Paul Burns RIP

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by k13eod, Jun 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Shocked and stunned to hear of the sudden passing of our very good friend Paul Burns. For those that didn't know Paul, the man was an inspiration to all those who met him. Life could not throw up any difficulty or challenge that Paul would not meet with determination and courage.

Paul was a survivor of the cowardly IRA attack at Warrenpoint in 1979, losing a leg and suffering horrific injuries. Despite this Paul continued to serve in the Parachute Regiment and went on to complete thousands of parachute jumps. As a BLESMA member Paul clocked up thousands of miles of sailing in some of the most treacherous seas on the planet. He skied, dived and tried his hand at anything challenging. Paul would do more in a year than many able bodied persons do in a lifetime, he was truly inspiring.

Last year he had his other leg amputated as the wounds sustained in 1979 had never truly healed. Within a couple of months Paul was back parachuting and cycling and took part in the opening ceremony of the 2012 Paralympics as part of the high wire act.

In this day and age we talk of sports and film stars as being legends. Paul was a true legend, a hero of our time and will be remembered with great fondness and a smile by all those whose lives he touched.

RIP friend and drink a flagon for me in Valhalla.

• Like Like x 6
  2. I'm truly shocked by the news. He always seemed like he had years left in him. Any idea what the cause was?

I first met Paul a few years ago at the BLESMA meet up for Remembrance Day, there's a picture somewhere with us rolling towards the Cenotaph.

An absolute top bloke who was one of those that brought BLESMA to the fore and will be sorely missed.

3. 52's no age, without being insensitive, any idea of the cause?

4. Apparently died in a motorcycle accident.

RIP

• Like Like x 2
  5. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

This is pure speculation at present on my part. His lad mentioned a heart attack, he broke his leg and was in hospital, I'm assuming a blood clot broke loose.

If thats the case its not the end We (me and the mrs) would have expected for Paul. I always thought he'd bail in with a failed chute or fall of a boat or cark it attempting some world record for some crazy shit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I met him whilst I was working on the Olympic Ceremonies. An inspirational guy. I hope he is at peace.

7. Nicked from K13.

RIP.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

I hope he's tearing around the Halls of Valhalla on two new legs with an axe in one hand and a beer in the other. Crazy arsse son of a bitch was an inspiration to me and to anyone who ever knew him.

Only paul would purposefully pick a three legged dog!

9. I wouldn't normally post in RIP thread for someone I never met. However I read Paul Burns' book "A Fighting Spirit" and I hope the memory of his achievements will live on to inspire others.

Truly a great loss. RIP

• Like Like x 1
  10. Got to know Paul very well while helping out on BLESMA ski trips. He was an inspiration not only to me as an able bodied helper, those amputees on the trip, but also to my disabled son who was utterly taken by Paul's attitude and approach. As a direct result he has changed his lifestyle.

Paul touched (in a good way) everyone he met. His influence probably goes way beyond anything he could have realised. He will be sorely missed. And yes, if there is any justice he will be charging around Valhalla leading the residents in a riotous party!

My condolences to his family, friends and his dog

11. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

12. I first met Paul about 18 months after Warrenpoint when he was released from physio and " soldiered on" initially as a Parachute Rigger at the Army Parachute Centre.
    From Day 1 he was a joy to work and party with and this period lasted 2 years. Netheravon at this time was Shag Central crammed with Wrac, Wraf and Wren Monday to Friday ( Thanks Jacky !) and every weekend Southampton Uni would bring fresh batches of impressionable young lovelies to jump out of airplanes and - more often than not- screw their handsome and dashing young Instructors.
    Paul was always in the thick of the action. He had a number of puppets knitted that fitted his stump just below the knee.
    Having picked his target for the evening he would sidle up next to her, raise his puppetted stump as if it was sitting on the bar next to her and with a bit of crap ventriloquism get her to buy the puppet a beer.
    It never failed. Neither did Paul. It was a privilage knowing him.

• Like Like x 11
  13. sounds like a top guy, RIP,