Pay as you dine - PAYD

Taking you back a long way but we all used to get free scran. If you went on leave, you got a ration allowance to cover what you didn't eat and married personnel got the ration allowance in their pay.
Have you got a link for that, my Granda (who is now dead so I cant clarify with him) said breakfast was free and you were suppose to attend. Nothing about the other meals.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Taking you back a long way but we all used to get free scran. If you went on leave, you got a ration allowance to cover what you didn't eat and married personnel got the ration allowance in their pay.
To make it look like the forces got a big rise, they brought in the system where you got more pay but got money stopped automatically to pay for the food and accommodation (something else you didn't pay for).
Trouble is, you paid for all meals whether you were there or not unless on official leave. So you paid for meals at weekends even if you weren't there.
This was great for us shift workers as we used to get loads of extras paid for by the amount the cooks could claim back from all the gazome at weekends.
Plenty of shimfing from those who claimed they ate out or went home and still had to pay and complained they were paying for stuff they didn't eat.
I think this went on for some years so they decided to bring in PAYD and put it out to private contractors. They could also meet the government targets of reducing manpower at the same time.

They got what they wished for but continue shimfing.
The pre PAYD surplus cash was utilised by QMs for 'extras'. 'Free' tea, coffee and naafi 3's at meetings etc. As soon as PAYD arrived that pot of cash disappeared.

Almost like you didn't have a Dii account.

Can't remember the detail now but a chef/server used the same item to serve two protein options. Can't remember the issue but there was ne. I fired an email referencing the entry, my entry beneath and explaining what happened. To chief chip, civvie contract manager, CCd to QM, RQ and the badge.

Young lad was apologised to next day. No problems.

My mess book was rammed with good and bad comments, when I ate in the cookhouse, on duty, I would enter my thoughts, good and bad.

They're providing a service. It should be honoured.
To Be honest I (stupidly) just thought the issue would be dealt with, i figured Chief Chip at the very least would look at the complaints book on a daily basis, and action any points- I was obviously wrong.

I must say though, I the 2 Messes where I was posted to that I lived in and dined in on PAYD where generally excellent, we always seemed to get the good Chefs though, which I think is the problem.

If you have a lazy chef doing the bare minimum the food will be crap, a motivated and talented chef can rustle up decent meals out of almost anything. But pay peanuts and you get monkeys.

This is excellent information and l dare say you refer to the time when my old man joined up back in 1968.

Thank you very much Mate!
You just said that to make me feel old as I joined up in 1967. It worked you barsteward!

Have you got a link for that, my Granda (who is now dead so I cant clarify with him) said breakfast was free and you were suppose to attend. Nothing about the other meals.
Have I got a link for how it used to be when I joined up? Nope, we didn't have computers or mobile phones then either.
ISTR we got 3/7d a day ration allowance when on official leave.
However, there is a Hansard report on 25 Feb 1970 which contains a statement by Denis Healey so that would suggest it started then or the year before (as he talks about the decreased disparity in pay between single and married soldiers).

ETA:
Actually may have been later as one of the responses given by Mr Healey on 25 Feb 1970 was:

I made it clear a year ago that to be able to offer to a potential recruit at the recruiting office pay which he could compare directly with the pay which he might be offered at the factory gate next door, we would in future require Servicemen to pay the charges for food and accommodation presently provided free, and we have added to the increases for parity and for job evaluation and the X-factor a sum sufficient, after the payment of tax, to cover all the charges for food and accommodation previously provided free of charge.

Last edited:
Nonsense.
I seem to remember that was true although not at the direction of the QM. Various departments often got brew kit from the cookhouse. After PAYD came in they started to charge which would be so bad bad but I also seem to remember their prices being extortionate.

If you have a lazy chef doing the bare minimum the food will be crap, a motivated and talented chef can rustle up decent meals out of almost anything. But pay peanuts and you get monkeys.
True.

The Mess often had the better chefs because they worked alone.

Young lads turn to fill your boots because they don't want to be seen as complainers. ROS/ROOs don't because they are idle.

I had a good relationship with the contract manager at the site. Praised the messes for good service and food but by f*ck did they know I'd raise sh*t food.

@stacker1 points out it took three months to raise a complaint by the qm. This is unacceptable. The issue is forgotten about.

It should have been escalated that day and certainly no later than the end of the week.

This is partly down to the qm not putting in place robust policing of the contract, and there not being a clear path to his door. The RSM reads the report. Why the f*ck didn't he send it to the qm? And finally why didn't @stacker1 push it up?

always talk politely to the head mojo, get names, write in the book immediately and then flag it up to the ROS/ROO. Or your troopy, I always asked the chaps to let me know when they'd done the book. Then I could chase it.

once as ROO I say in the cookhouse all lunch. At 1325 I phoned the ROS to ask him if he'd be joining me at anytime. The ROSs for Tues to Friday were front of the queue :D

@stacker1 points out it took three months to raise a complaint by the qm. This is unacceptable. The issue is forgotten about.

It should have been escalated that day and certainly no later than the end of the week.

This is partly down to the qm not putting in place robust policing of the contract, and there not being a clear path to his door. The RSM reads the report. Why the f*ck didn't he send it to the qm? And finally why didn't @stacker1 push it up?
That was another poster not me.
Having said that I was part of the junior ranks messing comittee when i was a LCpl all complaints were roundly ignored by the QM.

Were they in the book and reported at the time?
In book, reported at the time, brought up on the messing committee. What were the Army going to do? Sack the civvies?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Eggmeister RLC 21
All_Aboard! Army Reserve 12
short-fuse Weapons, Equipment & Rations 7

Latest Threads