne, Wiltshire I received a pay statement where I had 930 pounds taken off me for a garage - I didn't have a garage (never mind one that cost 930 pounds). When I (politely) asked the RAO for advice they were helpful and offered to pay a cheque straight into my account to square things away.

The point is mistakes happen - if people were upfront about them (sorry it was the computer at Glasgow) and got good advice from the pay office then they wouldn't mind half as much. At the very least I think the pay office should rectify any mistakes within a couple of days so that soldiers are not out of pocket. Equally when a soldier proffs some extra wonga he should "cater" for it by putting it aside for when he is asked to return it.

11. Top investment tip for a lump sum that you know you're going to have to pay back at some point in the near future (min 2 months investment required I think) is Premium Bonds. OK, so you might win nowt, but its certainly a smarter bet than the National sLottery (or whatever its called this week).

LC