Paul Bremmers Take on Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Jailorinummqasr, Jan 13, 2006.

?
  1. Yes - An incompetent US politician

65.2%
  2. No - A model diplomat who got it right

4.3%
  3. Don't care as long as he is not in charge of Phase 4 of Op Iranian Freedom

30.4%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From th NY Times::

In full as website requires registration.

Clearly not his fault :oops:

It also smacks of the pernicious optimism that Gen Aylwyn identified....

2. From the piece quoted:
    "While the urgent need for modern highways, electrical generating plants and the like was clear, we should have anticipated that building them would take a long time."

Because this, of course, was the first time in the history of mankind that such projects had ever been undertaken.

With devastating insight like this, I'm surprised anything went wrong at all in Eyerack

MsG

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Having worked for the CPA, I have to say that, if he had done as he said in that article, things would be a lot better here now.

He didn't, they aren't, but things are indeed getting better. 20/20 hindsight is a great thing, and we could all have done things better, but don't make the assumption that things would have been that different here if we had acted differently.

Oh, and sorry to disappoint a lot of you, but the Iraqis are still genuinely grateful to Messrs Bush and Blair for releiving them of a truly murderous dictatorship, that blighted whole generations.

Whatever Government they decide on in the future, it will be their decision, not one imposed by a handful of Tikriti gangsters.

4. not for a while........................................

5. Nor a decision imposed on them by the US either. So hello Shia theocracy and Kurdish independence.

6. I feel that slide needs some context applying. The Shia theocracy is taking shape quite nicely in the South - just try being female and walking round "provocatively dressed" on the university campus in Basra for a demonstration. Whether or not it includes the Sunnis and what label they paste over it remains to be seen, the average person probably isn't that fussed either way. They've got what they want so if the others want to come along, let them. And as for the Kurds, the key word there is federalism which they interpret to mean as being a nation state in all but name and keeping the Iraqi flag mainly to keep the Turks et al off their backs.

Just my admittedly pessimistic view. I'd love to be proved wrong, I just think it takes more than a purple finger to change thousands of years of history.