Pattern '44 web belt or not?

The 44 patt belt was IIRC a 3 piece affair. I think there was a butt pack issued occasionally which you attached the left and right bits to and the yoke straps went on the top of the pack. There were a number of modifications in material and design for the Malayan Emergency 49-51 and odd looking bits turned up in surplus stores and cadet units for years. But it was shit stuff really and we all wanted 58patt stuff no matter what condition it was. I am pretty sure I saw single piece 44 belts too. Possibly the early issue kit.?

Several countries (the Dutch, the Danes, the Greeks and oddly the Israelis) in the period 1945 to 1970(ish) had webbing that broadly looked like British 1937 patt, only lightly adapted so that the M1910 hanging clips from US sourced bayonet sheaths, entrenching tools and water bottles could be dangled off it. That's what the eyelets on the bottom edge are.

Another bit of evidence, would be to measure the belt thickness. IIRC, 44 patt is narrower than 37/58/PLCE belts.

Right. So the background to these Dutch belts is interesting.

Immediately post-WW2, the Dutch army, like many others, were re-equipped by the British: BD, 1937 webbing, No.4 rifles, BREN guns, Vickers guns and so on. It was equipped like this that they fought their last colonial war in Indonesia.

In Korea, all non-Commonwealth formations were re-equipped by the Americans. Uniforms, weapons, the lot. An exception is the Belgians, who had SAFN 49 rifles in .30-06, using Springfield chargers so kept them since there was a degree of interoperability there.

So the Dutch had a British period and an American period post-WW2, before they adopted the FN-FAL etc.

The point of these M52 belts is to be compatible with both sets of webbing kicking around in the system post-Korea - they're based on 1937 pattern (which was sold really widely by Mills - a lot of random stuff that's 37-patt type but not actually 37 patt is sold on e-bay as British is Italian, Greek, Portuguese or other), but the eyelets mean that you can attach US bits and bobs to it. It's effectively a hybrid belt, compatible with both.

It's a 44 pattern belt I've got one in the garage I skip licked in Germany almost new and can still make out the NSN and manfucature date on it will grab a pic tomorrow if anyone is interested.

exspy

LE
It's a 44 pattern belt I've got one in the garage I skip licked in Germany almost new and can still make out the NSN and manfucature date on it will grab a pic tomorrow if anyone is interested.
I'm interested, but I think we're agreed that it's Dutch or some other small countries post-war equipment.

Cheers,
Dan.

Bad Smell

Swinger
Saw this display in the AWM in Canberra the other day. Looks like they were issued during the days of the Indonesian Confrontation in Malaya.

So I would say fifties and into early sixties.

DSCN2471.JPG

Australian Army went into the Vietnam War with a mixture of WW2/'44 Pattern stuff and yankee bits and pieces until everything came on line. The jungle pack developed during the Vietnam War was still on issue in the eighties.

Bad Smell

Swinger
And before you ask. A view from the front.

As for the Mk.5 Jungle Carbine, I tried one when a lad and hated the kick on it. On the other hand the SMLE No.1 Mk. III* was an absolute joy.

DSCN2472.JPG

exspy

LE
No worries I'll grab a couple of pics tomorrow mines is a single peice belt
Thanks for the photos and that is a '44 pattern belt, but it's not one piece. Nice specimen though.

Cheers,
Dan.

Wore a 44 pattern belt on and off until I left in 2015. Mostly a statement of course, back in the 80s I wore OG bush shirts for same reason!

HE117

LE
Wore a 44 pattern belt on and off until I left in 2015. Mostly a statement of course, back in the 80s I wore OG bush shirts for same reason!
..yep, me too!

Finest belt ever issued IMHO..

Latest Threads