Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pay as you dine

The quality could be fine. The fact that it isnt, has nothing to do with the idea that you pay for the food you eat. Other military and civilian organisations manage it.
Now singlies have more money to spend on booze at functions because they aren't automatically paying for their food.
It was never better value for the singlies unless the singlie regularly ate it the cook house. The majority didnt, thats why we have all the rose tinted glasses view of eating high quality food all the time under the old system.
The joke about 1 sausage partly stems from chefs only having a limited amount of food due to the numbers wanted fed. Normally in training establishments.
If everyone had gone to the cook house all the time the quantity (and possibly quality) would have been shit.

We may have different experiences with different units, but where I was pre PAYD most livers in took most meals in the mess. I probably took 15 of the 21 meals I paid for. Given the quality & quantity delivered I still considered it excellent value for money.

The quality was always going to massively suffer with PAYD, because the money per meal available was slashed. This created a downward spiral as both livers in and livers out abandoned the messes (one unit I was at saw lunch attendance halve within a month of changeover and never recover).

I don't argue I've been treated more fairly under PAYD, but my quality of life during the working week has suffered.

I agree that by common consensus married men seemed to like BAOR. A good lifestyle for pads.
But I can't really see how it was better for a single guy. Drinking oneself into a stupor every weekend only looks great because of a lack of alternatives, and the benefit of rose tinted hindsight.

And we also agree on the main point I was answering to the other poster. Multi rooms are shit and outdated.
At the time, drinking yourself silly was pastime in the UK as well, at least it was cheaper in Germany plus you get the tax free benefits. There was generally more welfare facilities on camp in Germany as well, cinemas, bowling alleys swimming with bar on JHQ. Legal brothels, 24 drinking, aurobahns to speed on...
I didnt go to Germany until 1999 as a soldier and even then the lifestyle was better than the UK.
Also seemed to be more of a team in barracks for the singlies because generally they didnt go home at the weekends.

Dalef65

Old-Salt
At the time, drinking yourself silly was pastime in the UK as well, at least it was cheaper in Germany plus you get the tax free benefits. There was generally more welfare facilities on camp in Germany as well, cinemas, bowling alleys swimming with bar on JHQ. Legal brothels, 24 drinking, aurobahns to speed on...
I didnt go to Germany until 1999 as a soldier and even then the lifestyle was better than the UK.
Also seemed to be more of a team in barracks for the singlies because generally they didnt go home at the weekends.
To each his own as they say.

We may have different experiences with different units, but where I was pre PAYD most livers in took most meals in the mess. I probably took 15 of the 21 meals I paid for. Given the quality & quantity delivered I still considered it excellent value for money.

The quality was always going to massively suffer with PAYD, because the money per meal available was slashed. This created a downward spiral as both livers in and livers out abandoned the messes (one unit I was at saw lunch attendance halve within a month of changeover and never recover).

I don't argue I've been treated more fairly under PAYD, but my quality of life during the working week has suffered.
It would be impossible to provide decent, wide variety of food that could be eaten by the majority of people the majority of the time (especially if you want to add in the cost of free bbq for the sqn). You see the quality of the food you get now for the core price? Well, that's (roughly) what you would have got if you had attended every meal with everyone else.
If PAYD provided decent scran would you complain about it? Probably not. So the fault isnt the fact you pay for your food it's the fact this is another contract **** up by the MOD.

They have more money in their pocket because they aren't spending nearly 200 quid a month on food whether they eat it or not.

:D :D :D

You're a funny guy.

To use your example

£200 a month for food ( When deducted at source ) Equated to 3 meals a day, 365 days a year, with costs returned for periods spent on Ex, Ops or leave.

A bargain.

Are you really trying to tell me that people are now spending less than £200 a month on food, through a combination of PAYD and supplementary food supplies, if they are not eating PAYD ?

You're a funny guy.

To use your example

£200 a month for food ( When deducted at source ) Equated to 3 meals a day, 365 days a year, with costs returned for periods spent on Ex, Ops or leave.

A bargain.

Are you really trying to tell me that people are now spending less than £200 a month on food, through a combination of PAYD and supplementary food supplies, if they are not eating PAYD ?
You do realise that the majority of squaddies are not the spastics of your generation? That some cook for themselves? Or have a life outside of the Army.
Paying nearly 200 quid for something you dont use isnt a bargain for anyone.

You do realise that the majority of squaddies are not the spastics of your generation? That some cook for themselves? Or have a life outside of the Army.
Paying nearly 200 quid for something you dont use isnt a bargain for anyone.

Where, and what, are these people cooking? My last unit, with the best singly accn I've had still only provided one 4 ring hob and under counter fridge for every 25-30 people?

Regardless of whether or not someone is 'spastic' it's not a great setup to cook efficient nutritious food of an evening.

Last edited:

Dalef65

Old-Salt
Vast majority of squaddies I knew preferred Germany to the UK.
Personally I preferred UK.

You're a funny guy.

To use your example

A bargain.

Doesn't matter whether you define it as a bargain or not. That's not the issue.

Today's generation want to spend their own money, the way they see fit. That's their choice.

Personally I preferred UK.

Doesn't matter whether you define it as a bargain or not. That's not the issue.

Today's generation want to spend their own money, the way they see fit. That's their choice.

As Stacker himself has pointed out on other threads, there is far too many who spend their money as they see fit and have no money left to eat.

That is a major issue.

If your wibbling is anything to go by, your logic falls down a very big hole, and you are talking out your hoop.

How can you say what the generation of today’s squaddies want when you left around 50 years ago and everyone you served with has now left?

This is why you get bounced on every single thread you post on.

If your wibbling is anything to go by, your logic falls down a very big hole, and you are talking out your hoop.
Says the man the used an example of taxes back in 1979.

The trouble is what people want and what they need are often different.
Soldiers of today do not need to be forced to pay for food that they dont eat.

It would be impossible to provide decent, wide variety of food that could be eaten by the majority of people the majority of the time (especially if you want to add in the cost of free bbq for the sqn). You see the quality of the food you get now for the core price? Well, that's (roughly) what you would have got if you had attended every meal with everyone else.
If PAYD provided decent scran would you complain about it? Probably not. So the fault isnt the fact you pay for your food it's the fact this is another contract **** up by the MOD.
I agree, it’s the same for most if not all MOD ******* up contracts. It’s all down to those you complain to stating the same tired old party line “well, it’s PAYD, you get what you paid for“, “ it’s down to Babcock fecking things up, you get what you paid for” “it’s down to Sodexo fecking things up, you get what you paid for” etc etc etc etc.
The fact is, those in senior positions won’t do bugger all about contracts being fecked up because all they give a toss about is their BEM/MBE/OBE/CBE, their next posting, their future career after the military on the Contractors board, their next kickback, or all of the above.

As Stacker himself has pointed out on other threads, there is far too many who spend their money as they see fit and have no money left to eat.

That is a major issue.
Far too many? How many is that? Because it certainly isnt the majority.

Latest Threads