Pattern 1853 bayonet????

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Estwing, May 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know the history behind the Patter 1853 bayonet? I've aquired one in excellent nick!

2. By late 1853 a total of 20,020 bayonets were ordered.
    The contractors were:

R & W Aston 1,070
    S. Hill & Sons 4,220
    Heighton & Lawrence 1,300
    Geo Salter & Co 3,080
    G.W & E Roe 2,220
    J Roe & Son 3,400
    Willian Deakin & Son 4,100

I could probably tell you more but it is rather late in the evening.

3. Well, it was the first issue bayonet to have a locking ring; apart from that it was much the same as earlier patterns. It seems to have been made in two weights: early ones at 11oz, later ones at 13.5oz.
    There was an official modification from 1871 that adapted them for the Martini-Henry until declared obsolete once the longer 1876 Pattern came into service (to compensate for the shorter rifle, I think).

So, have you got an 1853 or 1853/71 pattern of early or late manufacture? Hope that someone else will have the muzzle or socket dimensions for the Enfield and Martini-Henry rifles 'cause I haven't...

4. Anyone know where I might get a locking ring for an 1853 bayonet? I have a bayonet and scabbard, but it's missing the locking ring...

5. Replica bayonets, for the Enfield P1853, are made by the boat load, for American Civil War re-enactors.. Parts "ditto", at least in the USA.