Pay as you dine - PAYD

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Combat_Cookie, Oct 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am a fairly new member to ARRSE, but having been reading it for a few years now without ever posting.

I will put my hands up and admit I am a chef, with over 16 years service (Hides behind sofa awaiting a barrage of slop jockey abuse).

My unit has just gone through the PAYD transition and we are now a fully operating PAYD site.

I was wondering if many of you out there had changed over to PAYD at your units, and what your opinions of it are now that it is "in".

For those of you that dont yet have Pay as you dine at your units and are beggining to flap at the thought of it, I am willing to put your minds at rest and answer any burning (sensible) questions on it that you post.

2. Cookie, as we havnt got PAYD here at our camp yet, can you just tell me and probably a lot of others how it works, as in,

Do we pay for every round of bread?
    As many cups of coffee after you paid for 1st one?
    Do soldiers actually run out of money as i have heard before?
    Whats the average selection you can get?
    Whats the complaints procedure? i take it that its not the old way of telling the bored Duty Officer the chips are cold and that you can go straight to the contractor?
    Do you still get guard meals?

3. Also, do you get a bog standard meal for free and just pay for anything over and above such as:-

'today I fancy a nice medium rare steak with all the trimmings'

4. Hi mate,

I will try to keep it brief on some of the above, but this may help to ease the doubts that some of you have and the horror stories you seem to all be getting!!:

Do we pay for every round of bread?
    This is what you are entitled to if you choose the Core meal option:

Breakfast: 1 sausage, 1 slice of bacon, 1 fried/poached or boiled egg, beans, tomatoes, fried bread, 1 bowl of cereals, milk, 2 slices of bread, butter, jam/preserve, 1 cup of tea or coffee and 1 glass of juice. The Core meal price for this is 99p (As it is under the current food charge)

Lunch:
    1 of 3 main lunch choices, 1 bowl of chips, as much rice, potatoes or veg as you can fit on your plate, 2 slices of bread, butter/jam/preserve/sauces etc. 1 coffee or tea, 1 juice, a yoghurt or peice of fruit.
    Or you can take a filled baguette, chips or pasta and the brew/juice/jam/butter etc at my unit instead
    . This costs £1.17

Dinner: a 3 course meal, starter of a bowl of soup, again 1 of 3 main meat choices, as much spuds and veg as you can get on your plate, a hot or cold sweet, and again 1 tea or coffee, 1 juice, 2 slices of bread and all the other condiments I mentioned for lunch. This will cost you £1.50

As many cups of coffee after you paid for 1st one?
    You get a coffee with your meal if you stick to the Core meal option, coffee prices change at different units, but to buy an extra coffee/latte/cappucino/hot chocolate at my unit it costs us just 40p a cup.

Do soldiers actually run out of money as i have heard before?
    Inevitably, some of the younger soldiers who dont know how to budget their money and spend it all on the piss, will run out of money. At my unit, if a soldier is unable to pay for a meal, he goes straight to his Tp Admin Sgt and informs him. That Tp Admin Sgt then takes the soldier to the pay office. He is then issued with meal tickets to see him through till payday (for every meal, regardless of whether he attends them or not!), he is then billed for them meal tickets through his pay.
    I agree with it, because it slightly humiliates the person for not being able to handle his own finances and at the same time educates him into having to budget.
    Pads have to budget for their month and kids etc, so singlies should be able to do. We are all adults at the end of the day!

Whats the average selection you can get?
    As per the example I gave you above for breakfast, lunch and dinner, there are also retail food options, where you would pay a little bit more. For example, we have a pick and mix salad bar for £1.99, Steak burger at £1.75, Mongolian bar - where you choose your meat, fill a bowl with onions/chillies/mushrooms/ peppers etc etc and the chef cooks it there and then for you in a wok on the hotplate, this comes with rice or noodles and costs just £1.89.

Whats the complaints procedure? i take it that its not the old way of telling the bored Duty Officer the chips are cold and that you can go straight to the contractor?
    The complaints procedure is similar, in our dining room there are comments/complaints/ideas cards and a board. People fill in the cards and hand them into the chef. these then go to the Master Chef/RCWO and the contactor to view. They then write an answer or comment back and nit gets pinned on the board in the dining room for all to see.

Do you still get guard meals?
    Sadly, guard meals have gone out the window, UNLESS you are on a 24hour duty. If you are on a duty less than 24 hours then you have to pay for meals like everyone else, however if your duty is 24 hours or more, you get it free and just sign for it.
    Guard boxes are also on their way out. just for info, the RCWO can now only claim 9p per person per day on guard, which is pittance. The way we get around it here is we save that 9p per person per day up for a week. Then on a monday, we buy a load of brew kit and milk and give the guard provo a weekly guard box.

Hope some of that info helps fella.

5. I have a question;

What will happen to TA personnel who attend courses in Blandford for instance. Will they be expected to pay for meals, never used to as far as i'm aware.

6. Combat Cookie - that was a bloody brilliant piece of invaluable information and I'm actually amazed that you haven't had the pizz ripped out of you.

Well done! That was a good summary of PAYD!!!!

7. Ok...

Course personnel, whether TA or not.

If you go on course and it is away from your parent unit, you are entitled to free feed for upto 30 days. On the 31st day of your course onwards, you start paying for your meals.
    The reason that you dont pay for those 30 days is to enable your parent unit to complete their admin, they are then able to switch off the food charge after 30 days and then turn the food charge back on when you return to your parent unit.

On a side note...

You DO NOT pay for food under the new PAYD scheme if you are on exercise or ops.

8. As lease you do get food at a PAYD unit, you want to try getting some at units using the new food supply contract.

9. Thanks...

To be honest with you, I was completely negative towards PAYD as it was approachig my unit.
    I didnt want it, I didnt want to know about it and I was totally against it!
    Me and my fellow chefs took enormous amounts of flak getting it instigated into our unit and some of it was starting to get personal.
    However, we got it done (as we all have have to, like it or not) and it is working brilliantly.
    The chefs are happier, the lads eating are happier and at the end of the day it is all about choice now.
    You pay if you eat, you dont pay if you dont eat.

10. HaHa,

Yeah, we had that for a week too, when the food supply contractors changed over.
    Absolute nightmare for us at times, with some food orders turning up at 0300 and just being left at the back of the cookhouse defrosting.
    And other times where the order just hasnt even turned up.
    Hopefully these new food suppliers have had a kick up the ass now and have sorted things out.

11. As you can see long long ago in a galaxay far far away I too was a chef (left in 95).

I can see this being a pretty good idea if it is managed accordingly and if all options are avilable at all times.

Although I do have a couple of questions.

1. What about the early / late meal scenrio, people have a choice so may or may not turn up for said meals. How can you cater for the correct amount?

2. People staying in the local guest house (Jail) how do they get fed?

3. Does the money get handed over when you eat or do you buy tickets for the nice AGC people in advance?

4. Packed meals, how do they work?

5. How do the chefs eat for free and or do they also have to pay (nugde nudge wink wink)

6. How much longer will it be before military chefs are only ever seen in the field and all catering is taken over by contractors?

Anyway a few questions to ponder over.
    Look forward to your responces.

12. Same here, food delivered frozen at 7 at night and no-one to take it off them.

By way Cookie, cheers for the answers. have heard horror stories on here but maybe in some places it works.

13. As you can see long long ago in a galaxay far far away I too was a chef (left in 95).

I can see this being a pretty good idea if it is managed accordingly and if all options are avilable at all times.

Although I do have a couple of questions.

1. What about the early / late meal scenrio, people have a choice so may or may not turn up for said meals. How can you cater for the correct amount?
    Tough one to get around really and involves their Admin Sgt getting around and asking those that are going to be late for a meal if they are actually going to attend. For most late meals we just batch cook or do cooked to order meals.

2. People staying in the local guest house (Jail) how do they get fed?
    Haha... People in nick get free meals whilst under sentence or awaiting sentence. (A good excuse if you run out of money?)

3. Does the money get handed over when you eat or do you buy tickets for the nice AGC people in advance?
    Each unit will be different, but at mine, it is purely cash only till and all meals taken are paid for at that till and nowhere else.

4. Packed meals, how do they work?
    No change really, if they are going on an official duty 5 miles away from the unit, then they can put in for packed meals as per the "old days". People can however, now purchase packed meals from us, for instance if they are going home on a Friday to save paying service station prices. Or they can buy one if they are training over lunch times. Packed meal prices are set at £1.17, £1.50 or £1.99, depending on the type you want.

5. How do the chefs eat for free and or do they also have to pay (nugde nudge wink wink)
    I wish!!!! Chefs are now paying customers too. None of my chefs can get away without paying anymore as we work alongside the contract chefs.

6. How much longer will it be before military chefs are only ever seen in the field and all catering is taken over by contractors?
    Personally, I think that PAYD is going to flip that one on its head. I think that we will slowly lose more civvy chefs now and that military chefs will be the forefront of military catering once again.

Anyway a few questions to ponder over.
    Look forward to your responces.

14. Cookie...Messes, how will the Sgts mess feeding change.
    We have normal mess facilities but rumour i heard was a SNCO could go into the PAYD cookhouse and buy meals? Or is the same cash only system in place in the mess dining room??

15. Another question cookie.

Any difference in the price of a core meal if you live in or out ?