Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pay as you dine

Brunch was a great idea in Germany, in England everyone went back home, 50 years ago most singlie soldiers couldn't afford to run a car, most have one today.
Pre packed lunches from my memory contained panda pops, churches crisps and the like, you simply cant make a premium brand lunch for a quid or so.

PAYD bought the Military into the 20th century (in the 21st century). Almost no other organisation has a similar system. Even with schools dinners you pay for what you eat, but the military struggled to make it work.
Having had a quick look the kids pay more (£2.30) for their lunch than the PAYD rate.

Having had a quick look the kids pay more (£2.30) for their lunch than the PAYD rate.
If people want better food they have to pay for it.

I was in Blandford when PAYD was instigated, I went in to the Cookhouse for dinner and there was knack all left on the hot plate other than curry and rice. I looked at the menu board on the wall and the hot plate and saw that steak was on both. Me “Excuse me Chef, could I have steak and chips please? Well done?“
Chef “There’s none left. It’s just what’s on the hot plate left”
Me “I don’t like curry, could I have steak and chips please?”
Chef (getting pissed off by now) “There isn’t any left”
Me “This is Pay As You Dine now isn’t it?”
Chef “Yes it is”
Me “In that case, you’re contractually bound to provide me with a meal of my choosing from your published menu which I then pay for. I would like steak and chips please, as advertised on your menu here”
I got steak and chips.
Blokes who I sat with “How the fxxk did you get steak? There was fxxk all left when we came in”
Me “ This is PAYD now. If it’s on the menu that they put on the hot plate they have to provide you with that choice, even if it’s 5 minutes before closing. This steak probably got rubbed around the toilet and kicked across the car park but I got what I asked for. Don’t accept shit from these ******* ever again “
You were at Blandford at the same time as me and I witnessed it at first hand in the WOs and Sgts Mess. I attended a course in Mar (pre-PAYD) and another one a month later (PAYD having just been implemented) and was able to make a direct comparison. The difference was stark, even down to a measured amount of milk for cereal at breakfast. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for paying for what I get, it's just that the mandated quantities for what you paid for were miniscule.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

But, but, but, it’s still far cheaper than what civilians pay.....

Completely and utterly missing the point that they are supposed to get 3 meals a day (core), to an edible standard at the Daily Messing Rate. Not 3 meals a day at a slightly inflated cost because “we can increase the quality and offer more choice”

It was never part of the deal and it was never going to be sustainable under PAYD and every person in the CofC who pretended that it was are equally culpable for their soldier now paying more for less.

But at least the have excellent cooking facilities in the block and easy access to the local supermarkets with plenty of room to store their weekly shop ^~

I am genuinely impressed by the significance number of ‘avago eros’ on here who have put their CofC right back in their boxes.

Sure does warm the cockles of me heart, so it does ^~

07 I think, it was the week where the Master Chef brought in PAYD, retired from the RLC then started as the Catering Manager in the JRC the next morning. The same guy who brought out all the cardboard recycling bins. When I went back a couple of years later, that was the case. A lot of Seniors would eat in the JRC, as I recall the Mess Chef was one of the sons of someone on camp
I was there 05-07. I can remember the Mess functions, warm white wine, cold red wine, soggy deep fried starters etc.

I was there 05-07. I can remember the Mess functions, warm white wine, cold red wine, soggy deep fried starters etc.
The Mess definitely improved, we just paid more. Port and wine always ran out at Mess functions, and no bar extensions either. We had a Permanent Staff training event, the Officers went to a farm, and all the Seniors went to the FOB. The RSM cleared it with the Mess Manager to take the Mil Chef to cook the BBQ for the Seniors, having been absolutely rest assured that the Mess would be fine without the Mil Chef and the Mess wouldn’t get penalised for it as all Seniors would be at the BBQ and the Mess wouldn’t be in use. Next morning, the RSM receives a nice bill for 200 quid because the Mess had to hire a civvy chef to cover the Mil Chefs absence. Fxcking robbing cxxts

A lot of Seniors would eat in the JRC,
What would happen if the juniors wanted to eat in theSgts mess? They would be told - on your bike, thats for you to get promoted to Sgt. Fair enough, but why should seniors be allowed to eat in the JRC when the Toms should be allowed to eat in peace.

Not that I really give a f*ck, as I left a long time ago.

Most if not all of the Junior Ranks diners I have been to have some form of separation.
One in Bulford had two sizes, I think it was left for anyone, right for soldiers. Andover has a lower ratio of JRs and has a partition.

On some site visits I’ve gone around with the CO and/or QM and have had two versions regarding officers going into the diners - one that they should not go there and to allow the soldiers to be relaxed, and the other that officers should go there occasionaly to see what the soldiers get. This may vary depending on the attitude of officers who go in.

I‘m a civilian so noone knows or cares where I eat (as long as I keep out of the soldiers ‘private’ area.
I prefer the mess as I don’t need any money and can sign a chit.

What would happen if the juniors wanted to eat in theSgts mess? They would be told - on your bike, thats for you to get promoted to Sgt. Fair enough, but why should seniors be allowed to eat in the JRC when the Toms should be allowed to eat in peace.

Problem at blandford was staggered meal timings. I went as an OCdt, from an OTC, many years ago to do the RSI course. This was before PAYD.

As an OCdt I was put up and meant to feed in the mess. Lunch in the officers mess started approx 30 minutes (I think, was a while and a lot of beer ago) after food in the JRC. With a 40 minute lunch break and a 5 minute walk each way I ended up buying sandwiches from the spar, or museum cafe most days.

I assume the SNCOs teaching elements of the course had similar issues, I seem to recall all the post lunch slots being delivered by Cpls.

£1.75 (iirc, it was over 30 years ago) was hardly bank breaking sum of money. And the three meals per day we got for that were - generally - pretty good.

Must have been different years. In every unit I served in, the majority did. The problem with "high quality" is that it is a)subjective and b) strawman, to a degree. What you and I define as high quality could differ vastly. But, in general, we had pretty good food. The standard could vary depending on who was cooking. Cookhouse standards could vary from year to year depending on who had been posted in/out. Same as being on Ex. We had a great sloppo, Scouse, in 1985. But SHQ poached him, and we got an 18yr old sprog, Pete, who tried to serve egg banjos as a main meal.... he soon learned.

I miss Sat brunch - handmade to order custom omellete, scrambled eggs, suasages, tomatoes, mushrooms, black pudding and a huge mug of tea, reading the papers. Possibly an area where the masterchef could use creative accounting and use a budget for two meals for 600 blokes to serve one meal.

On the half dozen occasions I ate at Blandford (1990-1994) the food was awesome. ACC chefs. By 2017 it was shiite - PAYD civvy caterers.

No, it comes from the number of soldiers they had a budget to cater for. "One egg per GD Marine" is a phrase that will always stick with me.

Your last line should read "if every unit was fully manned and every soldier had gone to the cook house all the time the quantity would have been shit". But actually, I'm not sure the quality would have suffered; cook chefs would have produced good food, bad chefs bad. What would have been more pronounced is the availabilty of all menu choices; chef would produce say 150 portions each of 4 mains; if one choice was unpopular, the last 15o soldiers through would have been disappointed.

1.75 might be **** all to you 30 years ago, it might have been to other people.
The DMR rate is 9% of of toms gross wages, to some toms thats quite a bit.

The majority did not, it would be impossible for any cookhouse, army or sodexo to make 3 decent meals a day for the majority of soldiers on the old daily rate. Even less so with all stories of the cookhouse providing additional food for bbqs/functions. The money for the food doesnt just magically appear. Try buying premium brand food for a three course meal for £2.17, of course the quality is going to suffer. People were talking about steak earlier, you would be hard pressed to find a decent steak even bulk buying for that price, never mind everything that goes with it. It worked because so many people missed meals.

They had a limited amount of food because they had a limited amount of money.

That’s exactly what happened, every bar was closed too so people had to drink in the NAAFI bar, or the Mess. The Mess prices were on average 5euro cent cheaper than the NAAFI bar, in order to justify being cheaper

The cellar bar in the mess was 5% cheaper than the NAAFI. Unless the NAAFI had special offers.
I worked in the Sgt Mess in Gutersloh as a tom, it was cheap as chips, a bottle of Fjodor vodka was 2.10DM in 1999. It wasnt like that when PAYD came in.
I cant remember anyone asking for the bar prices to change when they asked to pay for the food that they ate.
Who the **** is signing these contracts? A chimp?

Its no longer classed as the Junior ranks cookhouse, so pads wives and their kids can (and did in Gutersloh) eat in the restaurant now.
SNCOs and Officers normally eat in the restaurant because their Messes have very limited choice and it can take a while to get served.

1975-- paid fortnightly on a Thursday--- Some dicks were skint by the following Monday-------- I rest my case.

Its no longer classed as the Junior ranks cookhouse, so pads wives and their kids can (and did in Gutersloh) eat in the restaurant now.
SNCOs and Officers normally eat in the restaurant because their Messes have very limited choice and it can take a while to get served.
Better choices and cheaper. Which was ideal for a new pad, a new Sgt and just been posted back into the UK. I was all 3 so it definitely helped. The only difference in standards I noticed was that you paid more in the Mess for fewer choices and one of the front of house staff cleared your plates away. The food quality was the same