PAX - Holiday insurance

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by AFA06, Apr 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I telephoned the Post Office to get holiday insurance for this weekend - 6 days in Mallorca for a family of 4. £27 which I thought was reasonable but when I gave a BFPO address they changed their mind and gave me their 'military department'.

I telephoned the 'military department' of the Post Office which was answered 'PAX insurance how can I help'? They then quoted me £42 for the exact same insurance. When I asked why there was so much difference between their quote and the PO, it was explained that theirs covers cancellation due to posting or deployment. I explained that I was not due either posting or deployment between now and Saturday - this made no difference on the quote.

Needless to say I have gone to a German travel agent to get cover.

2. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Not got a uk bank account. Many do good hol ins if you keep min in account for free.

3. Some UK bank accounts offer travel cover,but you need to be careful as most will require the journey to start and end in the UK,so if you are BFG, Cyprus etc then you may not be covered.

Read the small print,or phone and ask to be certain before you travel.

4. PAX must be taking the piss. If your holiday is cancelled due to unforseen* service reasons, you are entitled to a 'Refund of Nugatory Holiday Expenditure'. Providing you have normal insurance cover, any uninsured loss will be met out of the public purse. It's all in the relevant JSP, (the number of which escapes me at the moment, but it's something like JSP752 Ch10 S9). If you don't bother with insurance, then you can claim back the same amount, minus the cost of the appropriate NAAFI insurance .

*Unforseen precludes a few things, such as a deployment being extended.