Patties - You know, the proper ones

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by putteesinmyhands, May 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I went back to the north east for the weekend and indulged in my absolute favouritest delicacy - the Pattie. Not pasty, nor that Jamaican spicy pasty thing, but a slice of cod sandwiched between two slices of potato, battered and deep fried.

Known as a Pattie along the North Yorkshire coast, it's otherwise called a Fishcake in some parts of West Yorkshire and a Scallop somewhere else (but I forget where). I've had great success producing them at home (although you can't get the really fresh cod that produces the authentic flavour) and the wife made an interesting but also tasty version using salmon, but it's difficult finding taties big enough to provide the two slices.

As I don't believe that chippies make their own Patties (after all, they buy their chips already chipped), they must be getting their uncooked Patties from a supplier. Anyone know of a supplier?

Alternatively, I can't believe that the rest of the country is letting this delicacy go unnoticed. It must be sold under a different name. Can I have some feedback to let me know which parts of the country produce this ambrosia of the Gods and by what name it is revered?

When my old fellah eventually pops his clogs, I'll have no other reason to travel back up North (other than the beer, the atmosphere, countryside, seascape etc.) and I'll have to accept that my Patties aren't £1.70 apiece (some places less than £1) but, with fuel, will cost over £35 each (I always have at least two).

2. I do remember those when I went to W Yorks and asked for a fishcake. Absolute joy to eat and I remember thinking 'Why can't they make fishcakes like that back home?'

Home being the REAL north-east Puttees, on the Tyne ye knaa.

Not many outlets out here but thanks for the memory jog, I will be reaching for the deep-fryer soon.

Wonder if you can do a healthy veggie alternative?

3. I suppose you could sprinkle a bit of freshly chopped parsley between the fish and the potato.

And garnish it with some crispy fried bacon rind. :)

4. I love fish patties (as they were/are called in Middlesbrough), and have thought about trying to replicate them, but how to reproduce chip shop batter?

BTW, did you also get 'scraps', the bits of loose batter trawled out of the fryer? Used to get them with chips as a kid.

5. Plenty of recipes for beer batter. I find that Brown Ale works best - but make the wife feel guilty by declaring "What! You've used Newcastle Brown!!!" It may not mean much to you, but I once had to explain violently that you DON'T use Pussers to feed the Xmas pudding. Nor do you put Coke in Laphraoig.

Scraps? Yeah! Back in the '60s, I used to call into the chippy on Waterloo Road on the way back from Cubs. Six pennorth (old money) of chips and scraps - and the owner knew exactly what time I'd be coming, so he'd have a little tail-end of cod that he'd hide in the scraps. It's funny, but I'd be embarrassed to ask for scraps now - I've always felt they're a special treat for kids.

6. Recipe:

Take a mahoosive (by modern standards) Maris Piper potato - 5" to 6" long and 4" to 5" wide. Cut in half lengthways, then cut a 1/4" thick slice from each half. Don't discard the remainder, use it to make chips.

Heat beef dripping in a deep fryer (see - Health and Safety coming in) to 190 degrees C. Traditionalists will 1/3 fill a chip pan and heat it until it just begins to smoke.

Dab the slices of potato dry and slide a slice of fresh Whitby, Staithes or Redcar cod between them. The fish should be the same dimensions as the potato, maybe a little bit thicker. Generously coat in thick beer batter and slide slowly into the hot dripping. Cook until just beyond golden brown.

Take out and stack on end in an oven pre-heated to 60 degrees C.

Put chips into the hot dripping, removing them after about 20 seconds. Leave the chips out for about 30 seconds or so until the dripping has returned to 190 degrees. Put the chips back in for another 20 seconds, remove them for another 30 seconds. Put them back in and leave until a pale golden brown, then remove. Allow the dripping to return to 190 degrees, then put the chips back in until they are golden brown and are crispy on the outside.

Remove and serve with the Patties - lots of salt and vinegar. You can only overdo the salt if you have a heart condition - even then, consider the phrase "quality of life". You'll have the ultimate meal - chip shop patties and homemade chips.

You could have boiled some processed peas to near extinction, adding more salt and vinegar and even a bit of mint, but I've found that this is an unnecessary complication and leaves you open to accusations of being vegetarian.

If you're still hungry, toss a couple of slices of bread into the dripping, leave until starting to brown and drain in the pre-heated oven for a few minutes, letting it become crispy. A minute or so in the toaster is a better alternative to the oven, but I didn't say so, OK?

7. Our local chippy used to do Savoury Patties. It was a mixture of mashed potato and sage and onion stuffing, formed into a patty then dipped in batter and fried. They don't do them anymore, but this thread may see me experimenting at home. Oh and the cod/potato combo, is scallop in Cumbria.

8. Where I am thats known as a tattie fritter.
    Will have to give Puttes' recipe a try.

9. When I moved to from London to Sheffield it took a lot of getting used to the Chip Shop vernacular. Fish Cakes became Parsley Cakes, Bits became Scraps; Scallops (battered potato slice) and Fish Cakes (as described above) were a revelation. All would have been good - except I spent all my three years there looking for decent curry sauce.

Oh, and gravy on chips - just wrong.

10. As I kid I used to live within 10 minutes of the Chippy on Butcher Hill in Leeds which was used in the "Fat Friends" programme which was shown on ITV(Yes it was a real chippy).

They have always served "Fish Cakes" as described by Puttees.

My folks have moved a little further away now but I still go out of my way for a Fish Cake when I am oop north visiting.

11. You should try going to Jockistan. I asked for Fish and chips in Aberdeen and got a blank look, then someone told me to ask for a 'fish supper', which is f & c. You ask for this even if it's lunchtime.

12. I come from Thirsk North Yorks we used call them fishcakes, when I was a child.

My great auntie used to live next door but one to a fish & chip shop at the town end, now a funeral palour.

I used to hang out the chap with who owned the place, if I remember correctly for his fish cakes he made he used cooked fish mashed up, and placed between two pieces of potatoe's that he didn't sell from the day previous, covered in batter.

I always thought fishcakes were good value in those days they cost six old pence.

As an aside I have fondness for fish cold (chip-shop) between two pieces of bread, and cold fish & chips, used to have them re-fried for breakfast as a child.

13. FFS, is there absolutely bugger all that the English won't whine about?

14. No, we're a very inventive race and will always find something.

As do you, apparently, whining about the English whining.

15. This didn't really happen did it ? Not that you asked for a fish supper, that's pretty much the defacto standard in Scotland, especially the West. I'll beat myself to death with the role of cellotape on my desk if a chippy in Scotland didn't know what fish and chips was.