Paul Routledge in the mirror today

#1
What sort of tosser is he? :evil:

Army chief has dannatt again
Paul Routledge 23/11/2007

Britain's top soldier is moaning again. I don't know how he finds time to fight all those wars.

General Sir Richard Dannatt,head of the Army, whinges that squaddies are "devalued, angry and suffering from Iraq fatigue."

This "internal" MoD survey of military morale was clearly destined for the widest possible publication. It's yet another salvo in the battle by the top brass to get more money. Like his retired comrades, General Dannatt is happy to use emotional blackmail about his long-suffering troops to bully the politicians into spending your cash.

His tactics are as objectionable as they are unpleasant. And they will be equally unsuccessful.

The jowly general presumably dreamed up this stunt over an £850 lunch with his French counterpart, though the cheese-eating surrender monkeys aren't actually fighting alongside our troops.

Fewer than one in 10 British soldiers is on active service overseas, yet the top brass insist that the Army is under-manned and overstretched.

They have been ever since I was defence correspondent of the Manchester Evening News 40 years ago - at the height of the Cold War. It's nonsense to say the world is a more dangerous place than it was then.

Eastern Europe was heaving with Russian troops and firepower. There was a nuclear stand-off. Fear of Soviet expansionism was real and well-founded.

Nothing we face today measures up to the Cold War, and it diminishes both us and the top brass to pretend otherwise.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/columnists/routledge/ It's the second story, below football :roll:
 

chimera

LE
Moderator
#2
Anyone explain the "..£850 lunch with French counterpart.." bit?? Other than a stupid attempt to stereotype a senior person as someone that plays fast and loose with someone else's money?

Not of course that the Mirror is entirely without fault here - Robert Maxwell, and that git Piers Moron immediately spring to mind?
 
#3
What, the French "cheese eating surrender monkeys"? You've gotta be in a fight before you can surrender!

Bloke's a throbber and should be beaten with shoes!
 

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
#4
the guy is a classic left wing nutter, anyone criticises the great broon (said with sarcasm) is the enemy.
 
#5
The kind that would write such utter b****cks for publication!

I wonder if he has ever sat in a sangar in a hostile place wondering if some chogi with a grudge is going to send an RPG his way! I wonder if he has ever gone out on patrol in a vehicle covered in 'plastic armour' hoping that it wouldnt get ripped apart by a suprisingly simple yet bloody effective IED. I wonder if he has ever had to say goodbye to his family and friends knowing that there is a chance that he wont come back, whilst leaving that family in a dilapidated hovel, with not even the peace of mind that if he does get killed, he would get a speedy inquest into his death!

I'm sorry he feels so strongly about those 'long suffering troops' and Gen Dannatt whinging! I hope he sleeps safe at night in a country that those very troops have died to protect! Now im not saying that the Cold War was a piece of cake but our Forces have been on tour continuously now since the early 90's.

And a little word of advice to Mr Routledge, Gen Dannatt doesnt find time to fight those wars, the Government seems to be able to find the time and tells him to get on with it, he is just doing what every good serviceman/woman does and says 'Yes, Sir' and gets on with it! You are a sorry excuse for a human being and i look forward to you visiting troops out in helmand and maybe getting a feel of what they do............but we all know that you wont do that now dont we! Prick!!!!!
 
#6
Recce19 said:
What sort of tosser is he? :evil:

Army chief has dannatt again
Paul Routledge 23/11/2007

Britain's top soldier is moaning again. I don't know how he finds time to fight all those wars.

General Sir Richard Dannatt,head of the Army, whinges that squaddies are "devalued, angry and suffering from Iraq fatigue."

This "internal" MoD survey of military morale was clearly destined for the widest possible publication. It's yet another salvo in the battle by the top brass to get more money. Like his retired comrades, General Dannatt is happy to use emotional blackmail about his long-suffering troops to bully the politicians into spending your cash.

His tactics are as objectionable as they are unpleasant. And they will be equally unsuccessful.

The jowly general presumably dreamed up this stunt over an £850 lunch with his French counterpart, though the cheese-eating surrender monkeys aren't actually fighting alongside our troops.

Fewer than one in 10 British soldiers is on active service overseas, yet the top brass insist that the Army is under-manned and overstretched.

They have been ever since I was defence correspondent of the Manchester Evening News 40 years ago - at the height of the Cold War. It's nonsense to say the world is a more dangerous place than it was then.

Eastern Europe was heaving with Russian troops and firepower. There was a nuclear stand-off. Fear of Soviet expansionism was real and well-founded.

Nothing we face today measures up to the Cold War, and it diminishes both us and the top brass to pretend otherwise.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/columnists/routledge/ It's the second story, below football :roll:

He's just another perfect example of the 'Loony Left' of Neue Arbeit,proving - yet again - those oft proven, correct, words of Winston Churchill that...Labour.. ARE UNFIT TO GOVERN...

nuff said ?
 
#7
tramp_on_chips said:
The kind that would write such utter b****cks for publication!

I wonder if he has ever sat in a sangar in a hostile place wondering if some chogi with a grudge is going to send an RPG his way! I wonder if he has ever gone out on patrol in a vehicle covered in 'plastic armour' hoping that it wouldnt get ripped apart by a suprisingly simple yet bloody effective IED. I wonder if he has ever had to say goodbye to his family and friends knowing that there is a chance that he wont come back, whilst leaving that family in a dilapidated hovel, with not even the peace of mind that if he does get killed, he would get a speedy inquest into his death!

I'm sorry he feels so strongly about those 'long suffering troops' and Gen Dannatt whinging! I hope he sleeps safe at night in a country that those very troops have died to protect! Now im not saying that the Cold War was a piece of cake but our Forces have been on tour continuously now since the early 90's.

And a little word of advice to Mr Routledge, Gen Dannatt doesnt find time to fight those wars, the Government seems to be able to find the time and tells him to get on with it, he is just doing what every good serviceman/woman does and says 'Yes, Sir' and gets on with it! You are a sorry excuse for a human being and i look forward to you visiting troops out in helmand and maybe getting a feel of what they do............but we all know that you wont do that now dont we! Prick!!!!!
My bold, I was a cold war 'warrior' and can say it was a piece of p*ss and would go on bended knee to all those who are serving now. It grips me how much shite he writes and believes it as well. As to his 1 in 10 on active service...well..........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
#9
Routledge claims to have been a 'defence' journo for 40 years.It's a pity that he's learned nothing in that time.
 
#10
Iscoed said:
He's just another perfect example of the 'Loony Left' of Neue Arbeit,proving - yet again - those oft proven, correct, words of Winston Churchill that...Labour.. ARE UNFIT TO GOVERN...

nuff said ?
Technically he's more Old Labour, and has certainly never been a friend to Blair and Brown, he was instrumental in getting Mandleson sacked (can't remember which time... think it might have been the first) for one. Don't really see what you're getting worked up about; 'Left-wing journalist doesn't support increase in defence spending'. What did you expect?
 
#11
Some Tw@t from The Mirror said:
Fewer than one in 10 British soldiers is on active service overseas, yet the top brass insist that the Army is under-manned and overstretched.
I am trying to work out where he got these numbers from.
All statistics are sourced from wikipedia , so I accept no responsibility for their accuracy.

Total army strength = 107,730 Regular

Total deployed on active Service = 7,000 Herrick + 5,000 Telic = 12,000 Total

Dividing one by the other gives you 11.1% (round it down to 10%)

Of course this does not take into account those on pre-deployment, or other training, other overseas committments or are not available for deployment.

Still, you can prove anything with statistics.

PB
 
#12
I must admit, those 6 years I did in Hanover waiting for the third shock army was really hard work compared to Telic/Herrick, I mean, I saw a Soxmis car once!

The lads/lasses these days are just sooooo lucky, I'm not sure how they would cope with having to drink 5 large steins of lager in an hour down at disco ducks.
 
#13
I presume the Boss has been 'brisk' with this journo at some point?

Assuming it's not an ironic piece that is.
 
#14

cpunk

LE
Moderator
#15
Routledge is a class warrior of the old left with a massive chip on his shoulder about people who have done better in life than he has. Thus anyone who gets to the top in the armed forces is automatically assumed to be a snob and bully whose success is based on their brutal contempt for the working classes; and anyone who gets to the top of the Labour Party is assumed to be a class traitor and sell-out. He exemplifies the politics of envy and resentment.

I doubt he would think so, but the stuff he writes fuels the attitudes of people like the scumbags who complained about the Headley Court patients in Leatherhead swimming pool. It's all about 'rights', demands, fcuk the system and give me what you owe me. The man's a maggot.
 
#16
Paul Routledge said:
Squaddies must now rely on the health service (I presume that officers go private).

Well, welcome to the real world, corporal. That's what the rest of us have to put up with all the time. Why should an injury suffered in Basra count for more than one suffered in Birmingham?

We have a volunteer army. There are no conscripts. These men and women choose to place themselves in the line of conflict.
:D What a buffoon. Don't know how to feel. On the one hand his stupidity makes me laugh on the other I bet he's paid a shed-load of money for saying such stupid things.

Does he not know that soldiers do not choose to go to war? They join up to defend Britain and do as they are told! I am willing to bet almost anything that this clown has not been an embedded reporter recently. Funny old thing, but every single journalist I have read or wtched that actually did time with the army on operations had nothing but praise for them That speaks volumes. This "man" is just spouting ignorance and too stupid to know how daft he sounds.

The reason we do not have conscripts is that some of our best citizens are willing to volounteer to defend our liberties.
 
#17
Well if the CGS has had 20K of expenses as alleged he can not have had many lunches at £850. This journo needs slotting. IMHO. It just shows how low New Labour will sink to trash any one they do not like. I blame Campbell.
 
#18
Anybody else want to stab him in the face?
 

cpunk

LE
Moderator
#19
Perturbed said:
Does he not know that soldiers do not choose to go to war? They join up to defend Britain and do as they are told! I am willing to bet almost anything that this clown has not been an embedded reporter recently. Funny old thing, but every single journalist I have read or wtched that actually did time with the army on operations had nothing but praise for them That speaks volumes. This "man" is just spouting ignorance and too stupid to know how daft he sounds.

The reason we do not have conscripts is that some of our best citizens are willing to volounteer to defend our liberties.
He's not really a reporter at all: AFAIK he writes a political column which is based on him hanging around buying drinks for politicians and then attacking them in print. He's probably made enough money to buy a semi in Ealing.

He's against the armed forces because he sees them as a bastion of the establishment that he wants to bring down. If he p1sses all over us in print, it might put off a few potential recruits and he gets another notch on his 'class war' escutcheon. To be honest, I'd be amazed if he wasn't a covert adherent to one of the various Trotsky-ist groups that advocates 'entry-ism' into the Labour Party.

Is there a difference between a wound gained in Basra and a traffic injury in Birmingham? Yes, of course there is: the wound gained in Basra only happened because the individual in question had the moral courage and sense of citizenship to volunteer to serve the democratic state; a traffic injury in Birmingham, no matter how tragic, is mere happenstance.
 
#20


No wonder he has a chip on his shoulder, he is a ginger cnut.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads