Pay as you dine

Aldershot a
Previously the MoD paid for the ingredients, paid for the cooking and served it for free.
Incorrect, we were billed for food and it came direct from our wages along with accomodation charges. This went a long way as many did not attend all meals (primarily through choice) and we never went hungry.

Aldershot a

Incorrect, we were billed for food and it came direct from our wages along with accomodation charges. This went a long way as many did not attend all meals (primarily through choice) and we never went hungry.
The MoD paid for the ingredients in the kitchen. (Bought from suppliers)
Though the accommodation charge may have taken into account the food charge - both being set by AFPRB.

Did the accommodation charge change in line with PAYD introduction, and the subsequent VAT correction?

Though the accommodation charge may have taken into account the food charge - both being set by AFPRB.

Did the accommodation charge change in line with PAYD introduction, and the subsequent VAT correction?
No idea, I'd got out in 2000 so missed the sh*t show that was PAYD. The charges on a payslip read Food\Accm. Can't remember how much it was now.

anglo

LE
When ever the MOD gives [I use the word loosely] something to the troops, or makes changers,
the troops always lose money or some restriction is applied.
At lest 50% of a pay rise was snatched back in some form or another
Always has been, always will be

Do you know there was a lot to be said for the old ways
Swift salute and pay and playbook correct sir.
All the food you could eat three times a day

Payd

boo hoo hoo f......... mugs.
But I will admit the pay was shyte.

TBF to them, in the 80s a good few WO i/c JRM would sit down with the last ones in the mess at the end of the day and warn of the dangers of PAYD or as they put it save as you starve the week after payday weekend
Shame they didnt think of teaching a minority of their soldiers how to budget rather than treating them all like spastics.

Mufulira

War Hero
TBF to them, in the 80s a good few WO i/c JRM would sit down with the last ones in the mess at the end of the day and warn of the dangers of PAYD or as they put it save as you starve the week after payday weekend
On a Brazilian site we were treated to well-known private catering contractor (S America's Biggest Belly Robbers) and it was seemingly an endless supply of Beans & Rice --- but ever so nicely done I must agree. A price fromHQ arrived on site and beaming widely, announced to his ex-pat staff that he'd arm-twisted the catering contractor down to an astounding USD12.00 per head/per day. Mounds of rice and very obviously mounds of beans. After a readjustment in his arm-twisting and an addition of a few extra bucks some of the vast herds of cattle were served as an accompaniament and peace once again reigned over the camp until the local 'Greenies' did a raid & burn .....

Shame they didnt think of teaching a minority of their soldiers how to budget rather than treating them all like spastics.
young single living in the block on exercise every month working every other weekend, oh yeah pass the FT old chap

young single living in the block on exercise every month working every other weekend, oh yeah pass the FT old chap
Every single one of them was a spastic in your unit?
Yet the majority of them today seem to manage just fine. Weird huh? Almost as if some soldiers have the ability to make their money for food last a month, although I suppose they dont consider that amazing talent on par with reading the FT.

If you were single or married unaccompanied living in (barracks) a daily food charge was deducted from your pay. Accommodation was a separate daily charge (rate dependent on type and standard of accommodation), but generally lumped together on your pay statement. Soldiers in MQs paid a different rate, but nothing for food. If like me you owned your own property and had permission to live out you paid no food or accommodation charges. PAYD had no effect on pay other than daily food charges stopped, except I believe for soldiers in Phase 1 training establishments. The core meal rate is supposed to be the equivalent of the old food charge, or at least it was on introduction, the premise being that a soldier should get the same meals/food for the same money as was deducted automatically under the old system. In practice that didn't happen as the old system was generally under subscribed especially at weekends, so those who did eat could generally take as much as they wanted, the non-attendees generally subsidised the remainder, something not possible under PAYD.

If you were on exercise, you used to be able to claim back your daily food charges, it’s just that no one bothered because it was a ball ache. I did a couple of times, but was getting that much fresh on exercises that I didn’t bother because I didn’t feel like it was worth the aggro

Can anyone tell me how this is going ? How is the food which is being sold to the troops?
Are some troops having problems with pay as you dine and how does it work on overseas posting ?

I must admit we couldn't have held the Russians at bay and afforded to payd in BAOR during the 70's. Not with the price of booze being what it was .
It’s an absolute disgrace, home and abroad. Yes some places are better but generally it’s a very poor service. It doesn’t matter what you do by way of educating soldiers, they will more often than not, spank all their dough by the end of week two and have feck all to feed themselves properly. Which is why they’re living off stockpiled compo and super noodles.
Example - Bicester - Head Chef on long term sick leave with stress, Assistant Head Chef in charge (who had no catering qualifications and had been in the job a fortnight), the ladies who worked on the tills and cleaned the restaurant were the ones who made the lunch time sandwiches. Hot food was poor quality budget stuff in large boxes and tins which was tipped into fryers McDonalds style. No where else to eat because QMs and NAAFI managers weren’t happy that the Cookhouses were under supported by the troops. We weren’t even allowed to eat in the Mess.
All this stuff
1596845052234.jpeg

Last edited:

Dalef65

Old-Salt
If you were on exercise, you used to be able to claim back your daily food charges, it’s just that no one bothered because it was a ball ache. I did a couple of times, but was getting that much fresh on exercises that I didn’t bother because I didn’t feel like it was worth the aggro
You didn't have to claim it back, (or you shouldn't have had to) . The unit should have been submitting a list of people on exercise every month, and then the pay office (should) do it automatically.
That's how it was supposed to work, and as I recall, it actually did work (Usually.)

You didn't have to claim it back, (or you shouldn't have had to) . The unit should have been submitting a list of people on exercise every month, and then the pay office (should) do it automatically.
That's how it was supposed to work, and as I recall, it actually did work (Usually.)
They did, I meant for lone working gigs

Before PAYD at establishments with civvy contractors, I refuse to believe there was not a little bit of underhand manipulation going on in some places- to save money. Take Collingwood for example-if you were on course there...you’d often only get half an hour - 45 minutes to get your scran, but...the queue would be around half an hour also- despite many having already chinned it off and just gone to the naafi. Although I was deducted monthly for food and accom- most people ended up making their own lunches in a breville.

Before PAYD at establishments with civvy contractors, I refuse to believe there was not a little bit of underhand manipulation going on in some places- to save money. Take Collingwood for example-if you were on course there...you’d often only get half an hour - 45 minutes to get your scran, but...the queue would be around half an hour also- despite many having already chinned it off and just gone to the naafi. Although I was deducted monthly for food and accom- most people ended up making their own lunches in a breville.
I spent a month in early 1981 on a months mobilisation exercise with the RN. We were working at HM,S Centurion but living at HMS Sultan. Lunch was at Centurian which was civilian run and was excellent. However we were staying at Sultan which had RN Chefs so breakfast and dinner was there. The food at HMS Sultan was terrible. Worse than anything I have had in an army cookhouse.

Definitely something corrupt at ASMT Leconfield.
“Chef, there’s no stuff left for packed lunches”
“Tough shit, you should get here earlier then shouldn’t you”
“If every driver training student got here at 0630 on the nail, you’d still run out”
“Get out of bed earlier”
“No, you don’t get it. Fxck it I’ll go to the burger van you fat idle cxxt”

Latest Threads