Pay at Sandhurst

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by SamSeabourne, Nov 13, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Afternoon all,

I was wondering if anyone could answer a questions I have regarding pay while at Sandhurst.

As I understand it as a graduate I would be starting on £24,615 during training and then £29,586 afterwards.

But I was wondering while at Sandhurst, what deductions your pay faces for board and food, etc?

Does anyone know the take home salary at the end of each month while at Sandhurst?

Thanks for the help. :salut:
  2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

3. You should find that food's free, since it's a training establishment. Certainly was when I was there.
  4. I'd say that any amount that you can afford to pay would be gratefully accepted in these straitened times.

And thank you for your kind offer, it's not every day we meet up with a cadet as generous as you appear to be.

Or have I got it wrong again?

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Brotherton Lad

Tell the young'uns that a quarter of your pay went on food and accom and another quarter on tax and NI and they won't believe you. Then most of the rest went on your Mess bill.
  6. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

We used to have a 'voluntary' £X taken for tea and cakes supplied at 11:00 - if you weren't there or didn't get them tough luck because you still got charged - and don't even think about asking not to be charged.....also wasn't there another voluntary charge in lieu of Council Tax (9p per day jumps to mind)

7. Brotherton Lad

I thought it was still deducted centrally, then Pay as you Dine in your unit. Happy to be corrected, though.
  8. We got our tea and stickies at tea time not elevenses.
  9. Thanks folks but I was really hoping there would be someone on here that may have been at RMAS in the last few years who would be able to say, every month I took home X amount during training. Thanks anyway!
  10. Just back from PCCBC, take home is around £1300pcm after deductions (depending on levels of alcoholism)
  11. It really comes down to how large you mess bill is every month. The ability to do drill, play rugby, deploy on exercise, etc, while maintaining the appearance of normality, despite a stinking hangover, really sorts the wheat from the chaff.

For a slightly more serious answer, as a graduate, surely you can work out what your take-home pay will be from open-source information? Once you have deducted tax, NI, food and accommodation (assuming they are applicable), and made reasonable assumptions on equipment expenses, you will have an indication of what is left. But think through what you are asking. Do you not think that £24K is enough while under training? Also, what advice would you give an NCO or soldier who came to you asking this? I suspect that you may counsel that routinely income should exceed outgoings by around 10%. You may also advise that much touted piece of advice of, 'how can you administer others if you cannot administer yourself?'

I hope this helps.
    Love and hugs,
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Brotherton Lad

I said that, Mr Logic, and with fewer words.
  13. Yes, but you're probably much cleverer than I am.
  14. Brotherton Lad

Someone on here will know who wrote this, 'Please forgive me for writing such a long letter. I didn't have time to write a shorter one.'

Found it: Blaire Pascal