Paul Potts

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Machristo, Jun 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First off, I haven't watched this Britains Got Talent malarkey (mostly I feel because of the presence of Piers Morgan, but at least in small part because I think all shows of this nature are wnak) but i did cop the arse-end of the show last night, and heard this chap (somewhat unsurprisingly the winner) belting out that chart topping Pavarotti number, Nessun Dorma.

Now while I'm not your common-or-garden opera man, I do have a great fondness of music, in all it's incarnations. And I think this feller is fcuking fantastic. I won't be buying his album (it encourages the producers of these p1ss-poor excuses for television, and while it would mean a decrease in the amount of Simon Cowell on telly, it is undeniably a bad thing) but I am heading for LimeWire this very moment to add his voice to my already substantial music collection. I would encourage you all to do the same.

For those others of you wise enough not to watch this sort of telly, I furnish you with these links of Potts performing Nessun Dorma and Time To Say Goodbye. They really are worth listening to, and not even the grating voice of Piers Morgan can cheapen that.

Paul Potts- Time To Say Goodbye
    Paul Potts- Nessun Dorma

I particularly like the changing of the judges face's as his voice hits them like a Muhammed Ali right hook.

I genuinely feel that the Royal Variety Performance will benefit from his being there.

*Prepared for incoming*

2. I heard it also but is he any good? Looked a bit wierd but if there any opera buffs out there what's your opinion, one trick pony or a potential new voice on stage.

3. I do a fair bit of playing for semi-pro orchestras and show bands and enjoy opera sometimes. I'd describe him as very good amateur technically, though clearly he's been properly trained and he has a lovely sounding voice. I'm pretty sure he's been involved with Bath Opera before, which is a very good amateur group doing opera rather than show stuff.

Having said that he's definitely better than someone Russell Watson. I can't understand why he's famous at all and Paul has that all important likeability factor. He doesn't appear to have the raging ego of many soloists.

I'm guessing he'd survive as a pro now simply because he's got a very good voice and people want to listen to him singing, which at the end of the day is what it's all about. I was very pleased he won.

I'd encourage anyone to buy his album if you like his music, as you're supporting him (as well as all the corporate unpleasantness, unfortunately).

4. You know when I heard some bloke was on telly called Paul Potts I got quite exited but only because I was expecting a show that involved genicide rather than opera

5. just watched the Nessun Dorma clip again, Amanda Holden looks like she had an orgasm at about 1:56 as the song peaks....

6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

whatever flicks your switch I guess...

7. Brain cancer and Star Trek.

He was good in War of the Worlds live though.

8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I understand that Pol Potts took asome courses in Italy to enhance his technical ability and even had a masterclass with Pavarotti. Potts has an excellent voice, but suffers from a poor self-image, which inhibits his stage perfomance a little. With confidence and coaching, he could be a great talent. His voice has the same tenor timbre as Carreras, which won't hurt at all.
    Rusel Watson may not be to everyone's liking, but he has a superb voice, and anyone who has seen him live will attest to the power and tone that he has.