PAX Insurance Company Refuse To Payout

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ukdaytona, Oct 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. INSURERS are refusing to pay out to a British soldier left crippled in a bomb attack – in case he walks again.

Lance Corporal Ryan Knight, 21, was left with a shattered pelvis after his Land Rover hit a mine in Afghanistan’s Helmand Province last month. The blast killed two soldiers and broke his pelvis in eight places.

He has been left in a wheelchair and will need walking aids for the rest of his life. But Ryan has been told his fully comprehensive insurance policy – recommended by the Ministry of Defence – will NOT cover the pelvic injury. Independent company PAX paid out for an injury to his arm, but not the pelvis.

PAX said it would not pay until it sees the extent of his injuries after treatment and can gauge the level of his disability.

Anyone else covered by these people or had similar problems?
    Seems typical insurance company, they takes your money and then refuse to payout when the time comes. Is there anything that can be done to help this squaddie and any others that may suffer similar problems when the times comes?
  2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

A not unreasonable position, provided he's not impoverished by it. Another non-story by the sun.
  3. Also in the telegraph (MoD Newsclipping site)
  4. At first it sounds like PAX has reneged on it's promise but really, it's only doing what all other insurers do. They've coughed up sharpish for some of our lads recently.
  5. It's an emotive subject but I'm guessing that PAX are just working to the advice of doctors. If the Docs say he is likely to walk again (in time) then they can't pay out for a permanent disablement, there will be a time frame applied.
  6. The insurance company are correct in this instance to wait until they can see the extent of his injuries before a payout. If he is permanently disabled it would be highly unlikely and business suicide if they then do not pay out.
  7. Er, where's the problem ? The full extent of Ryans disablity is not yet known.
    I was in the same position after my second set of amputations, its a waiting game, its fustrating and not wishing to put a damper on things if as it states in the scum he was injured "last month" he has a bit of a wait ahead of him.
    I waited over 2 years.Just one other thing , It isnt unreasonable to ask for a part payment in cases of financial hardship. Stuff the pride, ask if you need, you have nothing too lose

Lance Corporal Ryan Knight is one of our green family ,so were his mates , I, like the rest of you wish him well and a speedy recovery and our condolences to the kin of the fallen.

8. Well said Warrior, respect.
  9. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

It's not as if this lad has no money at all - he's still serving, and being paid. His insurance claim will be finalised after he has completed all his treatment. No doubt he'll also make a claim under AFCS and get a pension.

This seems to me to be typical Sun irresponsible reporting - trying to make a story where there isn't one.
  10. WW, while you have unfortunately seen the insurance work from the hard side, I used to see it from the insurers side (as a broker trying to get the best for my clients).

An interim payment could be made very easily, and should be offered (not begged for) as a matter of course as soon as an injury happens and any lasting effects could be estimated. The doctors need to inform the insurer's loss adjusters what the likelyhood of a full recovery, major disability, minor disability or full recovery are.

The insurer could then make a small payment to the injured soldier with a promise that his situation will be reviewed with his medical team whenever there is a change or when the permenant status is arrived at.

What no-one wants is the insurer (PAX is a product underwritted by AIG insurance group) to pay out several tens (or even hundreds) of thousands of pounds, the soldier makes a remarkable full recovery and then has to sell everything because he owes the insurance company their money (and he would have spent most of it on providing mobility access to his home, car, etc at the start while he was still injured).

My suggestion would be that the insurer makes an interim payment now of a couple of thousand pounds (caution: generalisation taking place, and the personal circumstances need to be looked at). This generates faith and goodwill. Should L/Cpl Knight make a full recovery, then the insurance company can waive the right to claim the cash back as a gesture of goodwill and to pay towards the suffering involved, or reclaim it via bearable monthly payments over time. This would generate a massive amount of respect amongst their client base (=increased sales = increased profits). Should his condition deteriorate over time, then the insurance company can keep making payments as the condition worsens up to the limit of their liability.

Only a suggestion to any PAX people reading this. Injured soldiers are an extremely emotive issue, and generates (rightly) far more publicity in the current political climate than recent years. Any insurer involved (especially AIG with massive exposure to defence markets around the world) needs to ensure that its service is without fault and claim handlers, loss adjusters client relations and PR go the 'extra mile' in ensuring a fair and fast response.

On a personal note, having had clients with several large claims against AIG in Central Europe, the insurer has been nothing but professional and the entire process was very slick: the clients still use the same insurer (and AIG is one of the most expensive on the market).
  11. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Permanent total disablement is "total inability to do paid work of any kind, and which will probably last for the rest of your life"

The loss of limbs definition is "permanent, total and irrecoverable loss of use"

If LCpl Ryan is deemed to have total loss of use of his legs, then the payment will be made, but only once doctors have confirmed that the loss of use is irrecoverable. A month post accident, and before treatment is completed, is far too soon for this judgement to be made.

The PTD definition is harder to meet, as Wheelchair warrior is proof of. Loss of use of limbs does not automatically mean that the soldier is unable to undertake paid work.

As for the comment that "If I recover fully, then I will get nothing at all" - quite correct. If he regains full use of his legs then he will not meet the criteria for a claim (other than hospital expenses) and will therefore receive nothing.

As per the other PAX threads - read the wording. If you don't understand what it says, ask. All insurance clearly states what it will and will not pay out for, even if it may take some time for the medical experts to agree on the level of damage which will remain.
  12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I believe one of the PAX bods used to post over on the finance section a while ago. He seemed to be genuinely helpfull and made big efforts to help out those with problems. Can't remember his name though, will try searching.
  13. as usual the problem here stems from one scource...... the press, who only realy want to sell more chip wrappers, I hope at least they bunged the lad a few beer tokens.

just to show how bad the press are on the very same page as the sun link above is a mention of the MacCanns " Tapas 7 " funny, fron the same news international stable the Times calls them the “Tapas Nine”
    salt and vinegar on them chips guv ?
  14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Goes by the name of PAXbloke and last posted 2 days ago so will no doubt look in here. His posts.
  15. Which all soldiers get heavily encouraged to shell out for by the RAO. I believe the MOD spokesman could have worded this better, if indeed this is what he said.