Pay decrease to attend career progression course (service complaint?)

Hi all,

I am currently a (local) Lance Corporal on £28k. I have held the rank for 20 months at my current unit. I am due to attend a course in January at another unit which is 8 months long. This course requires recommendation for promotion (to Corporal) to attend. My latest SJAR was a yes yes with A- grading. Upon completion of this course I will then be promoted to Leading Hand (Navy Corporal equivalent - this is ultimately a service transfer) and will take a pay rise up to £31k.

When I leave my current unit I will lose my local rank and will join the course at the gaining unit on £23k (£5k less per year than my current salary).

I understand how the system works with regards to local ranks and demotion upon leaving the local unit.

I am just interested to see what other people make of this - as a matter of principle. It feels like I am taking a large pay cut for 8 months and being punished for doing well whilst trying to progress my career. It will take roughly a year (on completion of the course) to make up for the loss of earnings over the 8 month period. I effectively wont see any financial gain from the promotion to Leading Hand until over a year afterwards due to the aforementioned demotion.

I don't know much about service complaints or what they can achieve but I guess my question is to see if anyone thinks I have any grounds for submitting one? After serving on my current pay scale for nearly 2 years this seems like a bit of a kick in the teeth.

Thanks for reading, if anyone has any insight please let me know. I will be seeking more information through my chain of command also.

Would you not be regarded as on temporary attachment to whomever is providing the course until or unless such time as you actually pass the course and get transferred to your new unit. I would have thought it is nigh on impossible to transfer from 'a course' to another unit. Consequently, you may be able to retain your local rank (and pay) until such time as you either pass and get transferred or fail and RTU? Just a common sense pennyworth, I have no idea how things work these days.

Would you not be regarded as on temporary attachment to whomever is providing the course until or unless such time as you actually pass the course and get transferred to your new unit. I would have thought it is nigh on impossible to transfer from 'a course' to another unit. Consequently, you may be able to retain your local rank (and pay) until such time as you either pass and get transferred or fail and RTU? Just a common sense pennyworth, I have no idea how things work these days.

Thanks for the reply Kinch,

this is the impression I was originally under. I thought I would attend the course but still remain anchored to my original unit and potentially be able to keep my rank and pay. However it seems that I have to physically leave my current unit and join the new unit hosting the course.

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
I wasn't aware that Local rank carried any increased pay.

Acting, yes. Local, no.

Bah humbug. Wouldn't have happened in my day etc. *shakes Telegraph* harumph :)

I'm confused.

Are you also transferring from Army to RN at the same time?

I wasn't aware that Local rank carried any increased pay.

Acting, yes. Local, no.

Bah humbug. Wouldn't have happened in my day etc. *shakes Telegraph* harumph :)

I'm confused.

Are you also transferring from Army to RN at the same time?

I'm actually RM transferring to RN. Being an Army forum and since this more matter of principle rather than semantics I thought the service wouldn't matter. RM Lance Corporals are all 'Local Acting' as there is no course required to promote.

Bluntly, I think you've dipped.

I'm imaging that either you're transferring because your SQ is about to disappear, your SQ is dead mans shoes, or you're transferring for better pay and promotion in the long term.

You can't raise a service complaint (primarily because you're choosing to go on this course), but you could raise a representation through your Troop Commander to your CO. I'm not sure how much of a chance you'll have in changing Naval Service policy.

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
In short, you can only raise a service complaint about something you're entitled to.

You're not entitled to promotion etc. Seems like a bump on the road to higher things. Suck it up and move on?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Bluntly, I think you've dipped.

I'm imaging that either you're transferring because your SQ is about to disappear, your SQ is dead mans shoes, or you're transferring for better pay and promotion in the long term.

You can't raise a service complaint (primarily because you're choosing to go on this course), but you could raise a representation through your Troop Commander to your CO. I'm not sure how much of a chance you'll have in changing Naval Service policy.
In short, you can only raise a service complaint about something you're entitled to.

You're not entitled to promotion etc. Seems like a bump on the road to higher things. Suck it up and move on?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies guys, this is what I thought but just wanted to check. I gather I'm not entitled to it in terms of policy but I was interested to see if there was any consideration of principle?

I was told a dit by my boss that three already serving ranks joined his branch with the promise of a golden handshake but the wording of the policy was that they needed to 'join the navy' at a certain time rather than the branch. Since they had already been serving for 10 years plus they were not entitled to it - because of bad wording and bad policy. The three of them submitted a service complaint and received the golden handshake.

I was a Corporal, got selected for promotion and to go on the Air Traffic Controllers course. Was made acting Sgt (unpaid) but had to live in the Sgts Mess, with appropriate bills etc. for the nearly 6 month course. After successful completion of the course and gaining 2 endorsements on my licence at my new unit I was Acting Sgt (paid) until I successfully completed the General Service Training element, then I was a Sgt. Flight Sergeant was much better, show me the money!
Basically if you want promotion you have to suck it up buttercup.

Latest Threads