Pay change on promotion for LE

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by devexwarrior, Mar 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Probably been done to death,but

What happens when LE's go from Capt to Maj. Do they stay on the LE scale or move across to the Major's pay scale?
  2. IIRC, they move across to the Major's scale and advance up the scale until they receive a 2-4% rise.

3. If it helps, I went across to increment level 6 on promotion to Maj, but it looks like I went onto mark time rates of pay for 6 years.
  4. LE Capts promoted to Maj migrate across to the mainstream Maj pay scales at a level which gives them a minimum % uplift to take account of the promotion. Litotes guages this at between 2 - 4% but I believe it is a minimum uplift of 5%.

This uplift, however, is largely irrelevant. What is more significant, and extremely damaging to future pay/pension prospects, is the application of mark time rates of pay on promotion to Maj. As an example if one migrates across to Level 5 rates one will remain on this rate for the next 5 years. This equates to a 'loss' of about £500 per year.

The net result is that after 5 years the pay scales between mainstream Majs, who on promotion receive Level 1 pay rates, and LE Majs will have converged. The logic behind this is unclear - what is clear, however, is that whilst pay has converged, other TACOS have gone in wildly different directions.

5. This is one of the reasons why, after 2 years as a Maj, I am taking the money and running. There are a few more reasons for going at that point, but in financial terms, this is the optimum leaving point.
  6. And, of course, the ladder only extends to 9 years and then stops. Long engagements anyone? Not if you want to be seriously disadvantaged in the future.