Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pay as you dine

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
FAM - we picked as a trial area the Naval Base where we were actively telling people they would be based there their entire career. We've moved nearly all the training establishment there as well. I presume that'll be the case for the Army's FAM sites too...

And we are one of those companies that pay the substantial fee.....with its automatic renewal which i admit caught us out during COVID lockdown and few people in work (finance etc who would of caught it!!). Its a money making scam basically just so you get to read tender documents.
Exactly, I decided to basically now go and do my own manufacturing process and engage in B2C after the aggro of an MOD contract which left me largely out of pocket due to mitigating factors which I'd be happy to discuss privately over ARRSE message... but to be frank units ALSO have their own access to set budgets so they are also free to use at thier own discretion and which they can justify the expenditure...

Scoff not being one of them because the level of quality of food in a squaddie isn't important isn't it?

The guys today have more money in their pocket because they aren't treated like the spastics of yesterday.

What a load of crap

Income Tax - Lower rate 25%, Basic rate 30%

PA - £ 985

Income Tax - Basic rate 20%

PA - £12,500

That constitutes a pay rise of just over £11,500 by adjustment of the PA. Add in the reduction of Basic Rate tax and the increase is even bigger.

What a load of crap

Income Tax - Lower rate 25%, Basic rate 30%

PA - £ 985

Income Tax - Basic rate 20%

PA - £12,500

That constitutes a pay rise of just over £11,500 by adjustment of the PA. Add in the reduction of Basic Rate tax and the increase is even bigger.
That's would be a very valid point if other taxes, wages and the general cost of living had not changed in all that time.
But they have, so it was a stupid thing for you to post.

That's would be a very valid point if other taxes, wages and the general cost of living had not changed in all that time.

Cost of living rises for everyone, not just the Armed Forces.

What other / additional taxes does a member of the Forces who would utilise PAYD ( Mostly SLI ) pay ?

Income Tax, National Insurance, and I'm really struggling to identify any other taxes that they would have to pay.

The thing that puzzles me is why nobody has ever gripped the shît food problem by exercising the contract. A few pithy emails pointing out non-compliance (see the DST horror bag dit above) and wait. It works in other fields, so why not this one, or does the Army and MoD lack the corporate balls to drag the contractors over the methorical hot plate and tell them this isn’t good enough.
It’s a matter of defining the shit food problem
It’s someone’s job on the establishment to ensure the food served is in line with the contract / JSP.

The contract requirement is for bulk produced basic food as per the core menu.

It doesn’t help when there are places where an entry in the remarks book results in bollocking the soldier

Cost of living rises for everyone, not just the Armed Forces.

What other / additional taxes does a member of the Forces who would utilise PAYD ( Mostly SLI ) pay ?

Income Tax, National Insurance, and I'm really struggling to identify any other taxes that they would have to pay.
You have never heard of VAT then? Or fuel tax? Or tobacco tax. Or alcohol tax? And NI has gone up since 1979 as well.
Why not just admit it was a stupid thing to post and move on?

Oldone

Crow
The MoD paid for the ingredients in the kitchen. (Bought from suppliers)
Though the accommodation charge may have taken into account the food charge - both being set by AFPRB.

Did the accommodation charge change in line with PAYD introduction, and the subsequent VAT correction?

You have never heard of VAT then? Or fuel tax? Or tobacco tax. Or alcohol tax?

Are these taxes the sole domain of Service Personnel ?

I always thought that these taxes came under the banner of cost of living and are paid by everyone who buys items subject to VAT, drives a vehicle, smokes or drinks.

Let me remind you.

The guys today have more money in their pocket because they aren't treated like the spastics of yesterday.

Now how can that possibly be when pay rises have been absolutely sh!t. In addition, you can add in all the taxes that you mention above.

Yet, amazingly, the guys have more in their pockets than their predecessors did.

Can anyone tell me how this is going ? How is the food which is being sold to the troops?
Are some troops having problems with pay as you dine and how does it work on overseas posting ?

I must admit we couldn't have held the Russians at bay and afforded to payd in BAOR during the 70's. Not with the price of booze being what it was .

It's largely appalling.

Sadly far too many lacked the simple intelligence to work out that paying DFC rates only for the meals you take would see a collapse in quality and quantity. Rather than seeing that (at most units) your 'missed' meal money was used to improve overall quality.

Other side effects include it now being largely impossible to get a crate of curry/chilli/stovies for a unit beer call without knackering the social fund.

Are these taxes the sole domain of Service Personnel ?

I always thought that these taxes came under the banner of cost of living and are paid by everyone who buys items subject to VAT, drives a vehicle, smokes or drinks.

Let me remind you.

Now how can that possibly be when pay rises have been absolutely sh!t. In addition, you can add in all the taxes that you mention above.

Yet, amazingly, the guys have more in their pockets than their predecessors did.

And what has what the civvies do or dont got to with squaddies not being forced to pay for food that they dont want?
They have more money in their pocket because they aren't spending nearly 200 quid a month on food whether they eat it or not. I would have thought that was obvious.

Other side effects include it now being largely impossible to get a crate of curry/chilli/stovies for a unit beer call without knackering the social fund.
Good, junior singles aren't there to subsidise food for everyone else

And what has what the civvies do or dont got to with squaddies not being forced to pay for food that they dont want?
They have more money in their pocket because they aren't spending nearly 200 quid a month on food whether they eat it or not. I would have thought that was obvious.
Well it's a good thing no one joins the Army for the money either way

Good, junior singles aren't there to subsidise food for everyone else

I didn't care as a junior, after all I was still getting food for my money, and the money saved by the social fund meant more booze laid on. I could see that whilst PAYD appeared technically fairer the overall quality of offering would reduce.

DFC was less fair, but much better value for money as a liver-in.

Edited to add: Compared to the variety of unit T-shirts, badges, mugs etc. I was obligated/encouraged to buy as a junior I know which I think was more of a rip off.

Last edited:

Dalef65

Old-Salt
From what i have heard on here.
No vehicles in Regts, no BAOR, no prper cookhouses, the old drinking culture is dying, single man rooms is not good for the army.

To take two of those things....
Why exactly is no BAOR, and single man rooms bad for the Army.? I did BAOR myself and lived in 4,8 and a variety of other rooms.

It was OK as far as it goes, but that was then, this is now. We also need to recognise society expectations (and therefore people in the Army's expectations)move on from generation to generation.
Otherwise we'd still be marching about in Redcoats, carrying muskets, and flogging guys for minor breaches of discipline.

I didn't care as a junior, after all I was still getting food for my money, and the money saved by the social fund meant more booze laid on. I could see that whilst PAYD appeared technically fairer the overall quality of offering would reduce.

DFC was less fair, but much better value for money as a liver-in.

The quality could be fine. The fact that it isnt, has nothing to do with the idea that you pay for the food you eat. Other military and civilian organisations manage it.
Now singlies have more money to spend on booze at functions because they aren't automatically paying for their food.
It was never better value for the singlies unless the singlie regularly ate it the cook house. The majority didnt, thats why we have all the rose tinted glasses view of eating high quality food all the time under the old system.
The joke about 1 sausage partly stems from chefs only having a limited amount of food due to the numbers wanted fed. Normally in training establishments.
If everyone had gone to the cook house all the time the quantity (and possibly quality) would have been shit.

To take two of those things....
Why exactly is no BAOR, and single man rooms bad for the Army.? I did BAOR myself and lived in 4,8 and a variety of other rooms.

It was OK as far as it goes, but that was then, this is now. We also need to recognise society expectations (and therefore people in the Army's expectations)move on from generation to generation.
Otherwise we'd still be marching about in Redcoats, carrying muskets, and flogging guys for minor breaches of discipline.
BAOR, LOA, tax free booze, car, petrol and fags, plus VAT of none consumeables, generally better housing both for singlies and pads. Generous perks/discounts for the bally heroes that they all were.
I agree that multi rooms are shit and date back to when singlies only had a locker of kit , no internet or expectation of bringing a girl back.

Dalef65

Old-Salt
BAOR, LOA, tax free booze, car, petrol and fags, plus VAT of none consumeables, generally better housing both for singlies and pads. Generous perks/discounts for the bally heroes that they all were.
I agree that multi rooms are shit and date back to when singlies only had a locker of kit , no internet or expectation of bringing a girl back.

I agree that by common consensus married men seemed to like BAOR. A good lifestyle for pads.
But I can't really see how it was better for a single guy. Drinking oneself into a stupor every weekend only looks great because of a lack of alternatives, and the benefit of rose tinted hindsight.

And we also agree on the main point I was answering to the other poster. Multi rooms are shit and outdated.

Latest Threads