Paxman refused to cross the BBC picket line

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by frenchperson, May 23, 2005.

?
  1. YES

61.4%
  2. NO

24.6%
  3. DONT KNOW

10.5%
  4. WHATS A PICKET LINE?

3.5%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What a man! Respect! Principles before greed!

Now that takes guts when you're in the public eye as much as Jezza. Wogan crossed. Steve Wright crossed. Chris Moyles crossed. These will now be blacklisted in the frenchperson household - not that these were worth a listen anyway. What's this forum's opinion on Trade Union issues such as these?

2. It also takes balls to cross a picket line!!

Dave

3. I'll grant you that, but qualify it by saying 'balls, to the detriment of brains'

4. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Irritating Frog Ringtone.

I have voted Yes to your inane poll. The reason for this is that I would always consider my actions before taking them.

I am a union member and support much of what the union does. As a choice I have opted out of the political fund.

If my union advocated strike action then I would of course consider the options. I can think for myself and if I thought that my union was wrong or not to my thinking then I may consider crossing the picket line. There are many other things to take into consideration at times like this. I may disagree with my union but still agree not to cross the picket line.

I disagree that Paxman was brave, in fact I feel that the ones who crossed the picket line were more brave. However, you have picked people who are fairly safe from their unions, it is the lesser known, ordinary workers who come under the real pressure to not cross the picket line. If they are desparate for their next pay day they they are the brave ones if they do not cross the line but join in. Also, if they need the money to pay bills then they should be allowed to cross the picket lines - safely. We do not live in a banana republic. Each to their own.

5. When you stand up for principles that protect your fellow workers, then you're showing solidarity. OK, think for yourself but always remember, the point of a union is collective strength.

The image I can't forget is from the 1984 Miners' strike - that of the single scab, cowering under a blanket on the back of a bus filled with police tearing past the picket line. To me, that's not balls.

6. I have crossed a picket line twice - I did not agree with the whole French Truckers style approach of the union (of which I am not a member).

I'm not a fan of unions in general - when they get out of control they seek to counterract unfair management decisions by trying to make unreasonable demands on in return. Remember when the Govt was in the grip of the Unions and the economic disaster that caused?

7. Indeed, but there is a happy medium.
    It's my personal view that the unions in Britain signed their own death warrant in 1982. Before the Miner's Strike. When the unions concerned called on workers in shipyards and RR not to put in the extra hors to ready ships and aero engines for the long trip south.

They were ignored of course, but I doubt it was forgotten by Mrs. T.

8. Is that true Biscuits? Shameful.

I remember the MOD techicians buckled down and designed the Herc mid-air refuelling thingy in a matter of hours by working through the night, bless 'em.

9. I'm a union man, I wouldn't cross any picket line. I'd be there telling 'em to fook off. Thank fcuk we have unions, Stops greedy idiot bosses from fleecing workers, and abusing workers rights. W@nkers I work for want to Increse our working week by 2 and a half hours, no pay rise this year and bonus stopped. Nice to see some of the company cars been sent back or downgraded (NOT) They can kiss rusty dirty poo pipe if they think bucko here up for a 40 hour week!

Strike!!!!!

10. So go and get another job! It's a free market, once they realise that people aren't prepared to work for the money they are offering they will pay more.

Incidentally, I am not, have never been and probably will never be a member of a union. The only case where I think it is reasonable to have a strike is on a health & safety matter - if the workers genuinely think something is dangerous and the management aren't doing anything about it then going on strike is fair.

Oh, and HOW big is that sig of yours???

11. That sig is crazy! Any background story for it?

12. when the supermarine factory was handy for german bombers, trade unions at the safer castle bromwich production site thought it would be a good time to hold up output of spitfires while they argued about pay and conditions, but there was only the battle of britain going on, so no worries..

13. CGS

CGS War Hero Moderator

But in this case, it's not about all the 'workers rights' its about the sacking/outsourcing of some 3735 odd workers from an inefficient, publicly funded institution. It's been on the cards for years and its about time they started to get competitive, as I for one don't appreciate my money being wasted on the largest profit making, non-accountable, publicly funded body in the country!

If your argument is generic, rather than specifically about the Beeb, then the merits of one person crossing the picket line should be judged as per that situation, i.e. we live in a democracy, therefore bricks and death threats being hurled at one person who crosses a picket line is inherently non-democratic.

14. I personally enjoy it when Paxman savages bone-headed Union dinosaurs on Newsnight.

Of course, this is different. This is the precious BBC so he wouldn't cross. Fcuking hypocrite.

The BBC is a publicly-funded hidey-hole for left-wing humanities graduates who'd probably fail anywhere else in the public sector. It's not special. The fabric of national life wouldn't disintegrate without it, and the sky didn't fall in because John Humphries wasn't on the radio yesterday.

Anyway, Sky has better crumpet on it.

V!

15. Ah, what a great example.

Most of the miners in Nottinghamshire didn't agree to strike after one of their number (a disabled admin bod) was assaulted by flying pickets during the early, unofficial strike. Thats right, they didn't vote to strike, a cornerstone of any democratic trade union movement. Of course those poor ignorant souls in Yorkshire just followed Scargil blindly in his attempt to overthrow the democratically elected government and create a Marxist state.

As has been mentioned already, I agree that trade unions have a part to play when worker safety is compromised.

My wife (who is a teacher) crossed the picket line because the union had decided to hold a strike during the final exam period for her 5th year students (year 11). She believed that the future of her students was more important than getting extra bourbon biscuits in the staff room. and I fully supported her. Shame a few of her colleagues weren't so professional.